overall
RATINGS: 1503   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13/5   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Originally 5.1% - abv reduced to 4% sometime between 2009 and 2011.
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

Indra (2710) - Suburbia, Kansas, USA - DEC 18, 2002
Aroma of cherry pie, straight from the oven and cooling on the proverbial windowsill. Fetching opaque brownish red in color with a bit of pink showing around the edges and a slight head with very fine carbonation. Tart and somewhat sweet, fruity flavor profile, cherry juice being apparent throughout all phases. Some spices come out of hiding once the beer warms a bit, but overall the tart and sweet cherry and faint maltiness (a bit of wheat as well) serve as the focus. Finish is very lengthy. After my first couple of sips, I wasn't so sure this was the masterpiece it's renown seems to indicate, but after a little while I really started enjoying it. Not quite as complex as some of the Belgian beers of this style I've sampled, and a 750 really is quite a lot to drink by yourself. Overall, however, I appreciated it, and I've definitely never had anything quite like it.

TAR (2802) - Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina, USA - JAN 24, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 14, 2005 re-re rate: Soft mouthfeel (cherry skins?). My mouth was coated by a silky-cherry skin texture that left me licking and sucking my lips until all the deliciousness had diminished. Sourness and maltiness play a huge role in this beer; nice vinous notes to boot. oh so balanced and complex! Much better than last sample for some reason. A solid gateway beer. Just needs more oak and tartness.

Velveeta99 (13) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 13, 2002
A little too cherry-ish for me, although I can see the quality that went into this brew. Nice. I hear the brewery has a nice tour worth taking. Somewhat tart and a scary color.

jaymobrown (1845) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 19, 2002
Dark cherry red color. Well, pretty much like a cherry ginger ale. It's really more sweet than tart or sour, which makes it much more easy to drink. Some more dark notes to balance out the cherries would be nice. However, it is a hugely flavorfull beer.

fraternie (1030) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 16, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 24, 2003 Strong cherry aroma. Overwhelming cherry malt flavor, and little notes sourness add to its complexity. Tart finish seems well balanced. Not as complex a malt as I would have liked as the cherry flavor is quite powerful and tends to dominate, but overall a very refreshing sour ale.

herbjones (742) - Orange, California, USA - JUL 9, 2003
Dullish red pour with an intense pink head. Tart nose to match the flavor. Glad this was able to avoid being to soda-ish. Nice summer brew but more than one could be a bit much.

thedm (6320) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - OCT 19, 2003
Fort Wayne event. This twelveth brew of the evening came from BigBadBear63. We drank this one to try and give our palates a break from the other big brews that had been battering our senses. This brew poured a small head of fine to medium sized slightly purplish hazy colored bubbles that were quickly diminishing. There was a grainy sediment to it that was visibly suspended within it. It had a strong cherry aroma and a bubbly sour cherry mouthfeel. The flavor was once again fruity. Another very nice brew, a bit sour, but then I think it was supposed to be that way hehe. Sure this isn't a fruit beer?

mrkimchee (1414) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 2, 2004
cloudy red, off white head. very nice aroma of sweet and sour cherries, cherry pie filling, vanilla, spice and bit of lemon and malt. flavour is very jammy and tart with a bit of cinnamon. good coating moutfeel. very nice.

biz82 (1327) - austin, Texas, USA - APR 22, 2005
Hazy and ruddy red with little head. Tart cherry aroma with some cinnamon and tea. Very sweet and acidic with low carbonation but what feels like a carbonic acid finish on the back of the throat. Has an herbal tea quality to it and reminds me a bit like of something from Celestial Seasonings. Very clean and refreshing.

BeerAteHer (384) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - APR 23, 2005
Pours a pale ruby color with tint more like an ale than a fruit. Beautiful peach head that unfortunately dissipates within 45 seconds -- however, I won’t slight it for this because with this type of beer it would be expected that fruity acidity will cut down the head; in any case there’s plenty of spotty lacing with each sip. Aroma is commendable: about 40% sweet cherry but also about 30% hops and 30% grain. Taste is very complex, with tart cherry at the base but also presenting other elements including Hungarian paprika, apple cider with a cinnamon stick, Lipton tea and a touch of hops. Finish shows a mellowness and has a raisin tinge totally unlike the perhaps too bold tartness in the mouth. I can see how this would finish around the top in its class.