overall
Brewed by Nøgne Ø (Hansa Borg)
Style: Imperial Stout
Grimstad, Norway

RATINGS: 1758   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05/5   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
We think the Russian tsar would have liked his stout this way. A dark, rich ale in which a generous sweetness with roasted malt bitterness. Serving temp.10°C/50°F. Great with vanilla ice cream or dark chocolate.

Ingredients: Maris Otter, Munich, roasted barley, oat, black, and chocolate malt; Columbus and Crystal hops; English ale yeast, and our local Grimstad water.

23°P,75 IBU, 9% ABV.

Imperial Stout fra Nøgne Ø er en tett og helt svart ale med stor fyldighet. Smaken domineres av kaffe, sjokolade, lær og tørket frukt. Vi synes den passer bra til mørk sjokolade og kraftige desserter.

michael-pollack (4959) - King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 9, 2008
500ml Bottle: Aroma of dark malts, chocolate, piney hops, roasting, and cream. Poured black in color with a large, dense, brown head that lasted throughout. Opaque. Excellent lacing. Flavor is lightly sweet and lightly bitter. Tastes of malts, chocolate, roasting, smoke, marshmallow, and some hops. Medium body. Thin, creamy, chalky texture. Soft carbonation. Malty, smoke-filled finish.

drfabulous (7943) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - FEB 8, 2008
It’s February. I have a feeling we won’t be having those long cold winters I used to get in Michigan. I have a feeling some warm times are ahead. I have a feeling. And because of that feeling, I need to think about those stouts I’ve been stashing. I need to think about drinking them. And I’m starting with this Nøgne Ø. Like all of my good beers, it came from out of state. Until recently, Nøgne Ø was just another beer I thought I’d never drink, a beer that others got, but I couldn’t have. So tonight, I’ll break that misconception. I’ll have what’s been denied me. Pours super black. Rick. Bitter. Can taste the hops. Chocolate. These are all the reasons we stash stouts to drink in the winter. We hibernate our beers. And when we break that hibernation, we enjoy the richness, the creaminess, the goodness of a stout like this.

BigMilly8 (389) - Wesley Chapel, Florida, USA - FEB 7, 2008
From bottle : Pours a dark black oily color with a half finger of medium dark brown head, that has pretty good retention. A very nice complex nose, a mix of roasted malts and hops, with alcohol notes that go very well with the other smells. Taste is really fantastic. Oaks, cherries, alcohol, sweet fruits, ending with some a nice subtle hop bitterness. Aftertaste is malty. Thick filling mouthfull, with a creamy palate, goes down very nicely. Very impressed with this one.

CaptBier (323) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - FEB 3, 2008
Bottle. A black beer with a no head. The aroma is sweet malty with both herbal and flowery notes, but also a lingering acidity in the background. The flavor is sweet malty with notes of violet candy sugar used for cakes in the beginning, but then turning towards roasted malt and chocolate in the end. Ok.

jefcon (1853) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - FEB 2, 2008
Oily and thick into the glass with a light brown head that leaves a very little lacing and a ring around the inside of the glass. Smells raisiny, with a strong backing of chocolate and something brighter, like a fruit jam. Thick and lingering on the tongue, with a rich texture and full mouthfeel. Slightly bitter on the finish. Flavors are complicated and interesting: nuts, chocolate, fireplace, raisin, cherry. Really a fabulous imperial stout.

Ljunkan (530) - Karlstad, SWEDEN - JAN 31, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 13, 2009 50 cl bottle at Bishops Arms, Karlstad, Sweden, shared with a friend. Great imperial stout from this Norwegian brewery, I’m impressed. Big hop character with a much roastiness. Flavor of chocolate and hard roasted coffey. Bitterness.

