overall
Brewed by Nøgne Ø (Hansa Borg)
Style: American Pale Ale
Grimstad, Norway

RATINGS: 700   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59/5   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
A refreshing light and hoppy ale. Probably our best allrounder. Recommended serving temperature 8°C/45°F. Ideal with barbequed or smoked meat dishes.

Ingredients: Maris Otter, wheat and caramel malt; Northern Brewer and Centenneal hops; English ale yeast, and our local Grimstad water.

tone77's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
tone77 (256) - Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 25, 2012
Has a cloudy dark brown color, some floaties in my ber. Smell is on the hoppy side. Taste is hops, some slightly medicianal flavor I can’t quite describe, a little different. Overall a decent beer.

simontomlinson (369) - Blackburn, Lancashire, ENGLAND - JUL 2, 2017
Pure white frothy head stayed well on a hazy, dark lemon coloured, finely carbonated, body. Citrus, lemon & yeast aroma - similar to a Saison. Medium to thin body. Tingly on the palate, dull & dry on the back. Fruity tastes of bitter/sweet citrus, spices, yeast, & a tangy finish.

tmdaines (74) - Stretford, Greater Manchester, ENGLAND - JUL 1, 2017
Beautifully hoppy, both aroma and a bitter taste. Very smooth, slightly floral. Lovely to drink with a meal, especially grilled meat.

sebsky (80) - ENGLAND - JUL 1, 2017
330 ml bottle @home. Best before 10/03/2018,brew date 10/03/2016. Aroma fruit and some yeast.Orange colour,hazy. Taste is mostly bitter,slightly fruity. Just no.

SarkyNorthener (4614) - West Bromwich (Yorkshire Expat), West Midlands, ENGLAND - JUN 17, 2017
Bottle thanks to the wife. Hazy golden beer with medium head. Aroma of light tropical fruit and malts. Taste is grapefruit, tropical fruit, green grass and hops. Good.

SilkTork (5737) - Southampton, United Kingdom, Hampshire, ENGLAND - JUN 10, 2017
330ml dark bottle, unfiltered. I can’t remember where I bought this. Yeasty nose and taste. I like that. It’s a little rough and wild. I like that. There’s flavour and character here. Really intriguing spicy aroma - hints of coriander suggestive of a quick hot fermentation. I like that as well because on the whole I don’t like the slow cool fermentation, as it doesn’t bring out the character of the yeast and malt in the way that heat does. This has the character I like. There’s hops here. Modern high alpha acid hops, which I like moderately, but not as much as most beer geeks, so that’s a slight downer for me. But the hops are not that excessive. They linger and burn a little, and if there had been a more moderate use of lower alpha acid hops, or more earthy English type hops, I would have liked this beer a lot more. So, there’s a lot here I really like. The brewing method is one that suits me. That the beer is still on the yeast suits me. But the hops are not my thing, and while not completely dominating, they intrude so much that they become more and more the centre of attention, taking away too much from the beauty of the malt and yeast. In the end it is the hops that decide it. And I doubt if this is a beer I will be returning to.

Hanoi (951) - Greater Manchester, ENGLAND - MAY 27, 2017
Bottle. Nose is very yeasty, pronounced mineral. Taste is mineral, yeast, cereal, citrus bite. It’s ok, I’m not convinced about the conditions of this bottle.

tanel025 (126) - ESTONIA - MAY 26, 2017
Hazy golden liquid with white cream. Fruity aroma, also yeasty. Taste is honey, hops, some tropical fruits. Light sweet, light to medium bitterness. Sweetness and bitterness are well balanced. Good beer, drinkable.

sonofian (103) - Birmingham, West Midlands, ENGLAND - MAY 19, 2017
Slightly dull pale that’s drinkable in the way you’d expect. Boredom and bitterness, mid-strength mediocrity.

lokis333 (499) - Biržai, LITHUANIA - MAY 11, 2017
Murky golden amber colour with tall white foam. Aromas of hops with tropical fruit characteristics with fresh honey, pineapple and passion fruit notes. Palate, medium to full body with smooth texture leaving a nice bready aftertaste. Taste, sweet fairly malty but with hops present in the background making a nice balance. Has notes of rye bread, seeds and grains with grassy herbal bitter hops in the background. Overall, nice brew would have guessed it being rye ale with funky hops but it is a pale ale, still enjoyable.

dj (620) - Greater London, ENGLAND - MAY 5, 2017
Bottle, 330ml. A cloudy pale golden colour with a small white head. Aroma of fresh hops, soft citrus, a faint herbal note. Flavour has lots of hop bitterness, approaching an IPA. Some roasted malt in the background along with citrus and candy sweetness. Not a fan of hop bitterness.