overall
RATINGS: 545   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
This is Dan’s Gold Medal winning "Unplugged Cherry Stout." This ale is aged in Oak barrels to promote the spontaneous fermentation. Eight Wisconsin malted barleys combined with Wisconsin Montmorency Cherries make for a complex and sublime taste experience that you may never find again.

frisbe60 (14) - Spring Green, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 19, 2006
From the bottle bought at the brewery. Appearance is dark with a slight red tint. Head was about 1/2 inch but fell quickly. I don’t taste anything similar to a stout, only cherries. I think it might be their belgian red with darker grains.

sersdf (1020) - chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 19, 2006
i wanted to love this, i really did. i think the beer itself doesn’t change so much as the mood of the drinker. so, i had a four pack, at varying times and temperatures over about a month. definitely a shit-ton of cherries in aroma and flavor. in the taste, it is, like the belgian red, too tart and cloying with time. at the same time, i still really enjoyed the beer every time i had it. quite sour, a good amount of bitterness as well. it is possible this beer is very good at what it wants to be, but if it is what it wants to be, then it isn’t the beer for me.

3fourths (9377) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JUN 18, 2006
Sample from a 12oz bottle softly poured into my glass, producing close to no head. The body is a dark red and brown color. Chocolate and cherries abound in the nose, with some sweet amaretto scents as well. Very sweet, with some strange oily, moderately-thick flavors of cherries and oak. Reminds me of an old ale. Some cinnamon in the nose noticed when it warms slightly. Palate is cola-like, my primary complaint over this beer. Otherwise it’s solid.

keoki182 (305) - West Bend, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 18, 2006
I had no idea what to expect from this intriguing beer when I ordered a bottle of it in a bar in West Bend, WI. Luckily, any trepidation on my part was soon obliterated by the delicious cherry scent in the first whiff. I asked for a pint glass to pour a sample for a friend. It poured a nice dark stout color ( I couldn’t tell much by the dim lighting in the bar). It looked nice and hearty, though. Now, the taste. Honestly, this would have been a good stout even without the cherry addition. But a large amount of Wisconsin cherries used in the brewing process make a very tasty brew. This wasn’t that saccharine artificial cherry flavor that you find in most candies and chewing gum. These cherries are that Door County quality of sour/sweet that I love. The stout allowed woody hints to emerge as it warmed. The only think I can complain about regarding New Glarus Unplugged Edition Cherry Stout is that I only enjoyed a 12 ounce bottle. I would prefer to drink this from the keg.

Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUN 18, 2006
Pour is clear dark brown with no head...smell is toasty with hints of cherry...lots of cocoa...taste is strongly tart with tons of cherry...no real roast flavors at all....just wood and cherry....good...

MullMan (1099) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - JUN 17, 2006
bottle, thanks to brewblackhole. body is blackish chestnut and garnet at the edges. there is a short, thick, foamy medium-tan head that goes quickly. aroma is sour cherries, young oak. flavor is also tart cherries, young oak, a little merlot, and mild bakers chocolate malt. tart and tingly mouthfeel. a little unsweetened coconut flakes in the finish, not much malt backbone. a little like a flemish sour. makes sense that this is categorized as a fruit beer though. done very well but I’m still waiting for a stellar cherry stout to be made. goes well with vanilla snaps.

demolayfire (18) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUN 16, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 2, 2006 Drank this at a recent tasting with Perkeo and chriso420 and it was easily my favorite with the Eisphyre coming in a close second. I must admit I’m a sucker for brett beers, and this is no exception. I did wonder what exactly qualified this as a stout considering the color and body, but no matter. Sour cherries, brett funk, oak, a slight stale quality that reminded me of an old paperback, and a noticeable medicinal taste. Confounding and wonderful at the same time!

Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - JUN 13, 2006
Bottle. Dusty cherry syrup nose with butter. Deep burgandy bosy with a lasting foamy head. Taste-buttery, maple, oaky, sour, smoky, light farmhouse, cherry. Has a kind of weird almost brett like funk to it that is noce, but it needs to have more presence if it is going to be in here at all. Good. Not excellent, but good.

MrRomero (1976) - Nolanville, USA - JUN 13, 2006
Bottle at 2006 Chromefest: poured brown with ruby red notes. Smallish head. Light chocolate aroma with slight cherries. Flavor is mostly cherries but very little chocolate except in the finish. A nice beer definitely but it needs to be kicked up a notch.

Nuffield (4252) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JUN 11, 2006
Ruby red notes in a clear brown liquid. The cherry choclate flavors are there, but so are the smells like walking into a grocery store when I was a kid. Vegetable, woody and musty, candle wax, coconut. Honey, fruit, smoke note. A bit thin, not particularly stout-like.