Bottle at Bishops Arms, Karlstad. Brewed in november 2006, 2 years and 4 months old... Pours a black color with a nice light brown head which remains until the beer is finished. Aroma of cacao/chocolate (almost like 80% cacao/chocolate imo), toffee, liquorice and coffee (lots of roasted malts, like roasted coffee beans I would say). Flavour is sweet at first with lots of dark chocolate, hard roasted coffee, toffee and liquorice. It’s a very roasted flavour overall with some nice notes of citrusy hops in the background (both in aroma and flavour). Aftertaste is really bitter. Palate is extremely smooth, carbonation is low and I must say that it can’t be smoother than this. Highly drinkable beer which you just got to love... my favourite brewery makes me impressed again ...

ElGaucho56 (394) - USA - JAN 28, 2008
Pours as black as tar and as syrupy to boot. Smallish but persistent tan head. Nose is of course roasty and chocolatey, but a lot less fruit character than most stronger stouts, varying instead along a dusty, earthy tone, with a bit of wet leaf hops hinted at. Body is surprisingly thin but silky carbonation helps. The roasted character opens up into tobacco, cacao qualities, before a strong medicinally herbal hop bitterness takes over and lingers long into the finish. Nice, but not really the top of the style for me, especially from a brewery I greatly respect.

illidurit (2340) - San Francisco, California, USA - JAN 26, 2008
Pretty near black beer with a chocolate milk colored head of 2 fingers. Poured into a snifter. A little lacing and decent retention. Very chocolatey aroma. A little roastiness and smokiness. Big mocha flavors up front and a bitter finish from all the roasted malts. Pretty smooth, good carbonation but the finish is kind of obnoxious in its bitterness. Pretty good offering from Nøgne, cool to try a Norwegian beer.

Tilley4 (218) - Huron, Tennessee, USA - JAN 22, 2008
Been sitting on this one a while and decided to crack it open on a cold, rainy January morning. The jet black pour and dark fruity aroma are matched well by the roasted malt and chocolate tastes in this one. I detect lots of Belgian qualities in this beer. Lots of dark fruit and chocolate with a nice hop kick at the end. Very good, solid Imperial Stout. Not the best I’ve ever had, but it is a really good beer. Very warming.

FlacoAlto (4182) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JAN 21, 2008
Early 2007 USA release, Sampled January 3008
Pours with a frothy, three-finger thick, chocolate tinged, dark tan colored head. The beer is quite simply black, whether held up to the light or not, but it did show a clear, dark chocolate brown color as I was pouring it into my tulip glass. As I pour this I get aromas of prunes and raisins. A deeper inspection of the aroma yields these notes again, but this time with a substantial roast side to them. Deeply roasted notes of espresso, dark chocolate, burnt-caramelized fruit, well toasted whole grain bread. Heady notes of slightly warming alcohol contribute a coffee liquor note as well as having touches of fruity brandy. After a bit of time the beer loses a bit of the appetizing fruit notes and becomes more burnt, acidic and roasted than before.

Thick and chew, but with a substantial burnt acidity to it that somehow keeps this a bit lighter than it is: The burnt acidity adds some acrid notes to the beer though, so it is not any more drinkable. Sweet, thick malt notes show through the roast character though and contribute to burnt, caramelized fruit notes of raisins, touches of prunes and a hint of berries. At times this can seem soft, creamy and inviting, but at other the roast character can intrude a little too much. Chalky burnt grain, bitter roast malt and a substantial hop bitterness when on provide a great balance to the sweet fruit and chocolate-like malt notes up front, but at other times can magnify the burn, roast, acrid acid character in this beer.

As the beer warms up a bit, the burnt acrid flavors become more under control; the beer becomes more soft, rounded, creamy and dark-chocolate like. Really this beer needs to be much closer to 60°F / 15°C than the 50°F / 10°C recommended on the label. This, much more integrated, smoother flavor, after the beer warms up really saves my experience of this beer.

A huge, roasted, malty Imperial Stout; at best this can be quite tasty and balanced, and even at worst it is still a solid example of the style. Imperial Stout fiends definitely need to get a hold of this one, but prepare yourself for a huge burnt grain character. The roast / burnt grain character should help this beer to age for quite some time, the one year of age on this does note even show up.

Purchased via mail order: <a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Solutions