Nøgne Ø Red Horizon

overall
Formerly brewed at Nøgne Ø (Hansa Borg)
Style: American Strong Ale
Grimstad, Norway
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 309   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 510   ABV: 17%
We brewed this ale only with the famous sake yeast No. 7 from Masumi Sake in Nagano, Japan. On advice from Masumi’s master brewers we fermented this ale very slowly at low temperatures to bring out No. 7’s fabulously fruity character. This is a beer, but has some flavors found in a sake. A great combination!

MissouriBrent (122) - Missouri, USA - MAY 10, 2010
UPDATED: JUN 7, 2010 Aroma is malty and spicy. Hint of alcohol and vanilla in the aroma. Very pleasing aroma overall. Head was good after pour, but dissipated quickly, without a doubt due to the alcohol. Very clear and red-orange in color. Very malty flavor. Alcohol warmth right away. Lots of caramel and sherry flavors. Wow, alcoholic buzz right away! Drinking warm and the alcohol really comes through, but in a very pleasant way. This beer is all about malt and alcohol, not hop flavor or aroma. It has just enough hops to make it well balanced. Almost chewy mouth feel. Very nice beer. This beer is a slow sipper for sure and its alcohol flavor makes it self regulating as far as consumption goes. American Strong Ale? Who put this in that category? This might be better categorized in the barley wine style. Its hop profile, IMO, does not put this in the American Strong category. It is every bit as good as my 11 year old bottles of Thomas Hardy. My bottle was a gift from the brewer, and I wish I could get about 20 cases of this. This beer is incredible and should mature nicely over time. Very few beers these days make me take a half an hour or more to drink, but this is one that makes me savor every drop. I’ve been drinking this beer as I write this review and I still have half of the .25L pour left to drink. I’m taking my time on this one. I love Nøgne Ø beers, and this may be my new favorite. It is not a session beer, but an incredibly complex, contemplative beer. I’m a very jaded beer drinker, I’ve tasted thousands of beers, no joke, but this is the first beer in a long time that has made me slow down to a crawl and sip and bask in the warming malt love that envelops me with every sip. It is a shame most people will never taste this incredible beer. There is no room for improvement in this beer which is why i gave it a score with no room for higher rating. I’m a pretty hard judge of beers, and I don’t give this beer the score I gave it lightly. It deserves every point. If you have any chance ever to get this beer, get it. Find some quiet time, in a comfortable chair, and sip this beer and think about how lucky you are to be in such a perfect place.

DocLock (11189) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 14, 2011
8.5 fl. oz sequestered bottle in a gorgeous canister from Dr. Capone, the Earl of European beer. The pour is hazy ruby copperish with 1-finger or so of off-white head into a Stone RIS snifter. The nose is barleywiney; a medley of dark fruit, berries, earthy funky malts, yeasty spice. The palate is dense, and the flavor is complex as hell, a marvelous medley of honey dipped dark fruit, earthy spirity malts, yeasty notes, and hops. Overall comes off on the sweet side, very fruity, and a lot of honey, almost to the level of an eiscider, with some spirity and a definite sake undercurrent. This one is delicious, and as good as it gets for a beer.

TorbenJensen (1590) - Valby, DENMARK - SEP 20, 2015
Red Horizon is almost a liqueur. It is fruity sweet with notes of peach, passion fruit and tangerine. Lovely warming alcohol with full body reminds a lot about cognac. Not the boring and cheap cognac, but a really nice and soft cognac / armagnac. It can (and should not) be simply enjoy a very long time because there really talk about a masterpiece.

SvanteL (651) - SWEDEN - JAN 2, 2018
Rödaktig bärnsten, disig, litet skum som försvinner snabbt. I doften finns alla sorters torkad frukt, pomerans, trä, fatkaraktär. Smaken är mycket fyllig med massor av frukt - tropiska, aprikoser - en lite torr träsmak, under den stora sötman finns en balanserande beska, alkoholstyrkan (17%) märks bara som en skön eldighet. En helt fantastisk barley wine, det här är så bra det kan bli!

jikvig (269) - NORWAY - OCT 2, 2010
Mahogny red/brown colour, hardly any head but it´s not dead, there are alot of bubbles. On the nose it´s intense, there is a sweet fruityness from the alcohol, with raisins and dried fruit as the main aromas. On the palate it´s very rich. I mean REALLY rich on taste. It´s warm from the alcohol, but not "sticky" as you can get with higher alcoholed beer. A looong aftertaste with dried lemon as the main component! On of the best beers I have ever had, served at 12 C in a big-ass glass