RATINGS: 1698   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 32   EST. CALORIES: 282   ABV: 9.4%
With the developing interest in Belgian abbey ales and the monasteries that brew them, it’s time to remind the world that here in the U.S., we have a Monk of our own. Jazz icon Thelonious Monk is the inspiration for North Coast Brewing’s new Belgian-style abbey ale called, appropriately enough, Brother Thelonious. The beer is being released in conjunction with the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz (www.monkinstitute.org), and the brewery will make a contribution to the Institute for every case sold to support jazz education.
2013 vintage - 9.4% abv Like a Belgian “Dark Strong Ale”, the beer is rich and robust with an ABV of 9%. The package is a 750 ml bottle with a traditional cork and wire finish and features a label picturing the jazz master himself.

leeburg (230) - Juneau, Alaska, USA - JAN 11, 2008
I could probably be tough on this guy, because its basis of comparison for me are the trappists, Unibroues and St. Bernardus. But maybe that’s not fair. This beer has a lot going for it in every category, but too much metal in the aftertaste. It gets points because this style is my favorite. No BSA is a terrible BSA (so far anyway).

BMan1113VR (7929) - Los Angeles, California, USA - JAN 9, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 21, 2008 Labeled 9.4% abv. Aroma is pleasant with a light toasted sensation and moderate piney hops. There was also pear, nutmeg and cinnamon in the aroma. Appearance was nice. Average sized frothy off-white head that played the disappearing act. Color was a very dark amber or brown. The flavor was a bit of a disappointment, salty and sour at first followed by a very strong copper aftertaste. Good attempt at a Belgian strong, but I know that North Coast can do better. According to my dad this is a very good attempt at a common Belgian street ale. I have another bottle that I am going to age for a while.

OldMrCrow (2446) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JAN 7, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 8, 2008 Fresh 12 oz bottle.

Pours brown with red highlights, completely clear. Filtered? Good-sized foamy head. Sweet prune and molassas, belgian yeast and overripe banana in the aroma. The flavor is certainly on the sweet side, medicinal like herbal honey cough drops. Spicy, dry close. Larger, coarser carbonation in the mouthfeel.

This is relatively authentic in flavor and aroma, but I’m left underwhelmed. There’s a lot going on here, but no depth. The flavors don’t meld (yes, it’s young; I’ll try the older one some time) and they don’t harmonize. I’m sure mood plays a part in it, but I didn’t finish the 12oz glass and instead turned to single malt to finish off the night.

brianprentiss (703) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JAN 7, 2008
another really good beer from North Coast. I was expecting a bit more from a BSA but this is a solid beer nonetheless.

travita (5008) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JAN 4, 2008
Brown color and hazy with a good head. Aroma is sweet and fruity. Flavors are fruity and sweet with malt. Apples and banana flavors add nicely.

Fantomasus (291) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JAN 4, 2008
Pours deep amber with a thin off white head. Smells like raisins and caramel. Tatse is where this beer excels. I taste sweet Rich malt with a smooth hop balance. Dark chocolate, raisin, and brown sugar. Pretty complex. Finish is long. I love this beer!

Miksu (5052) - Jyväskylä, FINLAND - JAN 3, 2008
Bottle at Stockholm Beer Festival 2007. Mahagony color. Raisiny, chocolatey, nutty and caramelly aroma with soft alcohol note. Sweet sugary and raisiny flavor with dark sugar, toffee, phenols and warming alcohols. Some alcohol sharpness also.

TheSponge (342) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - DEC 30, 2007
12 oz. bottle - The aroma smells like a combination of Tootsie Rolls and yeast...it might not be for everyone, but I like it a lot. Flavor has hints of dried fruit and brown sugar.

LiebeBier (808) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - DEC 29, 2007
750 mL Bottle - A cool label and a great beer. I agree with many reviewers about the beautiful mahogany beer and beige head. A rich caramel malty flavor with a semi sweet subtle spice flavor.

leninthedesert (116) - Nevada, USA - DEC 28, 2007
One of the best beers I’ve ever had. Visually, one of the most beautiful beers as well. Pours a deep, clear amber-red, that actually appears to have a sunburst effect as you look at it through the side of a belgian glass. Aroma is sweet and fruity with a wisp of yeast. Taste is earthy and fruit that spreads out on the palate into a bitter/sweet finish on the sides of the tongue. Finish also has notes of yeast and alcohol. In short, a masterpiece by our friends at North Coast!