overall
RATINGS: 4229   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.1/5   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

The Old Rasputin brand image is a drawing of Rasputin with a phrase in Russian encircling it—A sincere friend is not born instantly.

Quiver (140) - Augusta, Georgia, USA - DEC 19, 2005
A beautiful beer. Nice tan frothy head.. almost creamy. Black as night. Good lacing. Taste started off a lillte too coffee and smokey for my taste. But quickly smoothed out and finished quite nicely

CaptKirk (175) - Hephzibah, Georgia, USA - DEC 18, 2005
Had this one in the bottle out of the frig. Let it stand for a few minutes before drinking it. Warm sweet coffee and chocolate aroma. Poured dark and rich with a tan head. First sip was sweet and velvety that coated the tongue and woke the senses. I love a good stout and this is one of the best. No wonder it was so highly rated. If you like a stout, you owe it to yourself to try it

NNCRed (17) - Idaho, USA - DEC 15, 2005
12oz bottle. Very dark with ringed tan head. Smells and tastes of chocolate and espresso. Coats the entire mouth. Very nice.

drainey (234) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 14, 2005
Rich, fruity, chocolatey taste. Very smooth in the mouth with a pleasant hoppy alcohol finish. Very nice.

tjthresh (1873) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - DEC 12, 2005
12 ounce bottle courtesy of csbosox. Pours and inky opaque black with a brown head that disapates to a ring. Molasses, smoke, bitter dark chocolate, dark roast coffee, chewing tobacco, spicey hops and alcohol in the nose. Prunes, very bitter, chocolate grit. Light smoke. Rather thin. Higher carbonation for the style. Slick and oily. Very good.

ChillCoat (1029) - Concord, California, USA - DEC 10, 2005
Bottled. I can’t believe I’ve rated over 300 beers and somehow never entered old raspy! This one poured black with a light tan head; three fingers worth but I poured it from about 6 inches above the glass. The aroma is hard to describe ’cause at this point it’s become one of things I’ve come to associate with this beer. If I were to smell another beer with these same aromas I’d simply write "smells like Old Rasputin". I’d guess I’ll settle on ’dusty chocolate’ as the best descriptor. Thick mouth feel that coats and soothes all the way down. Very chocolaty in flavor but it has tons of fruitiness as well. Dark fruits, but also berries and some citrus. Smoke, coffee, caramel and molasses notes as well. It is what it is and it is... great.

Hannibal88 (9) - USA - DEC 10, 2005 does not count
A strong brew, with a lot of (pleasant) bitterness. This thing has a really complex flavor, which might seem a bit overpowering but really is good.

Brigadier (3680) - Chagrin Falls, Ohio, USA - DEC 10, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 18, 2006 Re-rate : 12 oz bottle

I have finally gotten around to reviewing this after two or more 4-packs. Hard to believe I haven’t rated it properly but there you go. Poured dark black with a thin tan head. Not the thickest imperial stout (like Expedition) but not watery either. Smells of cherries, chocolates, coffee and subtle hops come out as it sits. Finally, after ten minutes of clearing my biases, I gave it a taste. The first thing to hit my tastebuds was a rich cocoa with fairly active carbonation. The fruity hops went well with the cherry, caramel, expresso and raisin flavors that soon followed. The aftertaste floats around the mouth. It fades away slowly but not before a seeming eternity has passed. Let this one warm up before you try it as it seems best close to room temperature. Not only is it an excellent Top 50 beer but very accesible and relatively cheap. If you haven’t had it yet, you owe it to yourself to buy a 4-pack.

monty (39) - Dallas, Texas, USA - DEC 9, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 3, 2006 North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout. 10 December 2005. Bottle (1 yr in the cellar). My local retailer inexplicably had this on sale for $22 a case last Christmas (shoulda bought two cases), and it disappeared quickly while my family was around for the holidays. I figured I’d do it justice and give it a year in the bottle before I rated it (though it was *just fine* last yr). Well, it’s still fine. Loads of raisins, plums, coffee and cocoa in the aroma. This is followed up w/ cherries and chocolate flavors, w/ a pronounced but not overbearing coffee bitterness. I think there’s some fig in there, too. And you can only feel the 9%, not taste it. This is well done all the way around. Outstanding. If only my homebrewed clone turns out anywhere near this...

beerbastard (844) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - DEC 9, 2005
Most of the time I find this style a little too malty and sweet , only to be balanced with the higher alcohol. However the northwest Hops really does it for me. Old Rasp is very complex. A lot of coffee and chocolate flavors. Smooth and full. This is one of those beers that I’m lucky enough to get all the time.