overall
RATINGS: 4210   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.1/5   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russias Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. Its a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

The Old Rasputin brand image is a drawing of Rasputin with a phrase in Russian encircling itA sincere friend is not born instantly.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
LoveCaissa (873) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUL 9, 2005
Impressive appearance. Fine aroma with salt and chocolate. Flavour is roasted and heavy with chocolate and coffee ending in a long, dry bitter finish.

ElGaucho (2399) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - JUL 6, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 18, 2006 9-18-06 re-rate: Im not going to change my rating, but the bottle Im having right now doesnt seem deserving of a perfect score. It is more one-dimensionally dark chocolate without the flowery hop bouquet and finish. Could be the age of the bottle, which of which I cant comment because North Coast doesnt do any freshness dating. Ive probably had it in my fridge for 4 months or so. Ar 8, Ap 4, Fl 8, Pal 5, Ov 17 (4.2). 7-6-05: Before I even looked at the description, I was thinking "fruity nose". Truly a wonderful bouquet, complete with hops and super ropes. Fully opaque body. Large brown head, which was especially pronounced after I transfered the beer from a shaker glass to a tulip in keeping with the appropriate glassware for the style. Lasting head; very impressive. Excellent, tree ring lace. The first time I had this was when I offered it at one of my early beer tastings. I thought it was overrated at the time, but I know now that I simply didnt understand it. 9% ABV is hidden well. It really is the perfect ABV. Interestingly, when I was in Beverages and More in Redwood City, I saw a scruffy, vagrant looking guy scuffle in and walk out with a 4-pack of Old Rasputin. That blew me away. All I ever see in Minnesota is those guys picking up Bud, Mich Golden Draft or MGD. Flavor is near to actual perfection; some alcohol burn, some hop, some chocolate and even a touch of those super ropes I like so much! This stuff is really awesome! I really cant imagine a better imperial stout. It is clearly deserving of only my 4th ever perfect score. A little suprising it took me so long to procure the 2nd most accesible beer in the Ratebeer Top 50.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
fluids (364) - Massachusetts, USA - JUL 3, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 18, 2005 So dark you cannot see through. Brown head dissapears quickly. Thi s has to be one of the darkest stouts I have had as far as color. Its about as lasting as Rasputins lust for life. A long slightly bitter rich taste. Starts with chocolate then goes coffee (thats when the bitterness kicks in) then it tails off. Then you want more.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Likerighteous (120) - Pflugerville, Texas, USA - JUL 3, 2005
Now heres a sout worth shouting about. Grapevine Market 4-pack. Poured like midnight with great big double latte mocha colored head. A delight to the nostrils promising heft and sustenance. Best stout to cross these two lips. Attractive packaging. Reasonable ransom. Worthy tribute to a humble man of God.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
UNCCTF (572) - Cary, North Carolina, USA - JUL 2, 2005
Bottled. This is a very complex brew - fruit, chocolate, coffee are the three things that came at me the most. Very warm feeling as it goes down. Not as good as Stones imp. stout, but this is damn close.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerandrugby (210) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JUL 1, 2005
bottle. Mmmm, very tasty Imperial stout, although I still like Yeti and Goose Island bourbon a little better. rich dark black color with a thinish head. Good full palate. wonderful aroma, flavor profile of christmas fruits, raisins, plums, and all that, slight spice, caramel, chocolate, coffee, pretty good but there are better ISs out there.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jefcon (1736) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - JUN 28, 2005
Amazing aromas of warm chocolate, ginger, clove, coriander, orange and cherry. Nearly impenatrable and brown in the glass with a ring of light brown foam. Tasting reveals a soft chocolate with well-developed chicory, spice, and fireplace notes. There is fruit here, too, with jellied orange the most prominent. Palate is very good for an imperial stout. The chocolate and spices linger. Alcohol is well-hidden, and this is one of my new favorites.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beeryum (652) - Norcross, Georgia, USA - JUN 27, 2005
Bottle. Opaque black pour. Big roasted malty aromas, full of chocolate and coffee. Thick mouthfeel, and flavor (when not drunk ice cold) is full of roasted malts, chocolate (maybe unsweet choc), coffee, and dark fruit - maybe plum. Finished with a decent bitter bite.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Nejhleader (1525) - Lemoyne, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 27, 2005
poured out of the bottle. Nice frothy head. very dark. has a kind of chocolate taste maybe a little caramel. pretty good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jackson220 (136) - new lenox, Illinois, USA - JUN 26, 2005
Pours a black colour with a small, off-white and very lacey head. First aroma impressions are molasses, coffee and fruitiness. The first sips are pretty bitter and coffeish. After a few swallows you can actually get some caramel, raspberries and plum. I wouldnt recommend drinking this beer ice cold. If youve been storing it in the fridge, let it sit out and warm up a bit. This beer turned out to be more complex than initial tastes indicated. I like it a lot.