overall
RATINGS: 4229   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.1/5   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

The Old Rasputin brand image is a drawing of Rasputin with a phrase in Russian encircling it—A sincere friend is not born instantly.

CTwriter (34) - USA - MAR 21, 2006
By itself, poured from a bottle, a little too strong. The caramel is nice, but the espresso and dark chocolate taste is actually too harsh for me. Maybe would have been better with dessert. The 8.9% ABV kicked me kind of hard.

bfeldmann (1050) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - MAR 21, 2006
"WOW WOW WOW this was great. Pour black i mean no red edges at all. Aroma was of roasted malts coffee, but yet sweet with a hop finish. Amazing i think i liked this more then the stones"

thebirdshow (27) - Burlington, North Carolina, USA - MAR 20, 2006
This beer was dark brown in color and poured a slight head. I could smell a rich combination of malt, coffee, and chocolate. Smooth full flavor of coffee and malt. A touch of a bitter finish, yet not overpowering. This was an excellent stout.

Quixote18 (236) - Johnson City, Tennessee, USA - MAR 17, 2006
Poured from bottle into english pint glass. It was dark brown (almost black) and had a light brown head with good retention. Aroma smelled first of blackstrap molasses and deeply roasted malts. I left it alone for 10 minutes, and when I returned I found that the black licorice fairy had paid me a visit! Not being a fan of black licorice, I was glad to find that it wasn’t as notable in the flavor. This was a full-out malty assault but had enough of the northwestern vine to balance it out. I noted some alcohol warming in the finish, but not enough to be abrasive.

Tanker12 (173) - USA - MAR 16, 2006
pours nicly out of the bottle with a lingering head. has a plesant coffee aroma. flavor is malt coffee and smoke. Great beer overall but think i will let my next ones in the pack warm a lil more.

decaturstevo (6244) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - MAR 14, 2006
A beer that stayed in the frig longer than it should have. No damage to the brew, but I feel I cheated myself out of the opportunity to try this beer earlier. It should come with a disclaimer saying don’t taste this beer until it is above 50*F. A hard beer for me to describe. It has an excellent aroma and flavor as it warms. Cocoa-coffee are clear but other flavors and aromas are there. My palate and mind say I could drink this beer everyday, but my liver says try it and I’ll kill you.

sersdf (1020) - chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 13, 2006
UPDATED: APR 28, 2007 somewhat empty aroma, and kinda lacking in the coffee/chocolate/smoky direction i’ve come to expect from the style. flavor is a very good, but i don’t think it compares to, say, the storm king or even the lion stout. speaking of the lion stout, this one feels a little thing and the flavor disappears a little quickly, leaving a sticky alcohol behind. i admit the near-refridgerator temperature is inappropriate, but i’m going to lay down a couple of these; seem like aging could do them well. rerate: i’m sick of this crap RIS getting credit on this site. it’s astringent and chalky as balls and has no coffee/chocolate/vanilla.

RooftopRogue (423) - Champaign, Illinois, USA - MAR 11, 2006
) This beer has an aroma infused with the fragrances of malt, oak, anise, and smoke. It is a black solution with a thick brown head and great lacing. This rich smooth beer offers the palate a plethora of flavors: malt, chocolate, anise, a nutty/biscuit flavor, and smoke. The smoke taste appears briefly in the finish and then later in the aftertaste. A nutty chocolate/coffee taste follows the brief intro of smoke in the finish.

Habanero (4676) - Tranbjerg, DENMARK, DENMARK - MAR 11, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 7, 2010 Bottle, 12 fl Oz: Pours with a dark brown/ black colour and a little tan head. Nice lacing on the glass. It has a very Fine aroma of roasted malt and dried fruit. The flavour is of coffee and dark chocolate. Full bodied with a oily texture. Strong bitter finish. I like this rather heavy beer and it’s therefore highly recommended.

JB99 (27) - Dallas, Texas, USA - MAR 10, 2006
A nice toffee aroma with a slight hop to the nose. A little to much alcohol taste for myself but with that much I guess thats waht you get. Not my favorite Imperial Stout.