overall
RATINGS: 1494   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13/5   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Originally 5.1% - abv reduced to 4% sometime between 2009 and 2011.
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

UncleStinky (1) - USA - FEB 24, 2004 does not count
This is, quite possibly, the most exquisite beer ever brewed. It's certainly the best I've ever had. EVER. It is pure liquid ambrosia. I DREAM about this beer...And the reality is better. A true fruit ale hand-crafted in small batches from premium ingredients by a family brewery. The perfect, PERFECT balance of tartness and sweetness, with a slightly nutty aftertaste and an unbelievably smooth texture and robust color. Halfway between wine and beer and far better than either, with. Whatever you have to do to get your hands on a bottle or three of this delectable beverage, DO IT. You will NOT be disappointed. Experience this beer before you die, or you leave the world poorer.

alchoholica (1) - Wisconsin, USA - DEC 13, 2004 does not count
WOW! Was the first words I spoke as I poured this beautiful beer into my tall glass. A nice colour and body, the smell reminds me of home-made Cherry pie. And the flavour is just to die for. I’ve always been a fan of Sam Adams Cherry beer, but no more. New Glarus have hands down the best I’ve ever had!

jjohannsen (1) - Grayslake, Illinois, USA - JAN 26, 2005 does not count
Best fruit flavored beer in America and right up there with the best Lambics.

clownpenis (1) - madison, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 15, 2006 does not count
the only cherry beer i have ever tasted that did not make me feel like a woman. highly complex flavor. not just good for a fruit beer, it might be my personal favorite.

badgerfan (1) - temecula, California, USA - MAR 8, 2007 does not count
simply one of the best beers i have evr had in my life. the flavor of the beer was perfect. The New Glarus Brewing company has new made a beer that i dont like.

beerisfun (1) - Kentucky, USA - OCT 23, 2007 does not count
What can I say that hasn’t been said already? I’m not usually a fan of the "fruity" beers, but this I love. I was really lucky to get ahold of a couple of bottles of this. It is not sold in my area and that makes me sad! I will have to make a trip to Wisconsin to visit my friends more often.

Tigerlilly22 (1) - Wisconsin, USA - APR 13, 2008 does not count
Amazing! Tried it first when we went for the New Glarus Brewing Company tour. It was one of the samples after the tour that day. I am not normally a beer drinker but I rave about this to everyone. You would think that it may not mesh just right for your palate initally, but the cherry notes are perfect, and almost provides a lingering sweet cherry aftertaste, over the initial boldness. The carbonation level is perfect, it is lightly carbonated in my opinion. There is no slack in the brewing of this gem, batch after batch this stuff is perfect. We now get this for every single one of our dinner parties because it pairs nicely with practically anything. Both Beer and Wine lovers can really enjoy New Glarus Belgian Red!

UMNBeerhunter (1) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JUL 18, 2011 does not count
Pour: Small head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing but does have the added sound of bubbles popping vigorously in the evening. Smell: Like cherries almost like a halls but alluring, not so much like medicine, but like a cherry soda. Tastes: Very tart, lots of cherry, and sweet. Tart sticks to your lips and gentle bitterness left on the back of tongue. Body: Little carbonation but balances well with the tart. The sweetness is a little more then I care for but is refreshingly different then most that try to capture the sweet side. Fruit is not my favorite style but NG does this nicely in an unthreatening way. I wouldn’t have another by myself but would share one with some wine loving friends.

oldbluetop (1) - Portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 31, 2011 does not count
This is a nearly perfect beer. Strongly cherry flavored without being overwhelming or off-balanced. Wonderful mouth feel.

adamwatkins90 (1) - - JAN 20, 2012 does not count
Wonderful fruit beer with every swallow filled with cherry taste; however, the fruit is not too sweet or overpowering. A must try for any beer enthusiast or cherry lover.