overall
RATINGS: 461   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 278   ABV: 9.25%
Do not waste time attempting to box this brew into some esoteric guide to styles. This is Dan’s bold creation. His passion for unfiltered Weiss collides with Cascade Hops inventing our Imperial Hefe-Weizen. Dry hopping boldly rules over Wisconsin red wheat and our special strain of Bavarian yeast. At almost 20 O.P. this is the super mac daddy of Weiss beers. Decoction mashing was followed by excessive dry hopping to create a fierce onslaught of clove, cinnamon and citrus all in this living beer. Don’t bother waiting to enjoy - the time is now.

MartiniFiend (104) - Mount Horeb, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 17, 2008
pours a cloudy dark yellow-almost orange with a slight head. Has a nice yeast , hop and citrus aroma. Thick and very smooth on the palate. Starts out with a mild citrus taste followed by a nice yeasty flavor typical of good weizen beers. Ends nicely with a blend the hops and yeast flavor. Brings back memories of my weekends at the Essen House in Madision WI....ahh the good old days!

grimreeser (797) - Minnesota, USA - FEB 16, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 23, 2008 Pours a cloudy orange gold with a good sized off-white head. Big aroma of bananas, clove, spices, and citrus. Nice sweetness, a little more hop aroma is noticed as I take my first sip. Solid bitterness, but not too much. Sort of like an IPA/hefe mix. Excellent, grab some of this while the aroma is fresh if you can. Update - 3/23/08 - I put a couple in the basement to see how they’d change. I notice a lot more bubblegum in the aroma. The spices and clove are still there, but the banana aroma has decreased. The hops are still there, the whole aroma is a little weaker. The whole aroma profile seems to have changed. If I was rating this for the first time today, I don’t think I’d give it a 4.4 again, probably a 4 or 4.1. Still very good, but not the experience it was fresh. Doesn’t taste anything like a German Hefeweizen should if that is what anyone is expecting.

Ughsmash (7502) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 14, 2008
Bottled. Poured hazy, medium orange with a tall, well-retained cap of off-white head.. just what I wanted to see! The aroma picked up huge doses of cloves and deep banana upfront, backed by citrus and perfumey hoppage.. odd marriage of big green hops in a heavy wheat beer, but I really dug it. The flavor had heavy darker banana and pale malts at the base, with pine and citrusy hops and lots of clove around the edges.. felt strong at the end, but the alcohol was never overt.. this was just really good! Medium-plus bodied on the palate with delightful fluffy carbonation that rolled over the tongue.. spices play well with the yeast and big hoppage. Excellent experiment!

madcow75 (426) - Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 14, 2008
Bottle opened with a rush of carbonation. Pours cloudy orange with a fluffy and carbonated off white head. As I pour that familiar banana and clove aroma is very pronounced. I do detect a slight hop presence in the nose, a hint of pine. The taste is something all together new almost like weiss part and cascades are fighting with each other. Sometimes I taste the cloves and bananas and yeast and other times the hops. Both seem present in the finish. Bitter finish with some sweetness. Very unique and interesting brew. I found myself eagerly wanting to know what I would taste in the next sip.

JPDIPSO (6317) - Wauwatosa, USA - FEB 8, 2008
Cloudy golden colored liquid. Huge, lasting, off-white head. As close to whole cloves in a brew I have yet to encounter. Amazing scent of cloves, pine and citrus. Hints of wheat and malt along with some menthol, bubblegum and cinnamon. Over the top weiss aromas, they are all there and either at times overpowering or just hanging around waiting for the your nose to recover from the onslaught. Sweet pine sap start leads to grapefruit and pale malts. Finish and linger are quite sharp with lemon zest and a touch of peach pit along with some dry spice. The linger is dry and nearly to bitter for me, as my mouth starts to feel as if it is packed with dry herbs and hops. Love the aroma and everything up to the linger. so if I drink this quickly and nonstop it is nearly perfect. An original and quite amazing effort once again from Dan and New Glarus Brewing Co. As it warms the finish and linger do not seem as sharp or perhaps my mouth is numbing. Based on the O.P. this has to be near 7%, yet no alcohol is remotely noted. I think the description is right in that the time is now, yet I wonder if it will mellow like an aged Aventinus.