overall
RATINGS: 247   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.35/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Our Old Monkeyshine Ale is an exceptional example of a true, traditional-style English Pub beer. Nimbus Old Monkeyshine Ale is medium bodied and possesses a distinct, dark roasted flavor. Its sweet malty taste is derived from liberal use of seven varieties of specialty malts and a touch of brown sugar. Our Old Monkeyshine Ale is dark in color, beginning with a slight caramel malt overtone and rounded with a relatively dry finish from its English Kent Goldings hops. The hops aroma is mildly subdued and the bitterness is just enough to balance the profile of this beer. Nimbus Old Monkeyshine Ale is a true premium ale and is priced accordingly. We’re so proud of this beer for its body, taste, alcohol content and drinking enjoyment, it may just become our signature beer. Be warned: its wonderful malty sweetness camouflages the 8.0% alcohol by volume content. It’s a winner!

alexandersh (196) - Gilbert, Arizona, USA - JUN 12, 2013
Bottle; poured a dark color with a big off white head. No notes on aroma. Flavor had some dark fruit, and a bit of sweetness and hop bitterness. A tad on the thin side for the abv.

jgd0608 (187) - Zeeland, Michigan, USA - JAN 16, 2007
Courtesy of FlacoAlto. Pours a dark red with a thin beige head. Smells of honey and caramel. Nice medium bodied, creamy. Heavy malt taste with just enough hop backbone. Can taste a hint of alcohol, but it warms you up nice. Very good beer.

drewcifer85710 (158) - Youngstown, Ohio, USA - JUN 8, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 25, 2003 Sweet English Strong ale from Nimbus. Great flavor, very malty and skimpy on hops. Great smooth mouthfeel. This should be treated as a dessert beer, I think; after a pint or two the sweetness is overpowering and will get to tasting like cough syrup. Wonderful brew up to that point, however. Incidentally, the brewery calls this one an English Strong, not Belgian. Also, this is the SAME BEER as Old Bumble/Old Monkeyshine, it's been through a couple name changes. Interesting how a name change can take this from an English to a Belgian.

Pookie9121 (122) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - MAY 1, 2011
On draft at the brewery in Tucson, Arizona Poured a beautiful dark amber/copper color. Off white head. Taste included notes of caramel and nut. Recommended

rickyleepotts (104) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - FEB 14, 2013
When we first moved to Scottsdale, we went to Nimbus. The food was good, and the beers were decent... but nothing blew me away. This was the best, from memory, of their beers. Last week I wanted to see if my palate had changed since we moved here, so I grabbed a bottle at Total Wine & More. My palate has changed, because I really enjoyed the beer this time. It got better as it heated up, and has a nice sweet finish to it. It’s a classic example of an English ale. Sorry to see that Nimbus is having a hard time financially.

AcctError53893 (89) - holland, Michigan, USA - MAY 21, 2007
Bottle. Pours brown with minimal head. Very malty aroma with some fruits. Taste is malty with some hops and ends tasting like syrup. Smells much better than it tastes!

doomfistinc (82) - New Mexico, USA - APR 17, 2010
12oz bottle. Pours a very dark brown, almost black color with a cream colored head. Smell is very much barley and roasted malts. Creamy mouth feel. Tastes of dark rich malts with an aftertaste I can’t quite name. I LIKE this beer!

ragesaq (72) - Arizona, USA - NOV 6, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2009 English strong ale style, fresh malt with some nice brown sugar sweetness in it. Somewhat simple flavor profile, but when its a good one thats not a bad thing, very balanced. . Dark brown/orange color, light head, slightly dry finish, makes you wanting more.. It used to be called No Evil, I don’t know why they changed the name but its just as good.

asmithbeer (71) - California, USA - OCT 27, 2006
Very deep reddish amber pour, nice, with little creamy head. Mild smell, slighlty sour and a little bit like maple syrup. Flavor is very mild, slighly sour and malty, almost watered down. Nice try Nimbus, but not that great.