overall
RATINGS: 250   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.35/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Our Old Monkeyshine Ale is an exceptional example of a true, traditional-style English Pub beer. Nimbus Old Monkeyshine Ale is medium bodied and possesses a distinct, dark roasted flavor. Its sweet malty taste is derived from liberal use of seven varieties of specialty malts and a touch of brown sugar. Our Old Monkeyshine Ale is dark in color, beginning with a slight caramel malt overtone and rounded with a relatively dry finish from its English Kent Goldings hops. The hops aroma is mildly subdued and the bitterness is just enough to balance the profile of this beer. Nimbus Old Monkeyshine Ale is a true premium ale and is priced accordingly. We’re so proud of this beer for its body, taste, alcohol content and drinking enjoyment, it may just become our signature beer. Be warned: its wonderful malty sweetness camouflages the 8.0% alcohol by volume content. It’s a winner!

aleman2004 (8) - Alabama, USA - FEB 17, 2004 does not count
best beer I've ever had. This is a good strong English ale impression.Floral nose, sweet malt, caramel and quite fresh and pleasing to the senses.

MikesGOTurBeer (3) - USA - MAR 16, 2008 does not count
I found these at Vics La Fiesta Liquor in Mission Valley and had to try it. The artwork on the 6pack grabbed me and once I saw the 8.0abv I had to try it. I drank 3 as I began mowing my lawn and doing yardwork. I woke up on the couch 3 hours later with the lawn half mowed. Very strong, very tasty, and very punctual. (Always on time.)

Pasharnik (1) - - MAY 27, 2013 does not count
It's what I would call an acquired taste; but once acquired nothing else will do. Pasharnik

Beerhound (16) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JAN 22, 2003
Wowzers! This is great stuff. It has a distinct roasted malt aroma and a very light hop aroma. The taste is malty, roasted coffee-like and just downright good. It reminds me of some of the dopplebock beers I've had, but with a lighter body. Damn good beer.

Monroe1ato (12) - Indiana, USA - JUN 21, 2009
Poured a dark ruby with a fizzy off-white head. Aroma is plums, piney hops, a touch of caramel sweetness. Flavor is somewhat thin dark fruits, stale hops and metallic toffee. With chewier malts and American hops, I’d probably like this a lot more. But then it would probably be an ASA instead of an ESA, and it’s no coincidence that I like the former more than the latter. Still not a bad attempt.

Maltajo (330) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JUN 2, 2010
12 oz Bottle from Plaza liquers. Wow! What a great beer! Rich dark brown pour with a nice head. Fresh thirst quencher with a nice kick. Roasted dry finish. This needs to be sent nationwide!