overall
Brewed by Nøgne Ø (Hansa Borg)
Style: American Strong Ale
Grimstad, Norway
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 1044   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 19   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
In the US this is called "Winter Ale".

A dark ale brewed specially for the Christmas season, with a rich, complex taste of caramel. This is a strong, dark and rather sweet Christmas Beer – just the way we think a Christmas beer should be.

Recommended serving temperature 12°C/53°F. Great with cheese or nuts. Ingredients: Lager, Munich, caramel, black, and chocolate malt; Chinook, Columbus, and Centennial hops; English ale yeast, and our local Grimstad water.

19°P, 30 IBU, 8.5 % ABV.

pi2za (18) - DENMARK - DEC 1, 2004
Quite dark beer with a long lasting not too big head and a nice sweet taste....a very good christmas brew.

JensenTaster (1719) - DENMARK - NOV 13, 2004
(on bottle 2004 edit. thx Sigmund thx alot) My favorite among the Nøgne Ø so far, still has about 6 or 8 bottles from Sigmund. Grand X-mas brew here. I could go on in praising it, but I´ll just say: this is a perfect balanced ale, in all aspects; brewing in the making.

Sigmund (7832) - Tau, NORWAY - NOV 28, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 10, 2004 Rerate 2004, bottle conditioned: Recipe has been changed this year. The beer is now much darker, nearly black. Good tan head. Complex aroma and flavour, a distinct roastiness but also spices and leather. Full rich flavour, bitter aftertaste - this is a damn good beer!! Rating 2003: (500 ml bottle). Christmas/Yule ale from Norway’s sole uncompromising micro brewery. Only 5000 bottles made. Bottle conditioned. Deep copper colour, hazy only when yeast is poured. Moderate head. Aroma of oak, leather, caramel and spices. Flavour is malty and spicy, alcohol is evident. Drier than I expected. Good bitterness. A good beer, but after all the good things I’ve heard about it, I expected even more.