overall
RATINGS: 1501   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13/5   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Originally 5.1% - abv reduced to 4% sometime between 2009 and 2011.
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

bitter's rating

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
bitter (1136) - Henderson, Nevada, USA - OCT 18, 2007
pink cranberry color with a fizzy jet away head. nose of sweet cherries and syrup. fizzy mouth feel c a dominance of cherry fruit. not tart like i expected but quite sweet. almost like a cherry soda. is there alcohol in this stuff?

Sarlacc83 (2379) - Portland, Oregon, USA - DEC 12, 2017
Bottle

A: Dark red bordering on brown. Thin white head. Light lacing.

M: Big cherry syrup soaked cherries. Some lemon rind and grapefruit rind. Touch of cough syrup. Lots and lots of sugars. Bit of sangria and fruit leather. Indian bark.

T: So very very sweet. There are plenty of cherries throughout but they get stuck in the cloy. Bit of tartness.

M: Light body, no alcohol, spritzy carbonation.

O: I have fond memories of this one, but it's a heavy syrupy beer to me now. And there is a bit of Robutussin to boot.

rosskyle (772) - Denver, Colorado, USA - DEC 2, 2017
Big bottle. Hazy red color with an off white head. Sweet strong cherry aroma. Strong cherry flavor. Nice flavor without the fake candy flavor with some beers. Medium with a cleaner finish than expected. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

rosenbergh (11868) - Tampere, FINLAND - DEC 1, 2017
750 ml bottle. HHOKXXI. (Festival Foods) La Crosse, WI. Enjoyed on Nov 25 2017.

Deep red color with a small pink head.
Cherry, apple, fruits and sweetness in the aroma.
Apple, cherry, strawberry and freshness in the flavor.
Really well brewed fruit beer. Super balanced.

superspak (6090) - Waterford, Michigan, USA - NOV 11, 2017
750 ml bottle into tulip glass, no bottle dating. Pours fairly crystal clear ruby red/copper color with a 2 finger dense and rocky off light khaki with amazing retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Thick soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation retaining the cap. Fantastic appearance. Aromas of huge sweet/tart red/black cherries, berries, pear, apple, fruit jam/skin, cherry pits, almond, and brown sugar; with light notes of vanilla, oak, funk, and yeast earthiness. Incredible aromas with amazing complexity and balance of cherries, fruity yeast, sweet malts, and light oak notes; with big strength. Taste of huge sweet/tart red/black cherries, berries, pear, apple, fruit jam/skin, cherry pits, almond, and brown sugar; with light notes of vanilla, oak, funk, and yeast earthiness. Light fruit tang/tartness and yeast/oak spiciness on the finish. Lingering notes of sweet/tart red/black cherries, berries, pear, apple, fruit jam/skin, cherry pits, almond, brown sugar, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a while. Amazing complexity, robustness, and balance of cherries, fruity yeast, sweet malts, and light oak flavors; with a nice malt/tartness balance, and zero cloying sweetness after the finish. Mildly increasing dryness from fruit tang/tartness. Medium carbonation and medium-plus body; with a very smooth, creamy/silky/velvety, and lightly slick/syrupy/acidic/tangy/tannic balanced mouthfeel that is fantastic. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 4%. Overall this is an insane fruit beer! All around amazing complexity, robustness, and balance of cherries, fruity yeast, sweet malts, and light oak flavors; very smooth and refreshing to drink, with the mellowly acidic/tangy/drying finish. The definition of cherry jam as a beer. You get some backing yeast complexity, but this is just all cherries with some sweet malt balance. I couldn't possibly taste any more ripe authentic cherry flavor, even if I bought them from the store. An absolutely mind blowing offering, and the best fruit beer I have ever had.

balloonbuffoon (653) - - NOV 10, 2017
25.4floz (750ml) bottle, I don't recall a freshness date, bought late summer 2016 for around $11, poured into a straight sides glass where it appears a dark ruby red color with a pinkish head. This beer is basically what a cherry cider might be like, from aroma to taste. Sweet, yet not sickly sweet. I've enjoyed this beer sporadically over the years, and it pleases every time.

Bill Becker (1910) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - OCT 31, 2017
From Dec 2007

I got this bottle in a great trade with joe1510. Thanks a bunch, Joe!!

This isn't my first sample of this brew. I bought a bottle of it and the Raspberry Tart years ago before I started reviewing and have had samples of both every time I've been to the GABF. Boy am I thrilled to have it again!

Pours from capped and mimimally waxed 750ml bottle a cloudy red with a nice solid, be it small, head of foam with some good lacing.

The smell is of cherrries, cherries, and...more cherries!~ A +lb of cherries in every bottle will do that for you. ;^)

The taste...is of wonderful, semi sweet and sweet cherry. In the background, I can just get some wheat, more pronounced when I swish the beer in my mouth, and a slight woody flavour. Boy, is this a joy to sip on and yeah, it's very low in the abv department but when you get a brew of this caliber, sipping is the *only* way to go. The mouthfeel is almost chewy, nah, I'm going to say that it *is* chewy and the carbonation is very lively.. just the right level for me to make my drinking experience stellar. There's also a small hop presence there to add just a touch of bitterness; not too much, mind you, as the cherry flavour is what Belgian Red is all about.

I just poured some more into my glass and I have a huge smile on my face. Wow. Is this ever a satisfying beer.

Bottom line: This is a world class brew that hits my palate on all cylinders. Like I said before I got this in a trade and it certainly won't be the last time I trade for it. Thank again, Joe!!

Scipio (1236) - Palatine, Illinois, USA - OCT 13, 2017
Pours a cloudy dark red or purple with a medium, fizzy beige head that quickly fades. The aroma is overwhelmingly cherry with some minor oak. Very appealing. The taste is just a touch sweet and is slightly tart. Some light floral elements and oak complement the extremely heavy cherry flavor. Hints of both spices and wheat are found as well. A sharp cherry aftertaste lingers with you for a moment. Light in body, and slick in texture that has just a bit of fizziness to it. Even though I wish that this one packed a little more of a punch, the fact remains that its absolutely delicious.

randy1969 (92) - Marengo, Illinois, USA - SEP 20, 2017
Pours a bright red with pink head. The aroma sweet cherry. The texture is creamy soft, with lively carbonation. Good sweet sour balance

edgallow (4560) - nashville, Tennessee, USA - SEP 6, 2017
750 ml bottle pours reddish with a off pink head. Aroma of cherries and oak. Taste is cherries, oak and some yeast.

kannon5 (7) - - JUL 22, 2017 does not count
Perfect combination of sweetness and tartness, major crowdpleaser. Mmmmmmmmmm ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone