overall
RATINGS: 1504   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13/5   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Originally 5.1% - abv reduced to 4% sometime between 2009 and 2011.
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

eve (240) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - JAN 20, 2006
Tasted this last year (generous Heemer) but never rated--but still I remember the cherry-red color, the tart explosive cherry aroma mixed with biscuit for a cherry-pie effect, and the lovely sour cherry taste. You would have to like cherries to like this--it’s all cherries, all the time--but the tartness and the malt rescue this from becoming cloying. This would be an excellent valentine’s day drink--wish I could get another bottle!

Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - JUN 11, 2004
There is a thickness to this fruit beer that I did not expect. In the glass it was a dark and cloudy red and the mouthfeel was silky smooth with bubbles providing some punctuation. This is quite apart from the light feel and look of other fruit beers I’ve had. There is a super-real cherry taste that is much more complicated than the "cherry soda" comments would suggest and quite different than eating a "fresh cherry." The cherry is embedded in a mature maltiness and yeastiness. The hops cut the sweetness at just the right place. There is a lingering cherry complexity in the nose that is very satisfying. Too many sips in a row made the experience too intense. When I ate and paused between sips I could appreciate the beauty of this beer as it was meant to be enjoyed: in moderation.

smooch (238) - Sylvania, Ohio, USA - JAN 16, 2010
I wouldn’t have known what a tart cherry nose was, but this has it. Pour with a big but lite pinkish head. No beer flavor...good or bad, not lambic either. Honestly it tastes like a sweet wine...not sure that means it should rate 100, but it is very drinkable. Leaves a little tingle on your tongue. This is just a cherry bomb as my main wine man, Gary Vaynerchuk would say. It is ephemere on steroids. Just a wow beer that is all fruit but without the overpowering sweetness of Leinie berry weiss.

sepia5 (237) - Connecticut, USA - JUL 31, 2011
Pours a translucent but vibrant (get this) cherry red. The nose on this beer is otherworldly. It reminds me of the sour cherries my grandparents grew on the farm I grew up on in rural Ohio, but the scent also has a Christmas-spice element to it (definitely cinnamon) that reminds me of potpourri. The flavor is also spectacular. Of course, the cherries this is brewed with dominate the flavor, with only a slight but refreshing sourness. The freshness of this beer is remarkable. It tastes like it was made of fresh, muddled cherries. The beer also has a great mouthfeel, which you don’t get from some fruit beers. On the whole, this is without a doubt the best fruit beer I’ve ever had and one of the best beers I’ve ever had period. I always thought the Founders Cerise was a solid offering (and it is), but this is in another ballpark.

beerheart (237) - Erie, Colorado, USA - SEP 3, 2007
Bottle purchased in Milwaukee. Broke this out for my 40th birthday. Cherries--it overwhelmingly smells of fresh cherries, in a tart cherry pie. Pours a deep red with no head. Very light carbonation, medium bodied. Beautiful tart cherry flavor. No added sweeteners. Very clean finish. After tasting, we added a scoop of French Vanilla ice cream for a marvelous treat. I couldn’t drink this all the time, but for special occasions, this is a truly great American take on the Belgian lambic style.

Quixote18 (236) - Johnson City, Tennessee, USA - FEB 27, 2006
"She’s my cherry pie, cool drink of water-such a sweet suprise! Taste so good, make’s a grown man cry...SWEET CHERRY PIE!" Warrant says it best- this beer reminds me in so many ways of a cherry pie. Not those crap frozen pies at the grocery store, or even a decent pie from the local bakery. I’m talking about a cherry pie made from sweet and sour cherries that were lovingly hand picked and baked into fresh dough that was made from scratch and then baked in a wood stove. I’m talking about the cherry pie that’s cooling on Aunt Bee’s window sill. I’m not saying that it’s my favorite style of beer, but what a refreshing change of pace! Thanks acertain.

o_Merlin_o (235) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 22, 2012
A near perfect beer. Wonderful cherry and apricot aroma, topped off with a creamy off-white head. Absolutely delightful acidic taste all over the tongue, especially on the sides. Pleasant aftertaste. I say ’near perfect’ because of its high carbonation. Expect lots of burps when drinking this awesome brew.

drainey (234) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 8, 2006
25 oz. bottle. Cloudy red body with a quickly dissipating white head. Aroma is pure cherries. Flavor is sweet on the first taste with cherries and finishes with sour cherries. All cherries all the time. Delicious, but is this beer? Its almost more cherry soda that beer.

dhlesq (233) - Thousand Oaks, California, USA - NOV 23, 2005
Very strong aroma of cherries, more sweet than sour, with some marzipan as well. Appears a cloudy red-brown with no head. Flavor is spicy cherry cinammon goodness; starting with a tangy sweetness, the middle dominated by fresh cherry flavor, and finishing with a cinammon zing and trailing sour cherries. Palate is thick and bubbly. Overall, this is just a wonderful beer, especially during the fall holidays, and it is even greater than the sum of its parts. My deepest thanks go to joeybgood for this fine brew.

thejoeshow (232) - Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA - JUN 6, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 30, 2008 WOW! If you have the fortune to be able to get your hand on this beer, GET IT! This is one of the best liquids I have ever drank. It pours a redish brown color with a slight hint of carbonation. It has the aroma of sweet fresh cherries. Wonderful. The flavor...you guessed it cherries. It literally tastes like you have fresh cherries in your mouth. outstanding! Overall, this is tops in my book! Worth seeking out if you haven’t had it!