overall
RATINGS: 1075   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
This stout is sheer beer poetry. Let it warm to about 45 F and pour it into a glass to fully experience its rich, roasty flavors and hints of coffee and chocolate. One glass and youll agree: The Poet is truly a rich, creamy brew of epic proportions.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
ubamartian (155) - Watertown, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 1, 2008
Pours dark, with a good tan head. Aroma of malts, molasses, and coffee/chocolate. The taste is a good blend of coffee, chocolate, and the malt, with a hint f hop bite. No alcohol flavors that I could detect. This a a very decent full stout that goes down very smooth. But just not quite there for me to like it a whole lot.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Magjayran (1378) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - FEB 25, 2008
Pours black with a dense tan head. Big coffee and molasses aroma. Coffee, liquorice, and chocolate dominates my taste buds. Nice to enjoy a lower alcohol beer that is still big on flavor.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
DWestrick (700) - Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA - FEB 22, 2008
good beer. dark and malty stout. strong roasted coffee flavor. enjoyable beer...goes down great and pretty smooth.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
zootfinster (220) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 22, 2008
This is a very dark, malty, fragrant delicious beer. Super smooth. Very easy to drink a lot--a whole lot. Goes to the top od my list

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
CP (124) - USA - FEB 21, 2008
This is probably one of the smoothest beers I have ever had. Comparable to Dark Horses Too Cream Stout in that regard. Has a typical dark/brown coloration of a stout with a bold yet smooth mix of coffee, chocolate, and a hint of roasted nuts. It is a thin for a stout but makes up in drinkability and SMOOTHNESS.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
joekfsu (138) - Boardman, Ohio, USA - FEB 20, 2008
12 oz bottle. Pours nearly black with 1 cm of tan creamy head that is slowly diminishing. Aroma of chocolate and malts. Initial flavor is a mix of chocolate and coffee. Flavor ends with more hops and lasts for a while. Slight lacing, no noted carbonation, medium mouthfeel, and alcohol was well hidden. Drinkable because it is so light, nothing real special for a stout.

nearbeer (5140) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 20, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2015 12 oz. Opaque black with a four-finger head that settles into a lasting quarter-inch froth. Nose is peppery, smoked molasses with a faint metallic twinge. Flavor seems a perfect harmony of lots of flavors: molasses, hickory smoke, coffee, sour cream, brown sugar, ash, green herb. A tad larger than medium body is creamy smooth, watery enough to be sessionable, and pretty evenly divided between sweet and dry.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 1/20
DeadGuyFrank (347) - http://westchesterbeer.com, USA - FEB 18, 2008
The commerical description states "stout is sheer beer poetry." Well whoever wrote must be reading Poetry for Dummies, this stuff is really disappointing. The utter taste of oatmeal isnt in a good way. almost tastes like to way too much Oatmeal in the outmeal stout. Coffee and chocolate notes are really subtle. Boo!!!!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (7288) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 16, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 8, 2014 I used to like this one a lot more back when there was a chocolate element that has disappeared. +++ Sampled from a 12 oz brown bottle this beer poured a black color with a medium sized dark tan head that lingered and left good lacing. The aroma was dry roasty malts, bitter coffee and floral hops. The flavor was dryish, bitter and roasty with light notes of coffee, wood and floral hops. Long finish. Medium body. Meh.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
StFun (567) - Indiana, USA - FEB 11, 2008
One upon a craftbeer tripy, while I pounded Ales and IMPies,
Over many a rate and delicious craftbeer of forgotton lore,
While I nodded, slowly ambling, suddenly there came a grabbing,
As of someone wildly rambling, rambling at my craftbeer store.
Tis some drunkard, I muttered, grabbing at my craftbeer store-
Wanting piss and nothing more.

Ah, distinctly I remember, it was in the bleak October
And as I sat dyingly sober, ready fopr the beer to pour
Eagerly I wished the growler; -vainly I had sought for hours-
From my wants of drunken power-power for this Stout of War-
For the rare and radiant marzen which was not the Stout of War-
Nameless here for evermore

Of the silken jet black throttle, pouring of each purple bottle
Thrilled me filled me with a nutty flavor, I had tasted once before;
So that now, to still the yearning for oat-n-chocolate, I stood repeating
To the flavors were secreting , too strong, left me wanting more-
Some flavors were secreting, too strong left me wanting more
Quote this Raven, nevermore.