New Glarus Unplugged Smoked Rye Bock

overall

RATINGS: 160   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59/5   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
Rich imported malts are dominated by our Bamberg smoked malted barley as well as Wisconsin rye. Special Bavarian Weiss beer yeast was imported to ferment this beer in the bottle. This is a big, dark beer appropriate for lying down or drinking immediately.

GrainBeltGuzzler (249) - Goodhue, Minnesota, USA - OCT 10, 2005
This beer is abundant with misnomers. With a name like smoked rye bock, one would think that it was taste more smokey and drier. Not saying isn’t a good beer, I was just expecting something totally different. I detect a little smoke but no where near the level I was hoping for, I do like the spicy flavor of the yeast, it almost reminds me of pumpkin pie spices. nice foamy head that last forever and effervensense that lasts as long as the beer does. Long story short is this a good beer? Yes, Is it worth the price one pays for the unpluggeds? I personally don’t think so.

Ughsmash (7508) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 9, 2005
Bottle. Poured a hazy medium-golden with a short layer of whitish head. Decent amount of sediment suspended in there. Some nice lacing as this went down. Aroma initially made me think of a strong smoked hefeweizen. I got a big whiff of bananas, bubble gum, strong musty yeast, white pepper, wheat, and smoked ham. Flavor picked up some caramel, bananas, white pepper, and an underlying Belgian character in there. Medium-full bodied and slightly tacky on the palate. Finish was where the smoke characteristic really came through... long finish with bananas, cloves, and smoked pork. Left an after BBQ-like stickiness on the lips. Another excellent brew from N.G.

StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 6, 2005
First bottle conditioned beer I’ve seen from New Glarus. Clear, magnifying copper in color with icy bubbles on the top being fed by a fizzy body below. Love that aroma. Hickory, chicory, smoked salmon, caramel, grilled butternut squash and a touch of vanilla and pepper. Rich flavor of pumpernickel, caramel, buttery sourdough and peppercorn. Very impressive. Smoked accents are reminiscent of beef hide and leather. Equivocally pulls characteristics from the roggen, bock and smoked fundamentals clearly stated in its namesake, but no single quality of the tri-factor overpowers - all three form a symbiotic relationship. Fuller bodied and an attitude of modest eccentricity across the palate. Malt motions abound, finishing with rye and buttery, spicy toffee. This is Dan Carey at his best.

Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - OCT 5, 2005
Medium yellow body with a thin loose foamy head. Nose-hard candy and syrup. Taste-strong rye, slightl smokey plastic, wheat/rye. Very clean sharp mouthfeel. Enjoyable and different.

badgerben (5170) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - OCT 5, 2005
Copper color with no head. Wheaty aroma with what I think is smoke, but it reminds me a lot of wheat beers that are turning sour. Apples? Flavor is more wheat with a moderate amount of smoke, not so much it tastes like someone dumped in a gallon of liquid smoke. A little like smoked sausage. Sweet, yes slightly bitter finish which like hezron said, is very abrubt.

hezron (614) - Viroqua, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 4, 2005
Bottle. Aroma hits me with some wheaty, musty clove yeast that settles down into barbque sauce and smoked ham or is it bacon? Hazy orangish color iwth a thin white head. Sweet, smoked flavor with a lot of the same flavor as the aroma. Malty smoked ham with an abrubt finish. Slick feel to it, medium body. Reminds me of bacon pancakes with lots of sweet maple syrup.

DavidP (1748) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 3, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 28, 2006 GABF ’05. Hazy straw body. Cotton candy and lemon heads in the aroma. The flavor carries heavier, sweet malt, bock muskiness and some unifying rye. Overall a sweet, uninteresting beer. Will re-rate once I get my hands on a bottle. Rerate 7/28/2006. Smoked peach and clean caramel malt aroma. Overall sweet flavor - peach/pollen/brown sugar with soft wood smoke and light hopping balancing it out. The smoke and yeast lend sort of a Belgian yeast character in the finish. Interesting stuff!

JPDIPSO (6223) - Wauwatosa, USA - OCT 3, 2005
Lightly hazed golden liquid with a huge dense ecru head(3+). Mild sweet malt drift in the aroma as it slathers the mild smoked ham. A mild yeast component that has a light triple touch. Hints of a smoked triple, how could I not like this aroma. Thick slick feel, just as I would expect a good rye to be. A light lift of carbonation at the end to help lighten the feel. Very light in the smoke area, but a hint to help the complexity. I’m sure this will be too sweet for some, but I find it thick and rich. Mild malt, honey and clove seem to mix in the flavors. This should dry out over time. A very interesting mix of a rye, weissbock, rauch, and triple that works in my book.

MIBRomeo (2570) - Wisconsin, USA - OCT 3, 2005
light yellow giant small bubbled white head. Smells of lemon grass wheat, and honey. a belgianish yeast as well. I didnt’ get much smoke if any. Had a nice creamy mouth feel. Lots of spices, nutmeg, corriander, lemon peel, candied sugar, and honey in the flavor. Nothing like a bock but a decent beer anyway.

twindadplus2 (714) - Wisconsin, USA - OCT 1, 2005
The first beer that I’ve added, I’ll treasure this moment forever. Do I get a plaque or something? Anyway... 12 oz. bottle (a new pleasure from Discount Liquor!) Slightly cloudy, medium orange brown color with a decent off-white head. Aroma is sweet, smoky malt and rye. Flavor is a big hit of smoke and malt up front with a sweet, slightly bitter finish. Medium to full bodied with a thick, oily mouthfeel and lively carbonation. Very different and very satisfying. First smoked beer that I’ve had (all right, this is the first time I’d heard of this style) but I like it!