RATINGS: 1700   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 32   EST. CALORIES: 282   ABV: 9.4%
With the developing interest in Belgian abbey ales and the monasteries that brew them, it’s time to remind the world that here in the U.S., we have a Monk of our own. Jazz icon Thelonious Monk is the inspiration for North Coast Brewing’s new Belgian-style abbey ale called, appropriately enough, Brother Thelonious. The beer is being released in conjunction with the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz (www.monkinstitute.org), and the brewery will make a contribution to the Institute for every case sold to support jazz education.
2013 vintage - 9.4% abv Like a Belgian “Dark Strong Ale”, the beer is rich and robust with an ABV of 9%. The package is a 750 ml bottle with a traditional cork and wire finish and features a label picturing the jazz master himself.

SODAK14's rating

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SODAK14 (384) - Rapid City, South Dakota, USA - JUL 17, 2012
UPDATED: OCT 29, 2012 I think I’m in the my minority but I didn’t really care for this one despite my relatively high rating. A beautiful dark amber color pour and I was hoping for the best... The intial taste was above average but I really did not care for the kind of sour/yeasty after taste. Reminded me a little of an IPA which I’m not fond of and probably won’t turn down but won’t seek out. OK>>>I rerated this...much better than I rated earlier. I’ve tried it twice since my first pour and i have admit I was wrong...really, really good brew!

SG111 (2063) - New York, USA - DEC 8, 2017
UPDATED: DEC 8, 2017 Tap at Whole Foods. Pours clear copper. Tan head. Aroma is Belgian esters, cinnamon, plum, dark fruit. Flavor is cinnamon, fig, dark fruit, raisins. Actually pretty solid. Nice cinnamon presence.

ironcontra (493) - ATL, Georgia, USA - NOV 26, 2017
Rather sweet, caramel, honey, raisins, with some tartness in a green apple, alco very well hidden. love the name / label

NiklasT (135) - SWEDEN - NOV 16, 2017
Dark ruby red, with thin beige head. Aroma rich, dark dried fruit dominates. Taste has dark cherries, plums and some raisins. A slight yeastiness also comes through and it all ends in a well balance bitter sweetness. Very nice!

77ships (11381) - Antwerpen, BELGIUM - NOV 8, 2017
[Malmö 2017] Draft sample @ The Bishops Arms Savoy. Dark near clear amber, solid mocha head. Nose is BE figs, cloying with dark soap, cloves, bit thin. Tastes of soap, almost fish guts yeast, NL BE dark fruit profile, sugar,… Too soap, cloying a bit but not thick bodied. Body is touch thin, don’t really get the high score but also not really my thing.

voyageurmike (512) - Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 27, 2017
Poured into tulip glass from a bomber. Beautiful dark ruby red, full bodied. Dark fruit aroma, taste is more fig and caramel than raisin. Bittersweet finish is mighty fine.

nihtila (3957) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - SEP 25, 2017
Bottle from Whole Foods. Dark amber brown. Nose is dark fruits, toffee, wood, red fruits. Tastes toasted caramel, burnt sugar, red and dried fruits.

Ronritter (875) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - SEP 24, 2017
on tap dark copper pour off white head aroma and taste is spice and earthy kind of a vegetable finish

higgsbison (271) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 22, 2017
Perfectly balanced. Rich, robust and sweet. The Belgian yeast, the hops and the malts are in perfect harmony. Unbelievably delicious beer A great Belgian style Abbey ale, the best I've tried yet and it is brewed in California. Hell it's flat out one of the best beers I've ever had. Second tasting. Still quite enjoyed it but was not blown away by it like the first time. Strong alcohol flavor with notes of plum, prune, banana and raisins. Mellows and improves as it warms. In my opinion the strong alcohol flavor is a bit overpowering and out of balance with the other notes. No longer my favorite Belgium, As I have had almost two dozen new Belgiums since trying this for the first time, but it stands it's own against many of them Third tasting: a very fine beer but you must really let it warm up before it comes into its own Fourth tasting, my birthday 2017, yum ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

KevinReddirt (228) - Midland, Texas, USA - AUG 20, 2017
Sampling this from a 750 ml bottle acquired in Billings, Montana. Pouring into a Trappist glass it delivers an attractive, very dark amber body and a persistent brown-egg colored head. Alluring presentation. Lifting the glass to my nose I find cane sugar, ripe fig and raisin. My first taste does not equal the scent but it is still quite good. Yeast, malt, yellow plum and a hint of red licorice. Great mouthfeel, very full, chewy. I get a slight bitterness finishing. Another commendable domestic effort at a Belgian ale.

dorain (694) - Berlin, GERMANY - AUG 20, 2017
Vom Fass auf den Berliner Braufest 2016-09 getrunken. Noch ein Bier im belgischen Stil. Nicht schlecht, aber für so was brauch ich nicht "bis in die USA zu reisen". Viele Belgier können das besser. Aber das hier ist immer noch ein gutes Bier, aber leider nichts besonderes.