RATINGS: 1692   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 32   EST. CALORIES: 282   ABV: 9.4%
With the developing interest in Belgian abbey ales and the monasteries that brew them, it’s time to remind the world that here in the U.S., we have a Monk of our own. Jazz icon Thelonious Monk is the inspiration for North Coast Brewing’s new Belgian-style abbey ale called, appropriately enough, Brother Thelonious. The beer is being released in conjunction with the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz (www.monkinstitute.org), and the brewery will make a contribution to the Institute for every case sold to support jazz education.
2013 vintage - 9.4% abv Like a Belgian “Dark Strong Ale”, the beer is rich and robust with an ABV of 9%. The package is a 750 ml bottle with a traditional cork and wire finish and features a label picturing the jazz master himself.

Ansset13 (127) - Wilmington, North Carolina, USA - OCT 6, 2007
Poured deep brownish red, with a small head. Nose is dark fruit with hints of chocolate and a touch of caramel. Nice medium body with flavors similar to the nose. A good beer but have had better.

BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - OCT 6, 2007
I split a bottle of this at the Palm Tavern in Milwaukee. I wasn’t extremely impressed with this beer, but it was OK. This beer poured brown with a bit of red, and with lots of carbonation. Aroma was a bit of chocolate with a lot of cherry. Flavor was of abundant sour cherries. The flavor seemed to me a bit over-exuberant, and reminded me of a big pile of rotting fruit (cherries in this case). Not entirely a bad thing, but hardly superlative either. Mouthfeel was good. Recommended, but not great.

bobaidan (530) - Southington, Connecticut, USA - OCT 5, 2007
Pours dark brown with little head. Aroma is primarily dried fruit (fig). Mouth feel is thick, but not syrupy. Flavor is sweet with a really nice roasted chocolate flavor and just a touch of tartness. Finishes a tad sticky, but still very yummy.

KAF (448) - Coralville, Iowa, USA - OCT 5, 2007
Brownish in color with a little head. Quite a complex beer. Brown sugar, dark fruit and a bit of caramel in aroma. Dark fruit and brown sugar in flavor with a hint of alcohol.

pamoja (57) - Rochester, New York, USA - OCT 4, 2007
Very good brown abby ale. very strong with aroma to go with a well poured head. one of the coolest bottles and names around. enjoy.

Marsiblursi (3076) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - OCT 4, 2007
(Bottle) Pours deep nut-ish brown to mahogany red. Malt and esters in aroma with tones of caramel nuts, plums, tobacco, light roasted grain, dark fruits, brown sugar and hints of chocolate covered bananas. Some glue like alcohol and subtle spices in the background. Light roasted, sweet and sweet fruit flavour with a good malt base of caramel. Very light tart and vinous acid like tones. Undertones of brown sugar, sweet liquorice, earth, raisins, plums, nuts, berries and some chocolate. Brown sugar, sweet liquorice and sticky caramel in the aftertaste. Medium to full sweetness. Ok round and lightly smooth but a bit too sticky mouthfeel with a well carbonated, medium body. A good example of US made Belgian strong ale, but not on our personal top 10.

riversideAK (6261) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - OCT 4, 2007
Auburn, dark copper colored with 1 finger thick beige head. Aroma of yeasty esters, alcohol, and brown/maple sugar. Slight wine like notes as well. Wow! Lots of alcohol. Yeast, clove, bitter fruits, a little roast, a little chocolate even. Lots going on here, but it is dominated by alcohol. Nice flavors, but it would be nice if the alcohol warmth was hidden a little. Would be a nice winter warmer, but not really an every day beer.

DYCSoccer17 (3706) - Woodland, California, USA - OCT 3, 2007
750 mL bottle that is ubiquitous here in northern California. I’m sure I have had this before, but I guess I haven’t rated it yet. Very raisin-like, vinous aroma with some sweet molasses/brown sugar notes, too. A little doughy, a little sweet. Quite quaffable. Transparent amber body with a medium orange head that is relatively quickly dissipating. Weak lacing. Plenty of carbonated, prickly bubbles immediately hit the tongue. Sweet, brown sugary maltiness then comes through. Plum and raisin like a little bit later with some estery yeast flavors. A touch of roastiness comes through in the end. Mildly warming, but the ethanol isn’t overly noticeable. This is pretty tasty, but the overcarbonation just kind of muddles the experience.

PeterA (342) - EL SALVADOR - SEP 28, 2007
I could talk about the colors that I saw and what I smelled and what I tasted, but I’m sick of doing that. I enjoyed this beer, it reminded me why I enjoy Belgian style beers, and the alcohol level certainly isn’t a negative. The more of this I drank, the happier I got. What was nice, is that I really didn’t think I was drinking a terribly high alcohol beer. I certainly could feel the alcohol, but it was reasonably well balanced.

xnoxhatex (1305) - Grand Rapids/Chicago, Michigan, USA - SEP 27, 2007
750 from girlfriend for 23rd birthday. Dark brown with res tint andlarge creamy tan head. Aroma is spicy with dough, nutty, yeasty, toffee, pretty nice. Flavor is spice and medium sweet with some alc, orange and dark fruits, pretty great. Medium body and creamy. I enjoy this beer a lot.