overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1521   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13/5   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Originally 5.1% - abv reduced to 4% sometime between 2009 and 2011.
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely Wisconsin. So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
kchampagne (164) - Jacksonville, Florida, USA - DEC 7, 2016
Pours a dark ruby red. Aroma is dark cherries. Super fresh and sweet. Taste is incredible. Its like drinking cherry juice. A mix of sweet and sour. Not overly sugary and well balanced. This is incredible.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
rayl101 (163) - Brownstown, Michigan, USA - APR 25, 2011
Pours cloudy red in my snifter with virtually no head. Aroma is huge tart cherries. Body is light & crisp. I expected flavor to be much more sour than it was, but I absolutely loved the sweet/tart cherry flavor. Ive never had a beer with this much fruit character. Fantastic!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
rodolito (163) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 24, 2003
Score is high due to intense enjoyment. For me, this beer is simple but delicious. Poured a hazy strawberry red with a thick reddish-white head that subsided to a thin layer. Aroma of sour cherries and sweetness. Flavor dominated by sour cherries, sweetness, and followed by a fizzy tartness. The sourness, cherries, tartness, acidity, and lively carbonation are very well balanced. I didn't detect the malt or wheat, but as I view this as a tasty fruit beer, I rate it accordingly.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
cwsample (163) - Texas, USA - DEC 21, 2009
Bottle from Cavie. Immediately I am hit with an aroma of cherry cough syrup. The color is a nice dark red with a light pink head. The taste is not so heavy on the cough syrup, but still a bit bitter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
manny57 (162) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - AUG 28, 2010
Poured from a 750ml bottle, but unfortunately had to drink from a pint glass. Bottle courtesy of RJ and Janet - shared with BF. Pours dark red, with little carbonation. Subdued notes of cinnamon and malt, but cherry obviously overpowers. Tastes of real cherries, not the canned stuff. This truly is a fantastic beer, but one glass is enough. I could not drink one after another......... had to switch to dancing man and crackd wheat. Again, New Glarus fails to disappoint.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jamvin23 (162) - chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 15, 2009
Bottle. Reddish color with a nice head. Aroma: pure cherries Flavor: cherry tartness, sweet-sour balance.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
orville (160) - Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 28, 2006
The strange thing about this "beer" is that I dont like it, yet I rated it high. Its very complex in cherries and is quite good for a kriek lambic, but the problem is that its a kriek lambic. The only stlyes of beers that I hate are Lambics, fruit, and the dreaded scotch ale; too sweeeet. I recommend this beer, however, if you prefer sweet over bitter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
KAME (160) - California, USA - DEC 20, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 14, 2009 750mL bottle. This is a pretty awesome beverage, but probably the least beer-tasting beer that I have had that is actually this good. Pours a deep garnet red with a medium pinkish-white head. Aroma is very vinous, full of dark cherries, and very sweet. Flavor is sweet cherries with a slightly slick mouthfeel. This is a great beer, but Id like it to be a bit lighter bodied and more carbonated. An awesome brew that I wish I had regular access to. Delicious.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Lorenasa (159) - Florida, USA - MAR 28, 2012
Pours a dark mahogany with a small head. Immediate aroma reminded me of Cherry cough syrup. After a bit the tanginess disappeared and it smells more like grandmas cherry pie. Tastes very much like sour cherry pie flavor with a sweet finish.

Vballnbeer (158) - Gorham, Maine, USA - JUL 5, 2013
Like the raspberry, this cherry beer is a perfect representation of a sour cherry beer. Find it and savor every drop.