overall
RATINGS: 724   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76/5   EST. CALORIES: 114   ABV: 3.8%
Apple Ale sings with the fresh crisp taste of Wisconsin Apples. Our brewmaster begins with a brown ale base employing Wisconsin farmed wheat and a blend of Cortland, MacIntosh and Jonathan apples. Our apple growing friends squeeze them especially for this brew. Expect this ale to pour a beautiful copper color. The fresh bouquet of Apple will rise to meet you even before the glass touches your lips.

muzzlehatch (4969) - Beloit, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 13, 2001
UPDATED: JUL 27, 2016 UPDATE 16.07.25 on tap at the brewery. This is the first time I’ve seen this on tap, and I had to give it a shot; glad I did, it’s much more sour and complex than I remembered, with the same amazing sweet-tart balance that the flagship cherry and raspberry beers display, oakier and with more farmy notes than the last bottles I had (a couple of years ago). Hmm, why don’t they put these in 750s?

(2001, from old notes): One of my favorite fruit beers, and another fine product from this great Wisconsin brewery. Now I ask you, in the forum thread on ’great beer states’ why wasn’t Packerland mentioned? Lakefront is actually my favorite domestic brewery and New Glarus is up there. Maybe it’s cuz they don’t get wide enough distribution... or maybe Old Style and Schlitz just drop the state down too much.

omhper in Montreal #2 (with MartinT,tiggmtl,Rastacouere,DYCSoccer). Sometimes the memory holds up, and this is a prime case...12 oz bottle (bring back the big ones guys!)...cloudy cider-cognac color, sharp baked apple-spice aroma, a bit buttery and pastry-like late...juicy fresh cider and a touch of spice, vanilla and bourbon in the flavor....very low carbonation (the only real problem), white-wine mouthfeel.

obisbeer (568) - Barcelona, SPAIN - NOV 9, 2004
Nice coper brown w/small head. Gorgeous nose of apple cider with light spice notes. Medium weight w/sweet cider finihs and lingering apple flavors. More than apple, I ican almost pick out hte different varieties. Fresh with just the right sweetness, almost like a hard cider but w/a malty lushness that is so clean and beautiful! WOW

clvand0 (350) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - MAY 24, 2005
Thanks to kmpitz2 for bringing one of these for tasting. This one pours an amber color with a very small head that dissipates quickly and doesn’t leave much lacing on the glass. Awesome aroma. Apples and more apples. Not tart or sour, but just a nice apple smell. Not sure how they did that and avoided the sourness. The flavor is excellent. Lots of non-sour apple flavor with some caramel. Wish I knew how they did this beer because I would brew it as my house beer. Loved it.

kp (10880) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - SEP 1, 2007
Date: 10/31/1999
Mode: Bottle
Source: Belmont Station, Portland

muddy orange, strong granny apple aroma, rich apple flavor, not at all like a cider, not sweet or bitter, like drinking a dry apple butter
-------- /> Date: 06/04/2006

the best applesauce in a glass ever

Aroma: 10/10; Appearance: 8/10; Flavor: 9/10; Palate: 8/10; Overall: 19/20
Rating: 4.6/5.0
Drinkability: 10/10
Score: ***4

PhillyCraft (7934) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 23, 2011
Bottle thanks to Scott. Pours a hazy orange, minimal head and very little lacing. Aromas of cherries, fuji apple cider, nutmeg, vanilla, cherry water ice. Taste is cinnamon spice, puckery skin of apple, cherry pie, bread crust, creamy apple juice finish. Touch of oakiness in the finish. Has a similiar profile to the Enigma plus the addition of ripe apple goodness. Another ridiculous fruit beer from New Glarus. Delicious

Travlr (26091) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - OCT 6, 2011
Holy cow, this one is amazing. Bottle at Meridian Pint, courtesy of Whitney, thank you ma’am! The aroma was like having a dozen warm apple turnovers shoved up your nose at the same time - but in a god way. The taste is equally shocking, not too sweet, not too sour. Tons of fruits plus all the stuff that goes in those apple turnovers, like raisins, very very light and subtle cinnamon, and that gooey stuff that ends up in between all the little chunks of apple. I’ll say it again. Amazing.

stevencon (525) - Sarasota, Florida, USA - JUL 2, 2012
12oz bottle from a trade with Atom: Clear orange copper color with a nice fluffy head. Aromas of tart apples and caramel, some breadyness, kind of reminds me of apple pie. I started to get the aroma as soon as I poured it. Taste of sweet caramel malts with a tart apple fruityness. The taste is very natural and not artificial. Dry finish. Great full mouth feel without being heavy I could drink a lot of the beer and still enjoy. I hope to get more someday.

starewich (170) - - NOV 25, 2013
The apple flavor is perfect, not too sweet or too tart, and doesn’t overwhelm the crackery beer base. It’s not an equal partnership but it’s closer than most and certainly coudn’t be mistaken for simple cider. The low ABV is making me seriously consider drinking a zillion of these. Yum yum yum yum. Wisconsin!

Frozer (241) - Illinois, USA - JUL 15, 2015
Poured into a pint. Copper apple juice like color. Same aroma, fresh pressed apples. Perfect apple flavor. Not too much like a beer and not too much like and overly sweet cider. Low carbonation fits the bill.

MetalNHopHead (2190) - Lincoln, Nebraska, USA - NOV 12, 2016
An ale so good it temporarily turned me into a stuttering idiot (well, more of a stuttering idiot than usual). If it weren’t for the New Glarus name, I wouldn’t have purchased this. I don’t really like cider (unless I’m really drunk). I’m not even very keen on apples (probably the most overrated fall offering outside of pumpkins). I was totally unprepared for how much I liked Apple Ale. Jesus H. Christ. It’s basically the most crisp, delicious apple juice you could ever hope to drink. With a little booze. Does a bottle of this a day keep the doctor away? If so, sign me up.