overall
RATINGS: 1498   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13/5   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Originally 5.1% - abv reduced to 4% sometime between 2009 and 2011.
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - JUN 20, 2004
Bottle from Kevin42. WOW! I am not usually fond of fruit beers, but this is the kind of beer that can change my mind about the style. The pour is a dark amber, it looks like strong iced tea. There is a head that quickly fades into a ring around the flute. The nose is of cherry pie without the buttery crust smell. The taste is strong of (of course) cherry, with secondary notes of carbonation and a little malt. It took me awhile to put my finger on it, but I can describe the cherry taste and smell perfectly: it smells/tastes like canned cherry pie filling, or fried cherry pie (if you are from the south you know what I mean). The finish is a little bitter, almost salty. This is an overall excellent beer. I would not make it my everyday beer, but it is an EXCELLENT beer off the beaten path.

OKBeer (1175) - Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA - JUN 14, 2004
2004 Mondial de la Biere Ratebeer Gathering at Tiggmtl’s. Deep red colour with a thin frothy white head. Deep sweet and sour cherry pie aroma, crust included! Cherry, cherry, and more cherry, both sweet and sour, slight yeasty and pie crust flavours. Decadent rich and almost creamy mouthfeel. Very nice. Top beer of my Montreal trip. Many thanks to CaptainCougar for this treat!

Radek Kliber (7483) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - JUN 13, 2004
Aroma of top quality almond cake, soft clean fresh sweet cherry aroma. If you had true Black Forrest cake you know what I am talking about. Lil touch of vanilla to balance thing out. Superb fruity aroma .Cherry like ruby appearance, bright white head. Medium sweet, true fruity feel .Very like my Grandpas cherries I loved to eat. Very rich, one of best if not the best fruit beer there is.

tiggmtl (4543) - East York, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 13, 2004
Aroma of strong cherries and cinammon blended with sugar with notes of oak and vanilla. Reddish brown and cloudy with swirling, fine bubbled off-white head. Tartness is there but you really won’t notice it hiding behind the big sweet cherries. This could be one of the best non-lambic fruit beers ever. Mouthfeel is so smooth and creamy. Medium-full body. Extremely enjoyable dessert confection. Bottle (enjoyed at Mondial RB Gathering 2004 with CapFlu, CaptainCougar, jercraigs, MartinT, OKBeer, Radek and Rastacouere).

Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - JUN 11, 2004
There is a thickness to this fruit beer that I did not expect. In the glass it was a dark and cloudy red and the mouthfeel was silky smooth with bubbles providing some punctuation. This is quite apart from the light feel and look of other fruit beers I’ve had. There is a super-real cherry taste that is much more complicated than the "cherry soda" comments would suggest and quite different than eating a "fresh cherry." The cherry is embedded in a mature maltiness and yeastiness. The hops cut the sweetness at just the right place. There is a lingering cherry complexity in the nose that is very satisfying. Too many sips in a row made the experience too intense. When I ate and paused between sips I could appreciate the beauty of this beer as it was meant to be enjoyed: in moderation.

CapFlu (5132) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - JUN 9, 2004
(Bottle) Post Mondial Gathering 2004 at TiggMTL. Thin, white head with a ruby-red body. Nose of sour-cherries and marzipan. Tart cherry flavour with a sweet, fruit-syrup and 7-Up finish. Very good. Many thanks to Captain Cougar for this offering...

fomentateur (110) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 7, 2004
Deep red in color yet still brite. Froathy red head, just the way I like em. The aroma is like a fresh cherry pie. I can almost smell the crust. The flavor seems to have a cinnamon like character that takes away from the sweetness of the cherries and adds to the pleasure of the malt. Sour tart and dry in the finish. A true delite.

JagerQueen (123) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - JUN 2, 2004
Pours an amber red, beautifully clear in color. Almost no head. Aroma is similar to the perfect cherry pie, whipped cream, crispy crust and all. Slightly musky, but incredibly sweet. Taste blossoms in your mouth like the sweetest of desserts, tart and perfect. I could drink this for days. Thanks skaughty!

DomiNate (123) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JUN 2, 2004
Ruby red in color. First instinct was definately cherries. Reminds me of moms homeade cherry pie. Taste was very tart. Tastes like it smells...Cherries! Very good though. Makes your mouth dry and then really watery.

BückDich (5477) - McCall, Idaho, USA - JUN 2, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 7, 2005 Light crimson ruby red color, very pretty. The head has a nice layer of head with lacing, very pretty. The aroma is bright and sweet with all the notes of a fresh cherry pie including making to the finished product. The light funky tartness comes through in the nose as well. The flavor is just so damn f’in good, it’s a blend of sweet, tart, fresh, fruit, sour all at the same time in perfect balance. Low vinous notes with more focus on sweetness and the massive cherry body. God damn this is delicious, I can’t get enough! Finishes very tart, almost like shock tarts, makes me sweat just like those do.<P>ReRate @ Oakes’ ’05 Xmas Party: Fucking tasty.