overall
RATINGS: 4233   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.1/5   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Produced in the tradition of 18th Century English brewers who supplied the court of Russia’s Catherine the Great, Old Rasputin seems to develop a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big complex flavors and a warming finish.

The Old Rasputin brand image is a drawing of Rasputin with a phrase in Russian encircling it—A sincere friend is not born instantly.

rlgk (18847) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - OCT 3, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 11, 2005 Black. Great balanced aroma with nuts, malt, toffee and hops. Flavor is nutty and malty with a vinous feeling. Vanilla and cream notes. Also hoppy and with a nice bitterness in the finish. Defineatly one of the best beers I have tried.

SkyinBrian (430) - Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 2, 2004
served ice cold at the u of c pub. this is my first imperial stout and it was very tasty. smells very fruity. roasty, chocolate, coffee, warming of alcohol. dry finish. very nice the 10.5 ounces were very satisfying.

NobleSquirrel (3438) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 2, 2004
On tap 10/2/4. To be honest, this is the first beer that made me understand why one should drink darker beers at warmer temperatures. When it’s cold, there is a weird hairspray-type taste between the beginning and the finish taht I attribute to the alcohol. At any rate, once it was warmed to a reasonable temperature, it was quite interesting. So here goes: Black as night, with a dark, dark head. Looks like dirty oil. Smell is surprisingly floral in character, incredibly pleasant, though not hinting at what’s to come in the taste. As it warmed, the aroma leaned toward chocolate. When it enters your mouth, not quite as thick as you’d think, but still quite substantial. Tastes of some fruitiness, followed by some coffee, and, ultimately, very rich chocolate. As you near the end, the taste lends itself in the direction of star anise. A sensational beer, a pleasure to sample.

IMtheOptimator (1167) - Brookfield, Connecticut, USA - OCT 2, 2004
Pours very dark with a thin brown head that sits on top of the beer. The aroma is very refreshing, with a strangely light, fruity character--very different than what one would expect from this style. Unfortunately, then we come to the taste. I couldn’t exactly tell what I was supposed to detect besides alcohol. The flavor burned with a bitter sourness that came off from something you’d clean part of your house with rather than drink. I had the sad duty of doing a drainpour after finishing about half of it, well after my stomach had started becoming nauseated. There was no sweetness and no "layers" that I could detect. I’ve had other stouts that were far more complex than this and where the alcohol was hidden much more skillfully. What happened here? And why is this rated so highly? Did I just merely pick up a bad bottle? I must admit that I’m very disheartened over this. Not since Guinness Draught have I found myself this far in disagreement with the ratebeer community.

Mephistefales (47) - USA - OCT 2, 2004
Absolutely on of my favorites! Not a gimmick stout -- just damn good. Strong, dark, complex, lasting flavor -- all the qualities I look for in a stout. They could change the name to "Gold Standard" but that wouldn’t portray the sinister essence of a good stout as well as its current title.

arhythmt (69) - Alabama, USA - SEP 28, 2004
Every time I have one of these beers, I regret it about halfway through. Brown head and body, incredibly rich, potent alcohol flavor. Tasty but it becomes a bit much rather quickly.

badnewsbeers (2312) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - SEP 27, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 29, 2006 very rich...great imperial stout; very strong in nature with dark chocolate and coffee flavors...a definite burnt after-taste flavor, and quite a belly warmer; i think i will have another helping

Loddeer (171) - USA - SEP 25, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 15, 2004 No doubt, a great Imperial Stoudt. Very chocolately, and packs a nice flavorful punch. The after taste is very intense in a positive way. Enoyable strong brew.

phiconners (151) - Massachusetts, USA - SEP 24, 2004
Pours a nice color, flavor was more mild than I expected. A very nice beer, but I’ve had better imperial stouts for the money.

piwodevo (53) - chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 22, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 21, 2004 Bottle. It pours dark brown, almost black with a hint of red coloration in the bright light and a thick dark tan head. Extremely rich roasted malt and alcohol aromatics. Thick roasted malts, burnt chocolate, coffee flavors penetrate deeply on the palate. Creamy and rich mouthfeel. A malty & robust stout, well balanced. Complex and complete. An excellent Imperial.