overall
RATINGS: 4191   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.1/5   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russias Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. Its a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

The Old Rasputin brand image is a drawing of Rasputin with a phrase in Russian encircling itA sincere friend is not born instantly.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
thoreaubred (42) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAR 26, 2006
This is a great stout in every way. My only complaint is that the high alcohol content makes the alcohol falvor a little too overpowering for my taste, drowning out the other flavors. A little less alcohol would make it a better balanced beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
kepano (269) - Los Angeles, California, USA - MAR 24, 2006
The pour produced an utterly black body with rusty brown highlights and a yellowish froth bubbling to the top. An expected but likeable appearance, both comforting yet slightly menacing. The nose is replete with dark bitter flavors of coffee and chocolate conjugated with sweet butter. Again, this beer performs as anticipated but the blend is indeed pleasant and balanced. Coffee and dark chocolate continue to dominate in the flavor with the added complexity of green vegetables emerging from the dense but smooth texture. A bitter cacao aftertaste lingers on the palate as my glass effortlessly empties.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
beeaman (16) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAR 24, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 25, 2006 Smells like dessert at the worlds finest 5-Star restaurant. Pours like fresh maple syrup w/ a thin but lasting head. As dark as a siberian night w/ a new moon. Deliciously sinful aroma that made me just slouch down in my chair. Tastes of dark chocolate, java beans, charred filet mignon, brown sugar, & anise. Smooth & inviting mouth feel w/ a comforting warming sensation going down the gullet; like a nap w/ a light comforter on a cool spring afternoon. I could feel the bubbles on the top of my mouth w/ every sip even after the head had faded; either this was my imagination or i just wasnt able to see them through the abyss like constitution of this stout. One of the best beers Ive ever had & a must for anyone a fan of stouts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
CTwriter (34) - USA - MAR 21, 2006
By itself, poured from a bottle, a little too strong. The caramel is nice, but the espresso and dark chocolate taste is actually too harsh for me. Maybe would have been better with dessert. The 8.9% ABV kicked me kind of hard.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bfeldmann (1050) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - MAR 21, 2006
"WOW WOW WOW this was great. Pour black i mean no red edges at all. Aroma was of roasted malts coffee, but yet sweet with a hop finish. Amazing i think i liked this more then the stones"

thebirdshow (27) - Burlington, North Carolina, USA - MAR 20, 2006
This beer was dark brown in color and poured a slight head. I could smell a rich combination of malt, coffee, and chocolate. Smooth full flavor of coffee and malt. A touch of a bitter finish, yet not overpowering. This was an excellent stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Quixote18 (236) - Johnson City, Tennessee, USA - MAR 17, 2006
Poured from bottle into english pint glass. It was dark brown (almost black) and had a light brown head with good retention. Aroma smelled first of blackstrap molasses and deeply roasted malts. I left it alone for 10 minutes, and when I returned I found that the black licorice fairy had paid me a visit! Not being a fan of black licorice, I was glad to find that it wasnt as notable in the flavor. This was a full-out malty assault but had enough of the northwestern vine to balance it out. I noted some alcohol warming in the finish, but not enough to be abrasive.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Tanker12 (173) - USA - MAR 16, 2006
pours nicly out of the bottle with a lingering head. has a plesant coffee aroma. flavor is malt coffee and smoke. Great beer overall but think i will let my next ones in the pack warm a lil more.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
decaturstevo (6005) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - MAR 14, 2006
A beer that stayed in the frig longer than it should have. No damage to the brew, but I feel I cheated myself out of the opportunity to try this beer earlier. It should come with a disclaimer saying dont taste this beer until it is above 50*F. A hard beer for me to describe. It has an excellent aroma and flavor as it warms. Cocoa-coffee are clear but other flavors and aromas are there. My palate and mind say I could drink this beer everyday, but my liver says try it and Ill kill you.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
sersdf (1020) - chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 13, 2006
UPDATED: APR 28, 2007 somewhat empty aroma, and kinda lacking in the coffee/chocolate/smoky direction ive come to expect from the style. flavor is a very good, but i dont think it compares to, say, the storm king or even the lion stout. speaking of the lion stout, this one feels a little thing and the flavor disappears a little quickly, leaving a sticky alcohol behind. i admit the near-refridgerator temperature is inappropriate, but im going to lay down a couple of these; seem like aging could do them well. rerate: im sick of this crap RIS getting credit on this site. its astringent and chalky as balls and has no coffee/chocolate/vanilla.