overall
RATINGS: 1535   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13/5   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Originally 5.1% - abv reduced to 4% sometime between 2009 and 2011.
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

Jake Barnes (456) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 30, 2002
What an interesting and difficult to describe beer. A beautiful ruby colored beer with decent head. The aroma is CHERRIES! Whoa i knew it was a fruit beer but i didn’t expect this. The flavor is intensely cherry but just when it starts to become too much a blast of sour cuts in and adds a depth of complexity to the beer. Don’t think i could drink this everyday but it would be nice every now and again. I would like to age a bottle for awhile. I think i will....

jsquire (4489) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - NOV 25, 2004
Jewel red out of the bottle with a redish/orangish foam head. The nose is all cherries and reminded me of the filling to a Hostess cherry fruit pie. Very bubbly on the tongue. My little sister thinks it tastes like a wine cooler and my Dad says it tastes like crap. I think it tastes like cherries. Very tastey real cherries and not the fakey artificial flavors in most beers. It does taste like a cherry pop. I like this well enough, but I don’t get why it is so highly rated.

StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 29, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 25, 2005 Thanksgiving 2005.
Hazy ruby red grapefruit color with a fluffy, non-stick lacing. Aromatics accentuate the fruity nature, drawing out red currant, cherry 7-up, cherry cheesecake, red grapes and mild juniper berries. Sprits of cherry cordials is the first non-"given" flavor to register. Sweetness prevails, curtailing with a mild fruit sourness. Ruby red grapefruit compliments the heap of cherries in the sweetening aspects, not as a souring agent. Encompasing and ripe on the palate, finishing like cherry cheesecake and natural cherry sauce drizzled all over.

Thanksgiving 2004.
Very interesting. Tart. You can tell the real cherries that go into this are carefully selected. Nice hops, wheat senstation too. It’s hard to describe what this beer is like. I brought it to Thanksgiving dinner and it went really well with the turkey.

redmosquito (172) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - DEC 28, 2004
Again I must thank Clark for bringing this in. This beer pours more of an auburn in color tan a red (which you’d expect from a beer with cherries on the label) and an whitish head. The aroma is all cherry "fruit roll up" as one taster put it, and a slight tartness. The flavor is very sweet, little to no malt flavor, and then some tartness. This has some body to it but there is a little harshness in the finish. Overall for a Belgian style it is extremely drinkable, if you like sweet beers.

Dough77 (821) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - FEB 15, 2005
Thanks to Footbalm for this brew. Pour is a reddish brownish, not quite the most appealling looking beer I’ve seen over the years. Then comes the cherry dominated aroma, followed by the cherry dominated taste. Its a good beer, very sweet with a nice sour kick.

YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - DEC 29, 2003
While I liked this, I never expected such high ratings for it. It was a pinkish amber color with bubbles, white head. Like a sparkling rosé wine. Definite cherry aroma and flavor. Was, to me, like drinking cherry soda. Very good but not spectacular as others seem to think it.

PattyBoy (302) - North Liberty, Iowa, USA - JUL 30, 2004
Pours cloudy red. Strong aroma like black cherry soda hits you immediately. Higly carbonated, subtely reminds me of champagne. The taste is all cherries. Sweet, but finishes a little tart, with a slight hint of spiciness. I have definitely never had anything like this before.

Frank (4193) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 6, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 16, 2004 Pours cranberry red with a fizzy pink head that’s mostly diminishing. Nose is loaded with tart cherry and some spice. Light bodied effervescent and refreshing. I rather enjoyed it.

sbaryenbruch (2) - barneveld, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 15, 2004 does not count
Hands down the best fruit based beer you will ever experience. Absolutely bursting with tart Wisconsin cherries. A perfect ice cold summer desert.

DYCSoccer17 (3697) - Woodland, California, USA - DEC 25, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 24, 2015 Wow, this aroma smells JUST LIKE my mom’s cherry pie. I will have to warn you that I LOVE cherries and there are few things I’d much rather have than my mom’s cherry pie. Sweet and tart cherries in the nose. Hazy amber color with red tints and a pink head. The start is very sweet cherries turning mildly sour. Gets a little more sour in the finish. Has some sweet malt tones to end. This has the perfect balance of the cherry sweetness and the cherry sourness. I wish I lived in Wisconsin! Don’t make me choose between this and Quelque Chose! (10/4/9/4/18) ~~~~~~~RE-RATE~~~~~~~~750ml brought back from Wisconsin. The aroma on this is of semi-sweet and semi-tart fruity cherries. More sweet than tart. Fruit roll-up is definitely present. Mom’s pie is no longer there. Transparent ruby-amber colored body. Medium, somewhat quickly dissipating taupe head. Starts with a sweet, syrupy, thick cherry flavor. Light tartness in the middle with a little spritzy carbonation thereafter. Finishes with more sugary sweetness. A bit sweet, and rather one-dimensional.