overall
RATINGS: 1498   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13/5   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Originally 5.1% - abv reduced to 4% sometime between 2009 and 2011.
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

dukefan (215) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JAN 3, 2003
Just a fruit explosion. I do not like and seldom drink fruit beers. But the quality of this beer just blows me away. My first taste was at GABF 1997, and this beer stood far above every beer at the fest. You would swear you were drinking straight sour cherry juice fermented as beer. A beautiful beer that will no longer be available in Chicago beginning February 2003. Grab it now while you can!

Driftwood6 (214) - USA - MAY 3, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 10, 2008 From bottle on trip to Wisconsin. Best fruit beer I’ve personally tried. Not complex-- just a well balanced cherry flavor. Not too sweet, cloying, or citrusy. Just smooth and simple cherry flavor. Highly recommended from a guy who doesn’t normally like fruit beers.

TPaliga (212) - Munster, Indiana, USA - SEP 9, 2006
Pours red/brown with very thin head. Aroma is malt and CHERRY! Flavor is the same. Sweet cherry flavor throughout. Finishes sweet and sticky.

hiddenvariable (211) - pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 25, 2007
bottle. pours a cloudy brownish red, with a medium rose head that disappears as quickly as it grew. great strong smell of cherries, with tiny notes of grapes and bready malts. flavor is obviously more cherries, which dominate everything, but not in a bad way. some good woody notes in there, and more hints of a bready malt. excellent tart finish with a great sourness and a full body. could be more carbonated, and it’s a bit sticky, but i like it anyway. i don’t think i like this as much as others, and it didn’t seem as complicated as i would like, but it definitely tastes amazing.

Bloekie (210) - BELGIUM - SEP 6, 2009
Very cherrylike, sour and sweet. Very very enjoyable! Some people at the tasting suggested that it was chemical, but I think you really taste the fresh fruits in this.

mjmcend (209) - USA - FEB 6, 2010
Traveled up to Milwaukee to purchase this beer (and others from NewGlarus). 750 ml bottle. Pours a dark reddish brown, with a red hued head. Out of this world aroma. One of cherries and spice. Flavor is full blown cherry but very fresh and real tasting. Incredibly drinkable and nicely carbonated. Every cherry lover must have this.

Beerapprentice (208) - Doylestown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 19, 2010
Adrian910ss shared this bottle on a rainy night while camping. I was miserable and then I tasted this beer. It pours a cloudy, deep brown colou with a reddish tint and a frothy cream coloured head. It smelled like hawaiian punch and I was hoping it wouldn’t taste like sugary juice. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised but I guess I shouldn’t have been. After all...it’s New Glarus!!! The Red has an aroma of maraschino cherries, some malt, a bit of oak, and not much else. It tasted like sweet, tart and slightly sour cherries and a smooth boozy taste. New Glarus does it again, but then again, I am partial to fruit beers.

NDmullet (208) - South Bend, Indiana, USA - OCT 11, 2002
I figured that I'd really like this stuff, since I love Door County cherries, I get some every summer. This stuff is the color of fresh cherry juice, amply carbonated, with a pinkish, champagne-y head. Pure, unadulterated cherry essence, both in smell and taste. There's a delicate cinnamon flavor behind all that fruit, mixed in with hints of graham cracker. The quality of the ingredients and the brewing skill here is evident. This is how all fruit beers should be done. I'd like like a little more of the base malt to poke through, cause the wave of cherry sweetness can get a little overwhelming, especially at the end of the bottle. This would be great with black forest chocolate cake.

truebluehes (207) - Tipton, Iowa, USA - MAY 31, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 27, 2012 Bottle. Full-bodied well balanced beer. Cherry (obvious) aroma. Very easy to drink. Great citric cherry sour flavor.

Kodos (205) - USA - MAR 9, 2002
WOW! This is excellent stuff! Big cherry/almond nose, nice head that diminishes quickly, flavor is serious sweet cherry, then the aftertaste hits with a chocolate/cherry bittersweetness. A little too much carbonation, but the best fruit beer ive had!