overall
Brewed by John Smiths (Heineken UK)
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3733   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.95/5   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in keg and bottle.
Newcastle Brown Ale was first brewed in 1927 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, by Jim Porter after three years of development. Production moved from Newcastle to Gateshead at the end of 2004 and to Tadcaster on closure of the Dunston brewery in 2010.

ksaker (4) - Indiana, USA - MAR 29, 2003 does not count
Not bad...crisp clean taste and beautiful color. Very good beer to have your newbie beer tasting friends try...

JPDIPSO (6223) - Wauwatosa, USA - MAR 26, 2003
Bottle. Clear copper color with a moderate light tan head. Heavy caramel aroma with a hint of hops and english ale yeast. Quite fizzy. Caramel and floral hops flavors with a somewhat biting acidity. Bitterness only comes out in the finish. Nothing extrordinary, but a very drinkable brown ale.

Rapier21 (1) - San Luis Obispo, California, USA - MAR 26, 2003 does not count
Definate maltyness, in the aroma and in the flavor, although the aroma is somewhat fruity while the flavor has more of a nuttyness. Somewhat golden brown in color. No head to speak of. Smooth and clean; goes down nice and easy. My first brown; I will definately be trying more.

awaller05 (305) - Sharon, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 18, 2003
Well as I said as I was rating the other Brown Ales is that this is becoming one of my favorite styls to try. I'm glad this isn't my first attempt at a brown ale. It smells tinny when poured, but has the nice brown tint to it. Taste is watery and is easily downed. As browns go this is a nice beginner, but doesn't hold a stick to Bells.

SimonPatrice (312) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 18, 2003
Better than I thought it would be. It had a reddish amber color without much head, a malty, roasty and a bit fruity aroma with flavors of malty caramel with some nuttiness. A good thirst quencher.

CaptainCougar (7133) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - MAR 18, 2003
Pours a dark copper with good head. Decent malty balance with a slightly chocolate finish. Smooth and enjoyable, but not spectacular. Pretty good though for its wide availability.

OKBeer (1171) - Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA - MAR 18, 2003
Mild, sweet malty aroma. Brown/orange/red colour with an off-white fizzy head. Taste is light, mostly sweet malt and caramel with a faint bitter finish. Thin and light-bodied.

Shag (3000) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - MAR 13, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 7, 2003 This is the mainstream version of a brown ale. I cant complain. Aroma is faint. Appearance is a nice brown. Flavor falls a little flat with a hint of nuttiness. This was the beer that got me away from being a loyal Miller drinker and I owe it a huge debt of gratitude. I still buy it every once in a while and it's my beer of choice at the local Wild Wings. After all the different kinds of beer I've tried I'll still say it's a good beer!

TheTsunami (162) - Arizona, USA - MAR 13, 2003
Surprisingly good beer for being in a clear bottle. Light amber color. Small head. Light nut flavor with malty undertones. Good stand-by beer.

Dougal (130) - Escondido, California, USA - MAR 12, 2003
This is a no threat Brown Ale. In a bottle the product comes out watery a less malty than the On-Tap experience. No head retention. Crisp, clean and women love it for that reason. Not the best English Brown out there but it goes down smooth and satisfies.