overall
RATINGS: 246   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.35/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Our Old Monkeyshine Ale is an exceptional example of a true, traditional-style English Pub beer. Nimbus Old Monkeyshine Ale is medium bodied and possesses a distinct, dark roasted flavor. Its sweet malty taste is derived from liberal use of seven varieties of specialty malts and a touch of brown sugar. Our Old Monkeyshine Ale is dark in color, beginning with a slight caramel malt overtone and rounded with a relatively dry finish from its English Kent Goldings hops. The hops aroma is mildly subdued and the bitterness is just enough to balance the profile of this beer. Nimbus Old Monkeyshine Ale is a true premium ale and is priced accordingly. We’re so proud of this beer for its body, taste, alcohol content and drinking enjoyment, it may just become our signature beer. Be warned: its wonderful malty sweetness camouflages the 8.0% alcohol by volume content. It’s a winner!

aleman2004 (8) - Alabama, USA - FEB 17, 2004 does not count
best beer I've ever had. This is a good strong English ale impression.Floral nose, sweet malt, caramel and quite fresh and pleasing to the senses.

MikesGOTurBeer (3) - USA - MAR 16, 2008 does not count
I found these at Vics La Fiesta Liquor in Mission Valley and had to try it. The artwork on the 6pack grabbed me and once I saw the 8.0abv I had to try it. I drank 3 as I began mowing my lawn and doing yardwork. I woke up on the couch 3 hours later with the lawn half mowed. Very strong, very tasty, and very punctual. (Always on time.)

Pasharnik (1) - - MAY 27, 2013 does not count
It's what I would call an acquired taste; but once acquired nothing else will do. Pasharnik

Beerhound (16) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JAN 22, 2003
Wowzers! This is great stuff. It has a distinct roasted malt aroma and a very light hop aroma. The taste is malty, roasted coffee-like and just downright good. It reminds me of some of the dopplebock beers I've had, but with a lighter body. Damn good beer.

Monroe1ato (12) - Indiana, USA - JUN 21, 2009
Poured a dark ruby with a fizzy off-white head. Aroma is plums, piney hops, a touch of caramel sweetness. Flavor is somewhat thin dark fruits, stale hops and metallic toffee. With chewier malts and American hops, I’d probably like this a lot more. But then it would probably be an ASA instead of an ESA, and it’s no coincidence that I like the former more than the latter. Still not a bad attempt.

Maltajo (329) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JUN 2, 2010
12 oz Bottle from Plaza liquers. Wow! What a great beer! Rich dark brown pour with a nice head. Fresh thirst quencher with a nice kick. Roasted dry finish. This needs to be sent nationwide!

woodfan99 (4) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JAN 22, 2002 does not count
Why is it called ’No Evil’? It’s a wonderfully wicked beer!!! The aroma and taste both had a complex blend of roasted, malty, smoky, coffee, maple syrup(?) mixture that was awesome!!! Too bad it is so strong....or else I would have had more!

justinlaz (2) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JUL 21, 2011 does not count
A great, flavorful and strong beer (8%). Its a great mix of fruit and caramel and is surprising every time I take a sip. A great find for any true connoisseur.

Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAR 30, 2003
A nice deep mahogany color on the pour, the head is moderate in size, the texture spumescent, beige in color and as it dissipates, the left over lace a nice coating on the glass. Floral nose, sweet malt, caramel and quite fresh and pleasing to the senses, with the start sweet and malty, the top is middling in its feel to the palate. Finish is a “Hop Heads” delight; boom right in the palate as the hops over run your taste buds, mildly acidic, dry as a desert bone aftertaste and a real treat for this old strong ale lover.

drewcifer85710 (158) - Youngstown, Ohio, USA - JUN 8, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 25, 2003 Sweet English Strong ale from Nimbus. Great flavor, very malty and skimpy on hops. Great smooth mouthfeel. This should be treated as a dessert beer, I think; after a pint or two the sweetness is overpowering and will get to tasting like cough syrup. Wonderful brew up to that point, however. Incidentally, the brewery calls this one an English Strong, not Belgian. Also, this is the SAME BEER as Old Bumble/Old Monkeyshine, it's been through a couple name changes. Interesting how a name change can take this from an English to a Belgian.