RATINGS: 1738   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 32   EST. CALORIES: 282   ABV: 9.4%
With the developing interest in Belgian abbey ales and the monasteries that brew them, it’s time to remind the world that here in the U.S., we have a Monk of our own. Jazz icon Thelonious Monk is the inspiration for North Coast Brewing’s new Belgian-style abbey ale called, appropriately enough, Brother Thelonious. The beer is being released in conjunction with the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz (www.monkinstitute.org), and the brewery will make a contribution to the Institute for every case sold to support jazz education.
2013 vintage - 9.4% abv Like a Belgian “Dark Strong Ale”, the beer is rich and robust with an ABV of 9%. The package is a 750 ml bottle with a traditional cork and wire finish and features a label picturing the jazz master himself.

DYCSoccer17 (3697) - Woodland, California, USA - OCT 3, 2007
750 mL bottle that is ubiquitous here in northern California. I’m sure I have had this before, but I guess I haven’t rated it yet. Very raisin-like, vinous aroma with some sweet molasses/brown sugar notes, too. A little doughy, a little sweet. Quite quaffable. Transparent amber body with a medium orange head that is relatively quickly dissipating. Weak lacing. Plenty of carbonated, prickly bubbles immediately hit the tongue. Sweet, brown sugary maltiness then comes through. Plum and raisin like a little bit later with some estery yeast flavors. A touch of roastiness comes through in the end. Mildly warming, but the ethanol isn’t overly noticeable. This is pretty tasty, but the overcarbonation just kind of muddles the experience.

PeterA (342) - EL SALVADOR - SEP 28, 2007
I could talk about the colors that I saw and what I smelled and what I tasted, but I’m sick of doing that. I enjoyed this beer, it reminded me why I enjoy Belgian style beers, and the alcohol level certainly isn’t a negative. The more of this I drank, the happier I got. What was nice, is that I really didn’t think I was drinking a terribly high alcohol beer. I certainly could feel the alcohol, but it was reasonably well balanced.

xnoxhatex (1305) - Grand Rapids/Chicago, Michigan, USA - SEP 27, 2007
750 from girlfriend for 23rd birthday. Dark brown with res tint andlarge creamy tan head. Aroma is spicy with dough, nutty, yeasty, toffee, pretty nice. Flavor is spice and medium sweet with some alc, orange and dark fruits, pretty great. Medium body and creamy. I enjoy this beer a lot.

Kalli (502) - Falun, SWEDEN - SEP 27, 2007
Sweetness in aroma reminiscent of brown sugar, yeast and a touch of hoppiness it seems. Nougaty flavour, sweet but a bit nutty. Aftertaste mostly extreme sweetness with some cellar. Much too sweet. Add the yeast and it starts to make more sense with something to balance the sweetness. A bit of orange and dark, even black, bread in the aroma. Fruitiness carries to the flavour and dominates it along with the sweetness. Still too sweet and lacks some edge.

DuffMan (10433) - the land of bitumen, beef & beer, Alberta, CANADA - SEP 25, 2007
Deep copper with an almond coloured head that demonstrates excellent retention and generous lace. Very rich english toffee aroma, mild suggestion of bourbon. Sweet toffee sugar palate, barley malt flavour (I don’t think that is what they use, but that is what comes to mind). A nice sipper, but not very complex when compared to some of the other Belgians I’ve had.

grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - SEP 24, 2007
Pretty brown color (unique in nearly lacking red hints), ample coarse head which eventually segregates into quite a few Don Ho’s. Strong, unapologetic aroma of rum-soaked raisins and cake, light banana. Simple, but appealing. Creamy, rummy banana in flavor, bitter dark malt, vanilla infused brown sugar. Sweet/tart bready finish, just-right ethanol warming, substantial but restrained bitterness. I liked this one.

Wakie (612) - Centreville, Virginia, USA - SEP 24, 2007
A fairly standard Americanized Belgian Strong. All the basics were there without any real complexity.

cgarvieuk (24496) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - SEP 23, 2007
UPDATED: APR 16, 2016 Bottle at Olivertwist , Stockholom ... Nice Hazy red ... almost brown ... Meaty malty ... little ovaltine nose ... fruity malty again little meatyness full rich deep flavour ...... Bottle at maxs.. Copper... Thin white lacing... Soft sweet toffee bready fruit.. Soft sweet toffee fruit.. Sweet toffee malts 3.8

YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - SEP 20, 2007
Chestnut body with a fizzy, thin orange head. Aroma held notes of yeast, hops, caramel, smoke, spice, toasted almonds, and ripe fruit. Medium body with ample carbonation. The flavor was slightly tart and spicy. Didn’t appeal to me.

3fourths (9347) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - SEP 18, 2007
330ml bottle. Dark garnet brown. Very full banana and clove nose, with nutmeg, granola, and floral, fruity banana scents. Rich and sticky, frothy and properly full, with sweet, sticky resinous burnt banana, some clove, some nutty, bready malts and a really nice, rich, fruity yeast. Also noticed some chocolate in there as well after eating some spicy food. Very good stuff.