%>
overall
Brewed by John Smiths (Heineken UK)
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3527   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.95/5   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in keg and bottle.
Newcastle Brown Ale was first brewed in 1927 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, by Jim Porter after three years of development. Production moved from Newcastle to Gateshead at the end of 2004 and to Tadcaster on closure of the Dunston brewery in 2010.

firemedic713 (169) - Palm Bay, Florida, USA - MAR 28, 2004
Amber brown beer with a small, creamy head. Good crisp taste with little bitterness or aftertaste. Always been okay but doesn't seen as good as it once was to me.

roder60 (1289) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 28, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 18, 2005 I used to be absolutely crazy about this beer, would drink it all the time, but recently I no longer find the fascination with it i once did. Still enjoy it as a good fallback beer when nothing else is good, but don’t revere it like i used to. Pours a light brown color with small amounts of white head. Flavor is watery and brown sugar, aroma weak and sweet. Overall, a decent enough beer.

xsketchyx (184) - Oregon, USA - MAR 27, 2004
On tap. Very nice tasting, sweet and nutty brown ale. Far better than I expected, rated so low because it's so available? Better than Guinness, that's for damn sure.

BUrunner (92) - Indiana, USA - MAR 27, 2004
Good color, nice aroma, thin head. This beer seemed a bit weak and thin, a sweet head and quick finish. Not bad with food.

zen (41) - Long Beach, California, USA - MAR 23, 2004
This is another "lost it's way" beer. The "10 years ago, this was cutting-edge" saying that I use in so many situations, non-beer as well. It does pour nice, with an above average appearance. Although the smell was not "skunky", I sensed a bit of medicinal quality to its' aroma. The taste, despite the color is light-bodied, a bit o' salt on the bottom of the tongue and sweet through the middle. Long gone, is that nice refreshing tang- it onced possessed, enter the sugary finish! Recently we had these at a night-club, when not much else was available. I hate hangovers, and mostly avoid them. It just seems impossible with this beer, no matter how responsible I am. To be more detailed about this beer, I can more easily say what it's not anymore. Gone is the roasty, medium-body, pinch of hop bitter finish this once was. I hope this brew is proud of it's self. You've made it! Your big-time! Now I'm subject to statements like "Dude, Newcastle."

Jine (903) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - MAR 23, 2004
Not bad at all, not super-good either. A lot of people around me endorse it as a higher quality beer, then I remember I go to college and that Rolling Rock can also be considered high-quality. I'll drink it occasionally, but at 33 dollars a case, its rough.

rajendra82 (1101) - Alpharetta, Georgia, USA - MAR 19, 2004
The appearance was clear reddish brown with a small and unimressive head. The beer was seved to me too cold with a frosted mug. At the initial temperature, it tasted like a non dememo mass produced product, i.e, very sharp and acrid and lacking any discernible taste. I let it warm up, and it got much better. At the proper temerature, this tasted mild and sweetish with a hint of hoppyness. Still lacking any special character, but a passable ale, a cut above the mega brewery swill marketed to the dumbed down masses.

Mehmet22 (35) - Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 16, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 19, 2006 Clear bottle. Pleasant earthy aroma. A hint of copper. Sort of fizzy ale, with hardly any head.

CEZ (414) - Milano, ITALY - MAR 16, 2004
Nice orange body with a fizzy, medium-sized head, mostly lasting. Hazelnuts, caramel and malt in the aroma. Sweet, smooth, balanced and drinkable, but flavors are rather bland and palate is thin. I even seemed to detect some alcohol (?) in the taste. Not a bad beer, but one that fails to live up to its fame.

Primetime04 (4) - Minnesota, USA - MAR 15, 2004 does not count
nice beer, a little on the expensive side. good for all you folks who are looking to cathch a "buzz"and don't like the mainstream stuff like bud. lacks any type of bite. very light on flavor so you can consume fairly fast. very little bitterness for a brown. i recommend,ENJOY!