overall
RATINGS: 1266   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.06/5   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale. Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth-watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

DarkElf (3066) - La Jolla, California, USA - OCT 21, 2005
(750 ml bottle: Obtained in trade with CaptainCougar, thanks Tom!) Aged for nearly one year in my cellar, this quintessential American-made raspberry beer is fabulous, a beer brimming with the intense flavor of tart, tangy, yet sweet raspberries. In a way, it has some vinegar characteristics, which I think has intensified with the aging, but it tastes wonderful. Medium-full in body, effervescent, and quite acidic on the palate, but because of the tartness, the palate remains refreshed for the entire session. Naturally, the nose jubilantly exudes a strong raspberry aroma, somewhat sweet, but very tart, with balsamic vinegar being very strong. Dark ruddy purple color, very cloudy, and only slightly translucent through the center of the body. The tall pinkish white head settles to If you like fresh raspberries and dessert in general, this beer gives both in one glass, but balances that with a superb tartness so that this isn’t like drinking fruit juice. And exceptional fruit beer.

matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - OCT 19, 2005
Thanks to a forgotten rater for sending me this delicious treat many months ago!

It was the perfect beer to accompany the lovely meal that the girl I am dating prepared. We sat down to chopped grilled chicken breast atop a fresh arugula salad with cranberries and pears. The dressing is what pulled the beer and food together; a fresh balsamic and raspberry vinaigrette.

The beer poured a somewhat muddy crimson / brune body with edges of amber. The head was a dirty pink hue and didn’t last long, although the lacing did. The aroma was marvelous! Some oak and tart balsamic vinegar suggestions sit amidst the sweet yet lightly bitter raspberry. There is a nice malt complexity, toffee, biscuit, and piecrust. It all pulls together so nicely! This is so amazingly real and far more delicious than those nontraditional Lindimans flavored Lambics…. The palate was oily and placidly sticky, yet the bottom of the bottle bet a bit chalky and silty... but it was still astoundingly luscious!
A GREAT BEER!

Bockyhorsey (2628) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - OCT 11, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 12, 2005 Sitting at a round table of family and friends busted out this one. Big raspberry aroma with fermantation and wooden barrel as well. As the farmer at the table and the fermented aroma did smell like silage but that’s not all bad if your from Wisconsin. Body looked like a bloody mary and had a decent head and lacing. The bloody looked turned off the girls at the table but a coulple dug in. Flavor was tart and acidic at first and I thougt this was a 99% beer? Well by finish the berry flavor was dominate and dry finish like these beers have. Lot of other opinions on this one from the others but I’m not writing a book so I’ll stop now.

aobecksy (700) - Middle of no where, Ohio, USA - OCT 10, 2005
Here we go again, looked great ruby red with light head, but tasted like syrup and not beer. Rasberry tartbeer ?? Why?? adn then the finish--burning,maybe skunked???

pineypower (3345) - Ocean County, New Jersey, USA - OCT 8, 2005
FInally trying this one, thanks to Grainbelt...I crack open the cap to get a nice burst of raspberry aroma. On the pour I’d swear it smelled like a fresh baked pie. It was a medium cloudy red color with a small head. Poured in a flute, but these suck to drink out of. Great beer though, I see what the hype is truly about

OhioDad (2492) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - OCT 4, 2005
750 ml bottle obtained in a trade with beeryum - Thanks Dave!! - Pours deep maroon color with a fair purplish tan head that laces pretty well. Aroma of beautiful ripe raspberries.. I like raspberries so i could sniff this one all night. Flavor is interesting... Tart raspberries seem to reach out first and attack your tastebuds but it actually blends back to an almost doughlike bread quality that almost becomes sweet before that tart aftertaste comes in and makes you want another sip. The palate is medium bodied. Very smooth and the fruit is blended nicely with the malt. Slightly leans towards the acidic side.. I’m guessing because of the berries. The tart flavor makes it tough to drink all 750ml but I’m certainly not going to dump out something this tasty...

fly (1486) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - OCT 4, 2005
Appreciate this far more than the cherry. Sweet and tart with LOADS of fruit. So glad to find the tartness rather than simply the sweet. Much prefer more sour and acidic beers like La Folie, but think that were I to find one that was a blend of the two I might achieve nirvana.

TheEnemy (564) - Chicago, USA - OCT 2, 2005
750ml bottle.
Not a visually attractive beer. Lots of sediment makes this relatively light-colored beer completely opaque; looks like red Kool-Aid made with mud water. Lots of natural carbonation forms a dark pink, tightly packed, very persistent head. Aroma is predominatly sour tart berries and little else. The label isn’t joking about the "tart" bit -- this stuff is unrepentently so. But not unpleasantly so; thankfully, there’s enough sweetness to keep it from being overbearing. So many fruit beers end up with a contrived "beer with fruit thrown in" character. New Glarus Raspberry suffers no such deficiency. The fruit aspect is extremely well-integrated like this was always meant to be a fruit beer from beginning to end. The relatively low 3.9 rating I gave is in part because of a low "appearance" rating and does not do justice to how truly well-crafted and enjoyable this beer is.

1FastSTi (3361) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 25, 2005
I finally broke down and opened this and drank it myself. Well, it pours to what looks like some earthy red shade of molten women’s lipstick. I’m not too keen on the appearance... Anyway, the aroma is the most aromatic fresh raspberry and wheat you can imagine. I also managed to drink the entire 750 by myself, so it’s not cloying by any means. The flavor is tart fresh red raspberries, light lemon zest, wheat bread. Kinda smoothie in flavor. Definitely not extract. The palate is tart but not exceedingly so. I can still taste it lingering, even after eating a McDonald’s DBL cheeseburger more than 30 minutes after sampling the beer. This is VERY well made. Way to go NG!

pkbites (961) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 25, 2005
One of the best smelling beers ever. Like overripe raspberries in syrup. Pours a magnificent thick red colored jam of a brew. But that’s where the fun ends! I am ABSOLUTELY certain that I got a bad bottle of this. Probably was sitting on the shelf too long. It tasted like a mouth full of aluminum foil, and burned my throat like hell. It tasted truely awful. I can’t imagine it’s supposed to taste this horrible, and reiterate that I’m sure it was an old bottle. But for $7 a bottle the brewer should take precautions that their product doesn’t sit on store shelves too long. Until I get to try a fresh bottle (are you reading this New Glarus Brewing Company??) my rating stands: Looks and smells great! Tastes horrible!!!