overall
RATINGS: 1534   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13/5   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Originally 5.1% - abv reduced to 4% sometime between 2009 and 2011.
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

MilkmanDan (1943) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - JAN 9, 2005
Yet another fine beer given to me by the extraordinarily charitable Jeffc666. Hazy bright red with hints of orange. Head light tan with a faint hint of pink. nose very fresh and full of cherry, some faint earthiness and cocoa for a bit of depth. Flavor bursts with cherry goodness both tart and sweet, wonderfully fruity and tasty, tart and acidic. Bit toasty and nutty, like of like a pie crust. It’s just good.

ClarkVV (6700) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 31, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 19, 2005 2004 bottle thanks to Footbalm and Flemdawg. Tried side-by-side with a 2003 Cantillon Kriek. Needless to say, this one didnt quite come out on top, but for what it was, I was very pleased. Especially after drinking the vastly unbalanced and cloying Raspberry tart. Wonderful pour, murky, muddled dark red and burgundy with browns and tans swriling about. Cloudy, unfiltered and bottle conditioned. Aroma of tart, fresh cherries, moderate sweetness with some wheat and a light yeast influence. Flavor opens up with a burst of ripe cherries followed quickly by a touch of lightly tart yeast. Hops add a touch of balance, and while the cherries do not quite overwhelm with sweetness, there is no want of sugar, fruit and sweet malt here. What I could use more of, is the wonderful tart lambic flavor hiding in the background. On the finish, some hops are evident, earthy, lightly sharp, rusty and old, with a good dose of wheat and yeast, but it is not quite enough to stop the cherries. I like what New Glarus is doing; these beers are fresh and wonderfully crafted, but they need to tone down the fruit, at least in my opinion. Only traces of sourness or oak can be felt, while there is a touch of oily roast on the very end, the cherry tartness and meaty pulpiness of it really overshadows everything. A good beer and one that would age well. I do need to try some extensively aged samples of this (and the raspberry) before passing a final judgement, but for now it is too sweet and only adds yeast tartness/sourness as an afterthought.

redmosquito (172) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - DEC 28, 2004
Again I must thank Clark for bringing this in. This beer pours more of an auburn in color tan a red (which you’d expect from a beer with cherries on the label) and an whitish head. The aroma is all cherry "fruit roll up" as one taster put it, and a slight tartness. The flavor is very sweet, little to no malt flavor, and then some tartness. This has some body to it but there is a little harshness in the finish. Overall for a Belgian style it is extremely drinkable, if you like sweet beers.

goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - DEC 26, 2004
Poured a murky brown with a reddish tint and a tinted pink head. Aroma is all cherry. Like others have said fresh cherry pie. Flavor of cheery, sweet, tart, acidic. Light bodied.

ChazyRPh (583) - Chazy, New York, USA - DEC 25, 2004
bottle...hazy reddish pour with a generous pink tinted head. I am not a great fan of cherry, HOWEVER, I love Unibroue’s Quelque Chose and this is unbelieveable. Cherry pie filling aroma, nice sweetness and some sour aroma. Sweet to start, quickly rushing to tartness which lasts until the very end. In the end, it morphs back into a wonderfully sweet lingering aftertaste. This is truely a masterpiece, and I feel very priveledged to have sampled New Glarus Apple and then this, soon to follow....Unibroue Quelque Chose. What a vertical tasting!!

DYCSoccer17 (3695) - Woodland, California, USA - DEC 25, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 24, 2015 Wow, this aroma smells JUST LIKE my mom’s cherry pie. I will have to warn you that I LOVE cherries and there are few things I’d much rather have than my mom’s cherry pie. Sweet and tart cherries in the nose. Hazy amber color with red tints and a pink head. The start is very sweet cherries turning mildly sour. Gets a little more sour in the finish. Has some sweet malt tones to end. This has the perfect balance of the cherry sweetness and the cherry sourness. I wish I lived in Wisconsin! Don’t make me choose between this and Quelque Chose! (10/4/9/4/18) ~~~~~~~RE-RATE~~~~~~~~750ml brought back from Wisconsin. The aroma on this is of semi-sweet and semi-tart fruity cherries. More sweet than tart. Fruit roll-up is definitely present. Mom’s pie is no longer there. Transparent ruby-amber colored body. Medium, somewhat quickly dissipating taupe head. Starts with a sweet, syrupy, thick cherry flavor. Light tartness in the middle with a little spritzy carbonation thereafter. Finishes with more sugary sweetness. A bit sweet, and rather one-dimensional.

MIBRomeo (2570) - Wisconsin, USA - DEC 24, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 15, 2007 pours a nice deep red w/ a nice head. Scent was of bittersweet cherries. The palate was a little thin but lightly creamy. The flavor was that of cherries yet not overly sweet as I had expected.. more a nice mix of tart and sweet to give it a unique flavor. the carbonation in each sip gives an intersting ofset to its flavor as well. I have 2 more bottles of this and I may update again when I try again, but overall I liked this beer.

MiP (15667) - Sønderborg, DENMARK - DEC 17, 2004
Bottle. Dark red/brown colour. Aroma of cherries/cherry sauce. Quite sweet, slightly acidic. Acidity burns at the back of my throat.

IMtheOptimator (1169) - Brookfield, Connecticut, USA - DEC 16, 2004
Thanks to Mr. Facto for this beer!

Pours a beautiful ruby red with a tall pink head that left a lacing on the glass. Smells of tart cherries... subtle, very refreshing. Taste... oh... my... dear... lord... this beer is amazing. Delicious cherry flavor, just a little sweet to attract you and tart enough to be crisp and unbelievably refreshing. The tartness stays with you in the finish. Shared this with three friends and we all were in agreement... this beer is delicious. Drinkability? I could drink this for breakfast, for lunch, for dinner, as a late night snack... I could drink this beer anytime. Damn it! The champagne bottle emptied way too fast! This beer makes me want to take a day trip to Wisconsin, just to pick up about 50 of these. Matt, if I ever meet you in person, I’m holding you ransom for a case of this beer.

alchoholica (1) - Wisconsin, USA - DEC 13, 2004 does not count
WOW! Was the first words I spoke as I poured this beautiful beer into my tall glass. A nice colour and body, the smell reminds me of home-made Cherry pie. And the flavour is just to die for. I’ve always been a fan of Sam Adams Cherry beer, but no more. New Glarus have hands down the best I’ve ever had!