overall
RATINGS: 1740   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Dragon’s Milk is a 17th century term used to describe the strong beer usually reserved for royalty. This strong ale was aged in oak for over 120 days. The aging process extracts flavors from the wood, which contribute to its complex character. Hints of bourbon flavor perfectly compliment its roasted malts to produce a beer fit for a King.

VertBaconStrips (2402) - Blerkablerka, VENEZUELA - SEP 21, 2010
Bought in GR. Wow - poured out like a stout with a light brown cap on the small side that rims and leaves my glass a mess. The aroma is drooltastic! Sweet yet not, brown sugar, vanilla, tangy booze, orange/cherry mix, blackberries, cocoa, ok roasted malts, light earth, woody, sweet plum. The aroma is just stellar - I think I could breath this in until the entire beer evaporated in my nostrils. The taste is damn fine as well with brown sugar that might be burnt, some booze minus most, if not all of the alcohol, cocoa all over the place in the middle, licorice, molasses, vanilla, light nut. The alcohol is more noticeable as this warms up. Goes back waaaaay to fast, very very velvety, leaves almost a slight coffee related bitterness? Huh? Excellent brew - a big surprise considering I had no idea what I was drinking until it was in my glass.

StefanSD (2468) - Ouray, Colorado, USA - SEP 21, 2010
650ml bottle courtesy of hopburp. 2010 vintage. Pours a nearly opaque dark brown color with a small khaki head that has fair retention and some lacing. The aroma is resplendent with oodles of vanilla, nuts, leather and dark fruirts. The flavor, like the aroma, showcases vanilla with walnuts, leather, raisins; and just a hint of hot alcohol on the back end. The palate was smooth and creamy, and the carbonation is lively. Finishes long with lingering vanilla. Overall: If hunger is the best sauce, then thirst makes the best quaff. Today that was the case--I came home from hard day at work, I’m exhausted and aching, and this beer hits the spot just perfect. In the Forums, someone said that a rating is just a snapshot in time of a beers impression on the taster, well that being the case, then this beer just won a Pulitzer.

RoyceH (1200) - Hesperange, LUXEMBOURG - SEP 19, 2010
Bottle. Pours thick and black, with a thin brown head. Aroma is sweet, treacle, malty. Mouth is thick, alcohol, vanilla, wood, chocolate, with some heavy roast. Flat and thick, and takes a while to drink. Lasting spirit burn. Quite nice.

BTofthe4Bros (20) - Ontario, CANADA - SEP 13, 2010
Appearance - pours a slick pitch-black, small light brown head. Aroma - nose has a fair bit of sweetness, is buttery, noticeable oak, vanilla, roasty caramel, with underlying dark chocolate, ground coffee, maple syrup. Palate/Flavour - nice slick body, surprisingly medium-light, fine foamy texture, flavours predominently of oak, coffee, vanilla, with bitter chocolate, a buttery oaky finish.

1010 (309) - Dublin, Ohio, USA - SEP 12, 2010
Pours a deep brown with a thin tan head. Had a strong oak wood aroma with a hint of coffee. You can taste almost taste the oak barrel that it was in and has a strong alcohol content, but was a little flat. Would drink this one again. 12 oz. bottle.

SamGamgee (2585) - down the whirlpool, California, USA - SEP 10, 2010
12oz bottle from the Lakeview Binny’s. Dark brown with a small light tan head. The aroma has some marzipan, chocolate, bourbon, and fruity alcohol. The flavor has a strong sweetness that is a little artificial and has a nice chocolate overlay and boozy, lightly woody balance. Hops are nil. Big and boozy without really being hot. Like eating a chocolate filled with bourbon, but a weak milk chocolate (which I despise). Delivers the bourbon barrel flavor on a budget, so something has to be said for that.

Shitpantz (61) - Illinois, USA - SEP 8, 2010
I’m usually not much for imperial stouts, but I find this one intriguing. Very malty nose and flavor with a very dark color and head. I did not have a snifter handy so a pint had to do which suited it just fine although it took away some of the aroma. The flavor is a punch in the face at first but mellows as it warms - I wouldn’t want to pair it with any food as this seems like it would overpower all but the smokiest food (which is better served with an IPA or double IPA) - it holds up very well on it’s own.

JoeinDahlem (1597) - Berlin, GERMANY - SEP 7, 2010
Dark, sweet, chocolatey, and seductive. Dangerous. It was only later, as my wife drove me home while I cranked up the Stones and begged her to drive me through Taco Bell, that I began to suspect that this beer was much stronger than I had previously thought.

rubbishystuff (2537) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 6, 2010
UPDATED: JUN 15, 2015 Had at New Holland. Not sure about this beer, I need a second go at it. It is good. However it’s complexity hides itself from the drinker. It is both as good and not as good as it actually is. If that makes sense. - Re rated. Much more complex and Oaky than I remember. Thick and tasty. Not sure what was going on the first time I had it. Serving: Tap

Savvy1982 (1706) - Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA - SEP 2, 2010
Bottle, which I brought back from Michigan. Pours clear black, with amedium to thin pale tan head, spotty to good lacing. Nose is a bit sterile, lacks the big aroma I would expect of a barrel-aged beer. Some light smoky malt, plus some biscuity notes, light fruit and bread. Flavours run to the raisiny, I feel like this is a Belgian Strong Ale recipe fermented with American yeast... Odd, and surprisingly brilliant. Licorice, both red and black, serious anise notes, coffee, and oak-tannin, man this keeps evolving. Why did I share this? Dammit! This is an all-evening beer. Lovely. Damaged, but lovely. Like that hot chick at Tim Hortons who has all those scars from cutting herself.