overall
RATINGS: 1531   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13/5   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Originally 5.1% - abv reduced to 4% sometime between 2009 and 2011.
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely Wisconsin. So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
airforce1 (61) - Atascosa, Texas, USA - JUN 2, 2008
This beer is somewhat of an enigma for me. First of all, the older it gets, the sweeter it gets. Not sure how thats possible....anyway, this beer is sweet as hell, which is a bit of a disappoitment given this beer smells and looks incredible. If it were a bit more sour, I would rate it a litlle higher, but its just too damn sweet =(

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Troobie99 (60) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUN 10, 2002
This is a unique experiment in North America, so far as I know. It is reputedly spontaneously fermented--outside Belgium, I know of no others. This beer takes its flavor from the cherries the brewery uses, which are sweeter and darker than those used in Belgian krieks. The balance of this beer is between the sweetness of those cherries and the sour yeast note. It is perhaps more sweet and less sour than I would prefer, but if its spontaneously fermented, the sour note wouldnt be adjustable. A remarkable accomplishment.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
dctriman (60) - USA - MAY 20, 2013
Bottle trade. Very syrupy. Good flavor, share this with a friend or 3. Really only need about 4 ounces at a time.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
HarryPlopper (57) - - DEC 25, 2015
Red appearance with some lacing when poured in a mug. Cherry scent, but not much else. Very bubbly and bright/tart cherry taste. No bitter aftertaste.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
alalvarez75 (57) - New York, USA - APR 28, 2012
Seems to be cherry candy. Carbonated cherry candy that sticks to the back of your throat. I know it's raved about, but it's a pass for me. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 5/20
BeerDeltaBravo (53) - Oregon, USA - JUN 19, 2012
Pours a vivid ruby red with a two-finger head. Amazing lacing. Excellent hoppy nose, punctuated with papaya and caramel. Intense herbal taste, laced with a touch of strawberry and grapefruit. Silky smooth mouthfeel and dry finish.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
beerprincess (52) - Indiana, USA - APR 5, 2006
Red/Brown color with tons of cherries on the nose and palate. What a great finisher to a wonderful tasting!!!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
soulgrowl (52) - Kitakyushu-shi, JAPAN - MAY 7, 2008
Aroma: Tart, crisp, and irresistibly appetizing, but rather one-dimensional. I smell cherries and thats about it. Appearance: A warm, sumptuous burgundy-fuschia rouge. No head to speak of, but what an interesting color. Flavor: When my brother first told me about this beer, he said it tastes just like cherry pie, and man, he wasnt kidding. Sweet, tart, very natural-tasting cherries, a touch of cinnamon spice, and some doughy notes, most likely from the wheat and roasted malts. Such a festive ale! I dont usually like sweet beers, but this is just plain delicious. Not artificial or syrupy in the least. Finish is clean and sour. Palate: Sparkly and light, matches the tartness perfectly. Overall: Since it is so sweet, I dont think I could handle more than a few glasses of this... but what a pleasure to savor slowly after dinner. I will definitely buy more when I return to Wisconsin for the holidays.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ReeceG (52) - Iowa, USA - APR 6, 2014
wonderfully crafted beer, taste/aroma is cherries cherries and more cherries. it is a little rich and can get thick to drink towards the end but that would be my only compliant, otherwise truly unique and wonderful beer

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
DTB (51) - South Philly, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 15, 2006
This beer poured a dark glowing red with a few light purple highlights. It was very clear with little bubbles clinging to the inside of my glass. The head was thin, off white and pink that left a thin and delicate lace. Smells initially of sweet cherry pie filling that, for an instant, is rather disappointing. Fortunately, the smell is then backed up with a musky sourness that adds a terrific amount of life and wholesomeness. Along with this fantastic cherry, there seems to be a musky lambic-like yeast. Tastes of powerfully tangy wild cherries. This is not just cherry sweetness, but the flavor clearly reflects actual cherry skin! This, combined with (what Im guessing to be ) the musky wild yeast creates a smooth and tangy cherry experience that is absolutely amazing. This is quite an accomplishment for the people at New Glarus. (thank you!) The mouth feel had a light soft body with a medium tingly carbonation thats a wonderful compliment to the tangy aspects of the flavor. I think that the mouth feel plays a crucial role in the delivery of the flavor, earning a high rating form me. Delicious! Absolutely delicious! This is so easy to drink and just dripping with quality and care. Theres a quality here that makes me wish there was a NA version of this available to have with breakfast every morning. I think Ill never be able to tolerate fake cherry flavors ever again. This is hands down a fantastic beer! The only shortcoming on its drinkability is the sweetness. Its necessary for the flavor, but I wouldnt want to split more than one bottle at any one sitting.