overall
Brewed by John Smiths (Heineken UK)
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3529   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.95/5   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in keg and bottle.
Newcastle Brown Ale was first brewed in 1927 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, by Jim Porter after three years of development. Production moved from Newcastle to Gateshead at the end of 2004 and to Tadcaster on closure of the Dunston brewery in 2010.

1.3
Tejas (1007) - Dallas, Texas, USA - AUG 23, 2004
This beer stinks to me...literally. I had a really hard time getting past the terrible smell to get to the taste. Once I did, I found it very thin and not very drinkable. If I bought a 6 pack, 4 of them would sit on the shelf for a long time. I need the shelf space for far better beers.

Habman (23) - London, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 16, 2004
Came in a 440 ml can, so I gave it a vigorous pour into my "pint" glass. Initial off-white head dissipated within a couple of sips. Malt aroma with only a slight hoppiness. Flavour starts on the nutty/woody side finishing sweet. Used to be my idea of a "real" beer when I first started venturing beyond the generic Canadian brands, but now it seems a bit watery and short on flavour. Perhaps age has numbed my senses. I still grab one a few times a year.

nmoskop (79) - Arizona, USA - AUG 12, 2004
I’m a bitter beer guy by nature, but this one always hits the spot. Great flavor, goes down smooth as any. Hey, if AC/DC drinks it exclusively, who am I to argue?

brewshthereen (316) - Oregon, USA - AUG 11, 2004
Cigarsnbeer’s description is spot on. This has weakened over the years. The preservatives used for a longer shelf life zaps the brew of it’s flavor. Bland and watery. Slightly nutty with some light carmel maltiness. Thin mouthfeel. I wonder if the Newcastle consumed in England is any better? Probably another case of smart advertising selling a mediocre product. Way to expensive for what you get.

RichardWilding (201) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - AUG 10, 2004
Bottled. A slightly sweet aroma, perhaps caramel. Some nuttiness. Slightly watery, and bland. Malty, but just not that interesting.

EnderKiller (26) - Athens, Ohio, USA - AUG 9, 2004
I always remembered this beer as being better than it actually is. A bit skunky and watered down, barely nutty at all. A nice roastyfeel to it and smooth going down but pretty weak overall.

mjg74 (3157) - La Mesa, California, USA - AUG 8, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 19, 2007 Pours a dark brown color. Aroma is slightly roasted. Flavor is of caramel and some roasted malts. I used to think this stuff was world class.

cigarsnbeer (146) - Valley City, North Dakota, USA - AUG 7, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 11, 2004 I don’t know, but it seems to me this beer has become watered down over the years. This isn’t a bad beer, but hardly worth $9.00 a sixer. Light malt flavor and rather bland, if you can get one for cheap its will do in a pinch.

MrWalker (926) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - AUG 6, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 10, 2005 Bottle @ Akkurat, Stockholm
Malty, a bit of dark fruits. Mostly harmless.

KUEric (977) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - AUG 4, 2004
I enjoyed the nutty stronger taste, but as a young guy, fairly new to beer, it wouldn’t be the first of the evening for me. I found it to be smooth for the strength of the taste.