overall
RATINGS: 4011   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.1/5   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

The Old Rasputin brand image is a drawing of Rasputin with a phrase in Russian encircling it—A sincere friend is not born instantly.

alafito (334) - tijuana, MEXICO - JUL 12, 2006
Bottle at the Vine (San Diego). Pours pitch black with a med. Tan head. Aromas of Strong roasted coffe, dark chocolate and licorice. Flavor is Strong and Robust, Coffee, licorice, smoked malts and coconut oil. The finish was a tad sour, with a nice warming end. Overall its very good and i would recomened having it with a cigar or strong cheeses.

nctomatoman (13) - Raleigh, NC, North Carolina, USA - JUL 10, 2006
My neighbor GAVE me a case of this. Am I lucky or what? One of the best of its type, perfect for when I want to ponder my beer. Complex, deep, delicious stuff.

snowden719 (130) - Arizona, USA - JUL 10, 2006
Pours black with a light tan head. Flavor is big, with coffee dark chocalate and dark fruit. Flavor is similar, with a nice coffee chocolate taste and hitns of fruit. More carbonated than I would have expected. Bitterness is medium to low, as the beer is suprisingly sweet. Finish is super long, and very enjoyable. nice warmth from the alochol. Not overly dry, almost velvety mouthfeel.

FriarTuck (3) - Texas, USA - JUL 6, 2006 does not count
I strongly feel that this is one of the best beers that has ever touched my tongue. Dark and toasty, with a warmness imparted by the alchohol.

alaskaiscold (7) - Tennessee, USA - JUL 4, 2006 does not count
Good example of an imperial stout, but I don’t know that it’s as great as people go on about. Good solid blackness, with thick fluffy head. Smells are chocolate, roasted coffee, some licorice, a little coconut too. Taste is decent, nice roasted effect, chocolate again, a little burnt vanilla, good aftertaste too. I really enjoy the mouthfeel on this one. Very balanced with very little cloying. A little thin, but not too bad. Again, good imperial stout. I would buy it again and I could probably drink 2 or 3 in a single sitting.

burpfrank (299) - carpinteria, California, USA - JUL 3, 2006
This had a nice thick frothy head.Color was black.I held it up to a light and it didn’t come through.Aroma was a sour malt,but not very strong.The commercial description was good,except I didn’t find a "fruity nose".Heavy,malty,sour.This is a strong beer.I am not used to this.It finished a burnt charcoal taste.I still haven’t found the stouts to my liking,but this one comes closer.If your chest is lacking hair,this beer is for you!!

skoisirius (1909) - Earth, Washington, USA - JUL 2, 2006
12 oz bottle into a Snifter glass. Pours a thick black color with a very thin tan head that immediately moves to the rim of the glass. The aroma brings out a very coffee-like smell while being very alcoholic and fruitatious at the same time. You can tell just by the aroma what you’re getting yourself into. The flavor on this one is very strong and robust in all areas of coffee, bitter sweet dark chocolate, and alcohol. Quite roasty with medium carbonation. The bitter sweet chocolate dominates the beginning while moving into the finish the coffee really comes out and lingers in the mouth until the next sip. You can smell and taste the alcohol, but it’s not overpowering. Huge in flavor, very complex. Not quite as amazing at the Stone Russian Imperial, but definitely ranks up there with one of the best American beers out there right now.

jb (3348) - Rochester, New York, USA - JUL 1, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 7, 2006 This was one fine beer. Dark black with red notes and a tan head that kept reappearing. The palate is the best part of this, very satisfying mouthfeel and complexity of tastes. Nose of raspberries, chocolate and coffee. Tastes strongly of chocolate, with some alcohol and dark fruit. Subtle finish, not an overpowering one. As far as imperials go, Stone is still the best I’ve had, more complexity, but this one is the best beer I’ve ever had for the money.

Fonix7 (50) - Toledo, Ohio, USA - JUN 30, 2006
A black beverage; the smallest red dot when held up to the light. More caramel than coffee, if coffee at all. Full body, creamy, average carbonation, long lingering hoppy finish. Cannot believe it’s 9% ABV... untastable.

AlKHall (161) - West Hartford, Connecticut, USA - JUN 30, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 6, 2006 Dark Chocolate and Roast Coffee. As Black as my soul. Its tastes smokey (which is good) molassas and maltiness. Just enough alcholol to let you know its beer - well balanced