overall
RATINGS: 1274   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.06/5   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale. Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth-watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

OhioDad (2492) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - OCT 4, 2005
750 ml bottle obtained in a trade with beeryum - Thanks Dave!! - Pours deep maroon color with a fair purplish tan head that laces pretty well. Aroma of beautiful ripe raspberries.. I like raspberries so i could sniff this one all night. Flavor is interesting... Tart raspberries seem to reach out first and attack your tastebuds but it actually blends back to an almost doughlike bread quality that almost becomes sweet before that tart aftertaste comes in and makes you want another sip. The palate is medium bodied. Very smooth and the fruit is blended nicely with the malt. Slightly leans towards the acidic side.. I’m guessing because of the berries. The tart flavor makes it tough to drink all 750ml but I’m certainly not going to dump out something this tasty...

fly (1487) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - OCT 4, 2005
Appreciate this far more than the cherry. Sweet and tart with LOADS of fruit. So glad to find the tartness rather than simply the sweet. Much prefer more sour and acidic beers like La Folie, but think that were I to find one that was a blend of the two I might achieve nirvana.

TheEnemy (564) - Chicago, USA - OCT 2, 2005
750ml bottle.
Not a visually attractive beer. Lots of sediment makes this relatively light-colored beer completely opaque; looks like red Kool-Aid made with mud water. Lots of natural carbonation forms a dark pink, tightly packed, very persistent head. Aroma is predominatly sour tart berries and little else. The label isn’t joking about the "tart" bit -- this stuff is unrepentently so. But not unpleasantly so; thankfully, there’s enough sweetness to keep it from being overbearing. So many fruit beers end up with a contrived "beer with fruit thrown in" character. New Glarus Raspberry suffers no such deficiency. The fruit aspect is extremely well-integrated like this was always meant to be a fruit beer from beginning to end. The relatively low 3.9 rating I gave is in part because of a low "appearance" rating and does not do justice to how truly well-crafted and enjoyable this beer is.

1FastSTi (3360) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 25, 2005
I finally broke down and opened this and drank it myself. Well, it pours to what looks like some earthy red shade of molten women’s lipstick. I’m not too keen on the appearance... Anyway, the aroma is the most aromatic fresh raspberry and wheat you can imagine. I also managed to drink the entire 750 by myself, so it’s not cloying by any means. The flavor is tart fresh red raspberries, light lemon zest, wheat bread. Kinda smoothie in flavor. Definitely not extract. The palate is tart but not exceedingly so. I can still taste it lingering, even after eating a McDonald’s DBL cheeseburger more than 30 minutes after sampling the beer. This is VERY well made. Way to go NG!

pkbites (976) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 25, 2005
One of the best smelling beers ever. Like overripe raspberries in syrup. Pours a magnificent thick red colored jam of a brew. But that’s where the fun ends! I am ABSOLUTELY certain that I got a bad bottle of this. Probably was sitting on the shelf too long. It tasted like a mouth full of aluminum foil, and burned my throat like hell. It tasted truely awful. I can’t imagine it’s supposed to taste this horrible, and reiterate that I’m sure it was an old bottle. But for $7 a bottle the brewer should take precautions that their product doesn’t sit on store shelves too long. Until I get to try a fresh bottle (are you reading this New Glarus Brewing Company??) my rating stands: Looks and smells great! Tastes horrible!!!

BeanDip (117) - Florida, USA - SEP 18, 2005
Another round of thanks to beerhandy! What a treat. I prefrred this to the Belgian Red. Didn’t seems as sweet and had a nice bit of tart to it. Couldn’t drink very much of it but it was beautiful on looks and smelled wonderful.

zug4abby (288) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 13, 2005
WOW! I love this beer. it pours an incredibly deep and rich maroon color with a think and lasting pink tinged head. The aroma is so wonderful... like a fresh raspberry pie (or insert your favorite raspberry desert here). The flavor matches the aroma, except you get a nice hint of tartness in the flavor which only serves to add to the taste. it’s a lot to drink and there is no way i could have finished a bottle myself, but grab a friend and open one up... well worth it!

fatty (363) - Perkiomenville, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 2, 2005
Pours deep red with pink lingering head. Strong raspberry aroma. Strong raspberry flavored sweet-tart flavor. Solid aroma and flavor. Lasting raspberry finish.

TomDecapolis (4636) - Milton, Delaware, USA - SEP 1, 2005
Thanks to hopdog. Pours a ruby red raspberry with a small head. Aroma is all raspberry with some sourness. Full on tart raspberry flavor. This was a great raspberry based fruit beer, enjoyed this more than Lindemans.

shadey (2152) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - AUG 31, 2005
Very dark purple color. Dark cream head with creamy lacing. Huge sweet raspberry aroma. Massive raspberry flavor. Sticky mouthfeel. Amazingly delicious and decadent.