overall
RATINGS: 1535   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13/5   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Originally 5.1% - abv reduced to 4% sometime between 2009 and 2011.
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

brentfeesh (1208) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - JUN 20, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 5, 2005 Cherry red-brick color. Clear. The aroma was tart and syrupy sweet with bright fruit. Other than a few unrated tastes later in the evening, this is as far as I got. My wife took the notes on this one (as I was occupied with tommee). I will say that (as I recall) this was less powerful fruit (only relative to raspberry tart) and more tart. This is not to say it was less flavorful. I thought the flavor of this one was also excellent. My wife noted that cherry was the dominate fruit flavor in this one (what a surprise).

Had this again the other evening and did not take notes (again). However, I am going to bump my aroma rating up one point. Smell great!

LilKem (1213) - Marietta, Ohio, USA - JUN 19, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 26, 2005 my notes say jizzworthy, so this must be worthy of my 300th rating. this was pretty saweet! like drinking a bottle of cherry pie filling. i cant comment on the aroma of this or much after it because it foamed more than expeted and wet up my nose. thanks facto for bringin this. it was absolutely amazing. nothing boring about this whatsoever

BeanDip (117) - Florida, USA - JUN 12, 2005
Holy cow, this is dessert not beer. Like drinking a slice of cherry pie. The spice is really nice and starts to emerge after that first slam of cherry and sweet, but is just overwhelmed. Touch of cola. Hint of malt, but again overpowered by sweet cherries. Nice carbonation, beautiful color. Finish dries out a tad and some sour finally gets a chance to show itself. Very enjoyable but way too sweet for my tastes these days. Reminds me a bit of Quelque Chose but not as complex. Afraid the sweetness just makes this one not very drinkable for me. Thanks to Walt for finally sending this long awaited brew my way.

jewedekind (450) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 11, 2005
A flora aroma with (of course) cherries much like cherry jam, color is not as pretty a the framboise, more red-orange, a bit hazy, with minimal head, a moderate amount of body, wet on the tongue, but thins to a crisp dryness. Taste is much like cherry juice, but lacking the sweetness. An inviting sourness thin feel, lively, long finish with oak, sweet malt with some yeasty bread. Excellent.

Gmku (303) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - JUN 9, 2005
I wish I knew what to make of this. Cherries, obviously. Cherries, cherries, cherries, cherries, and more cherries. And it’s beer, too. Sucré en bouche, sans être abusif, laissant place à une faible présence tartrique. Une impression de sirop worth the high regard that it receives. earthy notes. super complex starts out with sweet bubbly cherries dentelle. Saveur: Superbe goût de cerises très bien balancé. (Pas énormément sucré). Durée moyenne de l’arrière goût. Palette: Corps moyen avec une texture sirupeuse. Arrière goût de cerises mais qui laisse un sensation Perfect Fruit Beer. But would I want to drink this more than once in a while probably not.

rederic (3337) - montréal, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 8, 2005
Deep reddish-amber hue, with red-pinkish colored head, cherries, cherries!, hint of chocolate like the famous black forest cake, roasted malt aroma follows through on a medium-bodied cherryish palate, with sweet fresh juicy cherry flavor, with a sweet tart acidity, hint of chocolate, caramelized malt and a almondy note on the finish. An exceptional beer wow!!!!!!!!

OlivierMTL (709) - Quebec, CANADA - JUN 6, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 28, 2005 Ambrée tirant vers le rouge, faible mousse beige. Sirop de cerises au marasquin et pointes de chocolat s’unissent et rendent hommage au bon vieux cherry blossom. Sucré en bouche, sans être abusif, laissant place à une faible présence tartrique. Une impression de sirop contre la toux grandit au fil des gorgé, devenant quelques peu médicinales. Texture sirupeuse, corps d’épaisseur moyenne. Définitivement le parfait compagnon d’un déssert sucré.

mds (2250) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 6, 2005
bottle. copper-mahogany colour, small off-white head. This is an incredible fruit beer, I’ve never had anything like it. tart lactic cherry aroma, spritzy fruitness to die for. smells like those maraschino cherries found in a shirley temple. This beer is definitely worth the high regard that it receives. earthy notes. super complex starts out with sweet bubbly cherries counteracted by a light tartness and finishes with a sticky residue. this is certainly a craft brew.

beerbuzzmontreal (3487) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 6, 2005
Sampled at le Mondial de la bière 2005. Pours a murky red color with a thin pinkish head. Very appealing aroma of cherries with lingering acidity and sweetness. Amazing flavor of cherries with very well balanced acidity and sweetness, I think that this balance is the major strenght of the beer. The body is medium with an oily and slightly syrupy texture, the carbonation level is moderate. I’m happy to finally taste this beer and it’s definitely not a let down !

GonZoBeeR (3061) - ste-catherine, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 5, 2005
Aroma:cherry all the way... Appearance:Hazy redish,light head.... Flavor:Cherry. The best cherry beer i have drink....