overall
RATINGS: 243   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 85   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
A few times a year we cut Dan loose to brew whatever he choose. Always handcrafted, the bottle you hold is brewed for the adventurous soul. This is a very limited edition and we make no promises to ever brew this style again. A provocative 85 IBUs reverberates cleanly through this Double IPA. True hop saturation from kettle boil to dry hop cellaring dominates this elegant and lustful sensory enchantment. You hold a deceptively seductive Original Gravity of 19.2 Plato, now 9% ABV following the always 100% natural bottle fermentation. Luscious English Maris Otter malt is the essential heart of this voluptuous double IPA. Surrender is inevitable so enjoy now.

Lupulucid (189) - - JUL 21, 2013
There is so much to like about New Glarus IIPA. It is a lush hop bomb with amazing balance. Pine is most prominent but complexity abounds. Hops are the focus with alcohol and malt adding depth.

fear025 (214) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - MAY 12, 2011
Aroma:There’s lots of grapefruit in the aroma, with an underlying sweetness. Secondarily there is some peach/apricot aroma too.

Appearance:Gold in color with a thick white head with big bubbles. The head doesn’t last very long.

Taste:The hop bitterness is what hits me first, and there’s a lot of it. After a few sips, I can start to discern the peach/apricot flavors, which come on slowly through the foretaste, peaking in the midtaste, and then slowly fade away. The hop bitterness also sticks around for quite a while on the aftertaste, masking all but a hint of the nuttyness I expect from the marris otter malt.

Palate:This beer has a medium thick body, with good (nearly excessive) carbonation. Strong hop astringency is present in this one. I was expecting more alcohol warmth, but if it’s there, it’s well hidden.

Overall:This IIPA is very well done, and quite pleasant, I really enjoy it. That said, I’m not sure that it’s all the extreme in flavor, and there’s not much to make it stand out in a crowd.

edwardbass (861) - Illinois, USA - JUL 13, 2011
UPDATED: AUG 2, 2013 From a buddy who got it from a buddy of his who frequents Wisconsin fairly often. I’m a big fan of citrusy hops, and the aroma told me I was in for a treat. I knew, being a New Glarus, that it would be unique amongst DIPAs. Great citrus hops flavor without the typical "punch in the mouth" you get from a DIPA. Dangerously drinkable. I only wish it was a regular New Glarus beer and that I lived in Wisconsin!

dumontn (530) - St. Joseph, Michigan, USA - JUL 19, 2011
Bottle pours hazy straw gold with little head and virtually no lacing. Aroma is grapefruit, peach, honey. Tastes is intense grapefruit peel balanced with honey, pine, and a hint of resin. Has a long dry grapefruit finish, incredibly balanced! Body is medium, creamy, average carbonation, and fast, super dry finish. Overall, one of the best new IIPAs I’ve had lately. Pungent yet balanced, dangerously smooth as well- none of the 9%abv is apparent!

PhillyCraft (8008) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 27, 2012
Bottle, part of the thumbprint series. Pours a slightly hazy bright yellow. Very tiny head and barely any lacing. Aromas are amazing: funky sour grapefruit, resin, juicy citrus hops. Taste is tangerine, sweet honey, sugar gumdrops, pine forest. Absolutely delicious double IPA and some of the best tasting and smelling hops I have encountered. Barely bitter for 85 ibus. Another knockout from New Glarus.

PhilDBrewer (61) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - JUL 21, 2012
Pours a golden yellow with thin, relatively quick dissappating head. Aroma is fantastic and prevalent - grapefruit, pine. Tastes of upfront citrus and pine with a subtle caramel and bready backbone. Medium bodied. Overall, this is a phenominal IIPA/DIPA and not at all boozy for 9% ABV - one of the best.

joshwoodward (575) - - AUG 21, 2012
Delicious. Hides its 9 percent easily. Complex hoppiness. Great balance. Not an every day beer, but a beautiful treat.

DoublEE (781) - South Euclid, Ohio, USA - SEP 5, 2012
Lovely IIPA from New Glarus, extremely pleasant. It might not be the most innovative or provocative IIPA, it might not be a hop monster, but it’s darn good.

SudsMcDuff (8523) - .....Manchester United.........., Texas, USA - MAR 27, 2013
12oz bottle, shared with me by Judes, provided by Madvike, thanks man! .. .
pours a deep gold .. . amazing foam .. . sap drenched hops, pine juice, oranges,
and sticky resin .. . wow, this is frankly amazing! .. . easily in my top 3 IIPA’s!!!

.. . . if you ask me that goddamn monkey is gonna eat that sandwich on the way down.

bucs572000 (237) - Minnesota, USA - APR 20, 2013
Aroma is a nice pungent resiny citrusy scent. Taste is grapefruit and citrus upfront, a little piney resiny taste in the back round. Actually very well balanced for a big hop bomb. Very solid double!! Glad I have 7 bottles left!!