overall
RATINGS: 1498   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13/5   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Originally 5.1% - abv reduced to 4% sometime between 2009 and 2011.
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

ChazyRPh (583) - Chazy, New York, USA - DEC 25, 2004
bottle...hazy reddish pour with a generous pink tinted head. I am not a great fan of cherry, HOWEVER, I love Unibroue’s Quelque Chose and this is unbelieveable. Cherry pie filling aroma, nice sweetness and some sour aroma. Sweet to start, quickly rushing to tartness which lasts until the very end. In the end, it morphs back into a wonderfully sweet lingering aftertaste. This is truely a masterpiece, and I feel very priveledged to have sampled New Glarus Apple and then this, soon to follow....Unibroue Quelque Chose. What a vertical tasting!!

DYCSoccer17 (3708) - Woodland, California, USA - DEC 25, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 24, 2015 Wow, this aroma smells JUST LIKE my mom’s cherry pie. I will have to warn you that I LOVE cherries and there are few things I’d much rather have than my mom’s cherry pie. Sweet and tart cherries in the nose. Hazy amber color with red tints and a pink head. The start is very sweet cherries turning mildly sour. Gets a little more sour in the finish. Has some sweet malt tones to end. This has the perfect balance of the cherry sweetness and the cherry sourness. I wish I lived in Wisconsin! Don’t make me choose between this and Quelque Chose! (10/4/9/4/18) ~~~~~~~RE-RATE~~~~~~~~750ml brought back from Wisconsin. The aroma on this is of semi-sweet and semi-tart fruity cherries. More sweet than tart. Fruit roll-up is definitely present. Mom’s pie is no longer there. Transparent ruby-amber colored body. Medium, somewhat quickly dissipating taupe head. Starts with a sweet, syrupy, thick cherry flavor. Light tartness in the middle with a little spritzy carbonation thereafter. Finishes with more sugary sweetness. A bit sweet, and rather one-dimensional.

MIBRomeo (2579) - Wisconsin, USA - DEC 24, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 15, 2007 pours a nice deep red w/ a nice head. Scent was of bittersweet cherries. The palate was a little thin but lightly creamy. The flavor was that of cherries yet not overly sweet as I had expected.. more a nice mix of tart and sweet to give it a unique flavor. the carbonation in each sip gives an intersting ofset to its flavor as well. I have 2 more bottles of this and I may update again when I try again, but overall I liked this beer.

MiP (15973) - Sønderborg, DENMARK - DEC 17, 2004
Bottle. Dark red/brown colour. Aroma of cherries/cherry sauce. Quite sweet, slightly acidic. Acidity burns at the back of my throat.

IMtheOptimator (1170) - Brookfield, Connecticut, USA - DEC 16, 2004
Thanks to Mr. Facto for this beer!

Pours a beautiful ruby red with a tall pink head that left a lacing on the glass. Smells of tart cherries... subtle, very refreshing. Taste... oh... my... dear... lord... this beer is amazing. Delicious cherry flavor, just a little sweet to attract you and tart enough to be crisp and unbelievably refreshing. The tartness stays with you in the finish. Shared this with three friends and we all were in agreement... this beer is delicious. Drinkability? I could drink this for breakfast, for lunch, for dinner, as a late night snack... I could drink this beer anytime. Damn it! The champagne bottle emptied way too fast! This beer makes me want to take a day trip to Wisconsin, just to pick up about 50 of these. Matt, if I ever meet you in person, I’m holding you ransom for a case of this beer.

alchoholica (1) - Wisconsin, USA - DEC 13, 2004 does not count
WOW! Was the first words I spoke as I poured this beautiful beer into my tall glass. A nice colour and body, the smell reminds me of home-made Cherry pie. And the flavour is just to die for. I’ve always been a fan of Sam Adams Cherry beer, but no more. New Glarus have hands down the best I’ve ever had!

Enniskillen (2061) - Bakersfield, California, USA - DEC 11, 2004
Aroma is marachino cherries, cherry pie filling and crust. This aroma is a desert beer if I’ve ever smelled on. Body is ruby/brown with a nice 1/4 inch cream head. Taste is very nice, cherry pie, nice and tart with some caramel light in the background. Thanks Santa!

HoppyBunny (88) - Temptation, Michigan, USA - DEC 8, 2004
Well what can I say, dessert in a bottle and liquid form. I drank this with a friend this weekend, and I did not want to share it. Strong cherry taste, pretty color of soft pink-red. If I did not know better I would never beleive it was a beer. Way to go!!

TheBeerGod (6261) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - DEC 5, 2004
Bottle. Courtesy of joeybgood. Pours a hazed magenta. Medium pink head. Nose is strong cherry and spice. Not unlike Quelque Chose. Taste is nice cherry (black cherry and maraschino cherry mix), light spice and some tartness. Strong fruit notes overall. Body is slightly acidic while being fairly dry and tart. Finishes with more strong cherry notes and light spice. Great beer!

drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - DEC 1, 2004
Well, I’m a bit surprised with this but looking at the top beers in this category (fruit beer) the number 2 and 3 beers are both New Glarus, the #1 being this bad boy. Perhaps this shouldn’t be such a surprise after tasting 2 out of the 3, both being phenomenal. As with the raspberry tart, one of the big defining characteristics of this beer is the absolute authenticity of the fruit. The description says over a pound of cherries is in each bottle, and despite earlier skepticism, I believe it now. The beer is intensely fogged, no doubt from all the organic residue. Full aroma of cherry followed with equally intense flavor; Flemish flair - medium tartness keeps the palate interesting but doesn’t really interfere with the flavor (I let this one sit for a year so perhaps it mellowed out a bit though). Something that may be startling out of context is the slight chalkiness in the palate - just a litle residue from the tartness that gives it a slightly chewy aspect, nice and full. A big thanks to my old roomates who managed to bring this one home from LaCrosse, great beer.