overall
RATINGS: 716   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.47/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
100% Wisconsin malt of six different varieties impart the natural toasted color to the bottle conditioned unfiltered ale. Clean hazelnut notes result from these carefully chosen barley malts. Hops from Slovenia, Bavaria and the Pacific Northwest give Fat Squirrel its backbone.

pch49 (4) - Alabama, USA - DEC 30, 2012 does not count
12 oz bottle. Pours brown/amber. wonderful aroma - malts, caramel, hazelnut on back end. Very nice body. Well done New Glarus.

gnatman (10) - - MAR 8, 2012
Whenever I find myself in Wisconsin, this is always something I look for. I really wish they would distribute nationally.

punkabilly1970 (4) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 14, 2014 does not count
This is a nice solid brown ale. This will remind you of your first bottle of Newcastle when you were a kid, but without the awful skunked smell/taste.

AdamSplitter (7) - Mount Prospect, Illinois, USA - SEP 21, 2007 does not count
Bottle in Montello, Wi. This is my favorite beer. Nut brown with hazelnut notes. Rich mouthfeel, very malty, barely detectable hops. Finishes smooth and creamy with hints of caramel and toffee. I didn’t consider this a "brown ale" at first, thinking more rich "amber", but the name correctly implies nutty brown. Not as rich or heavy as a Newcastle.

78samh (289) - Olympia, Washington, USA - OCT 2, 2010
12 oz bottle from my uncle Tom( thanks! ) Poured a reddish brown lighter than I thought it would but normal for one of my favorite style of beer. Great flavor throughout a with malty, nutty, toasty and mildly hoppy goodness. This is in my top 10. I wish I lived closer to WIsc. since this is only available there. :(

kosko20 (352) - Bemidji, Minnesota, USA - SEP 16, 2008
This is a top notch brown ale. Pour is a orange, reddish brown with an off white, thick head. Aroma is pure, crisp and clean of hazelnuts, caramel, malts, and barley. Flavor is hazelnut malts and other various malty flavors. Palate is smooth, and warm and finishes dry with a slight bitterness. Very impressed.

drpimento (3814) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 21, 2010
Wow, talk about true to style! Poured with a medium sized, cream colored head with light brown highlights, that lasts and lots of lace. Aroma is malty, chocolate, a bit roasty, toffee. Flavor is like aroma; great nut flavor. Body is full, a bit chewy, satisfying, with excellent carbonation. Finish is like flavor and perfectly balanced with slowly tapering medium length. Session beer.

VeeDubber (21) - Florida, USA - DEC 7, 2011
Aroma- Just about everything you expect a nut brown to be. Nutty, malty, undertones of syrup Appearance- Coppery brown Taste- Nutty, malty, some maple syrup, some toastiness. Overall- This beer was given to me by some awesome friends I have from work that were up in Wisconsin. Definitely one of the better nut browns I have had in a while. One I would recommend to someone who is looking for one to use as a basis of comparison to other nut browns.