overall
Brewed by Nøgne Ø (Hansa Borg)
Style: Imperial IPA
Grimstad, Norway

RATINGS: 687   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Nothing is like celebrating your own milestones. This is a celebration of our 500th batch of ale. It was brewed with joy and splendor; the brewer wore a suit, and a TV station filmed the event. As a base for this ale, we have elected to play with numbers: 5 hops, 100 IBUs, 10% alcohol by volume. Indeed it is an Imperial India Pale Ale. Big and bold. Great for a celebration!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Benjii (3049) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - DEC 17, 2011
On keg at The BrewDog Bar. Pours a deep ruby colour with a thin light tan head. Lovely aroma of peaches, pine, grass and some fruity alcohol esters. Flavours of mango, pine and pineapple with a delicious caramel and barley backbone. Moderate carbonation and a chewy mouth-feel. Tasty with a subtle alcohol hum.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
BarossaLuke (552) - AUSTRALIA - DEC 16, 2011
So, i was tad dissapointed by this beer. Quite hazy in colour, most likely from a large amount of dry hops. Quite a powerful hop aroma which was expected, the dissapointment came from the mouthfeel and palate of the beer. The had quite a heavy flavour that finished too sweet for my liking. Yes, there was a lot of bitterness but it didn’t balance the finishing sweetness and somewhat heavy mouthfeel that took away from my enjoyment of the beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
omega (900) - NEW ZEALAND - DEC 14, 2011
UPDATED: APR 24, 2013 Pours with a nice creamy head. Slight smokiness on the nose this beer has a richness in the palate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Glouglouburp (6103) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 12, 2011
In short: An overly yeasty citrusy/piney IPA. Just ok
How: Bottle 500ml. Consumed shortly after receiving it through private importation but already a little over 1 year after bottling date (almost 2 years before expiration date). I wish I could drink 3 months old Nøgne Ø beers in North-America, but at best they are always 9+ months old. Oh well….
The look: Cloudy dark amber body topped by a small beige head leaving lots of lacings on the glass
In long: Nose has plenty of fruity and dank hops and overripe organic matter of some kind. Taste is overly yeasty (typical from European IPAs), overripe citrus fruits, dough, pine needles, crème caramel. That wasn’t a fresh beer and it showed, however I drank my bottle only a few weeks after our private import group received the beer. Not sure what to say, should I stop drinking hoppy imports because they are never super-fresh? I was a bit disappointed by this one, drinking it was not the best way to spend 30 minutes of my life. I should have taken that 30 minutes to sit down and think about what I want to do with my life but I decided to drink a beer instead. For the sixth year and 154th day in a row.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
AlbertC (277) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - DEC 12, 2011
Aroma is peach, hoppy and fresh. Taste is Sweet, bitter and again the peach.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
grunx (367) - - DEC 12, 2011
Imperial Ipa densa i aromàtica. Gust poderós i amarg. Final sec. Gran cervesa.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Tmoney99 (14000) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - DEC 10, 2011
Draft. Poured a hazy reddish brown color with an average frothy off-white head that was mostly lasting with good lacing. Moderate to heavy complex sweet citrus aroma. Medium body with a slick texture and soft carbonation. Medium to heavy citrus bittersweet flavor with a solid bittersweet finish that was lasting. This is a change of pace good brew.

PotjeBier (2922) - Amsterdam, NETHERLANDS - DEC 2, 2011
On tap @ Beer Temple. Red color, hazy. Off white head that leaves lacerings. Aroma’s of citrussy hops, malty sweetness and sweet fruits, a bit roast. Flavor is sweet & bitter, nicely balanced. Medium bodied. Finishes with a medium bitterness, that becomes very bitter in the long run.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
PatBateman81 (178) - Caserta, ITALY - NOV 30, 2011
Bottle 50 cl bought @ Bir & Fud Bottega (Rome, Italy) and on tap @ Karhisma Birroteca (Piedimonte Matese - Caserta, Italy). I had Nogne #500 on tap just after when it was bringing out for the first time @ Brasserie 4:20, and I remember it as a fantastic DIPA: robust but refreshing, strong but drinkable, complex but session anyway. I’m pretty sure of my memories, it impressed me so much that I drunk greedily my pint that time. So I wonder if recipe has changed during time and since the brewery decided to insert this one in the common production. The fact is, now I’m in front of a different beer from the color: actually is dark orange, even cassock, and I remember a more light and pale orange aspect. Anyway, let’s concentrate on this - supposed - new version. Aroma is complex, a hop stratification that complicates too much things in my opinion; a breath will take out pineapple and mango, another dough and yeast, then grapes and grapefruit, caramel and green apple and so on. All is really FRESH, maybe too much. Need absolutely to age one bottle for at least six months. But, you know? The feeling is that of something in which they forced things to overemphasize. Undoubtly a good aroma, but you’ll get tired of. Going on to the flavor, there’s a very well balanced carbonation (more balanced than #100) in a medium creamy body where resinous and grassy boss the show; it’s difficult to extract something different except for citrus and some caramel (but not invasive as the common european DIPAs). Finish is astringent in a crescendo of grapefruit and lime, harshes tongue like the most freshest hops and last very well. In the end? The hoppier and less enjoyable version of the #100.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
JaBier (7394) - Capital City, Ohio, USA - NOV 26, 2011
Glass at Gallo’s Tap Room. Hazy copper pour with a thin off-white head. Caramel and grainy malt nose with earthy hops. Flavor starts with dark fruit and moves to caramel malt before the piney and earthy hops take over. Not bad, but definitely more of a barleywine than an IIPA.