overall
RATINGS: 2151   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.’s commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. It’s brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so it’s a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coast’s Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2013 vintage: 11.9%
2014 vintage: 11.8%
2015 vintage: 11.9%

rederic (3344) - montréal, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 21, 2006
2005 bottle, hazy deep mahogany hue, with atan-colored head, but falls quickly, nice malty alcoholic nose, with some pruney, raisiny, plumy notes, nutty accent, hint of brandy, with a toffeeish and caramel aroma follows through on a full-bodied palate with a smooth malty character, with a velvety fruity accent of candied raisins, plums, with caramelized malt, hint of crème brulée and rum leading towards a warming butterscotch finish.

bager (2120) - Copenhagen N, DENMARK - JUN 20, 2006
Bottle at Plan B. Dark amber coloured with almost no head. Sweet and roasted. Malty with notes of dark fruits.

GarrettB (1656) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 19, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 3, 2007 After reading the reviews for this dark and inhospitable ale, I’m almost certain I had a spoiled bottle. Everyone’s raving about well balanced sweetness, roastiness and the overall superb quality of the beer. My experience was apparently much narrower, obscuring the verisimilar personality within that humble little bottle. The Old Stock Ale was a passive, pomegranate red beneath a temporal sandy colored head. From this came an abyss of aromas, whose parts included chopped walnuts, figs and brown sugars, along with the more obvious roasted malts. But to say this smell was deep would be doing it a dishonor. I’ve never smelled something quite so dense, deep and dark before. It was a congested pit of pressured flavor within my olfactory – a sensation I hardly expected, even from a putatively shaded beer. But the taste was less sensational, and more painful. It began with a grand explosion of deep sweetness, aggrandized mostly by brown sugar. Then it took a plummet into an eye cringing morass of alcohol and relentlessly assaulted my senses for nigh six seconds afterwards. It was a terrible feeling having a semi-permanent clod of alcohol stuck to my tongue after each and every sip. I read the commercial description and they discuss the necessity of aging, which I’m willing to try and then re-gauge the Old Stock Ale. It’s not that I objurgate to the overwhelming praise in these reviews, only that I must fairly evaluate my experience, which was certainly a negative one. Second review pending.

pintocb (654) - Hoon, Georgia, USA - JUN 18, 2006
Very big beer. On tap at the brickstore. Very malty with hints of oak and raisins. Some slight hints of coffee or chocolate. Strong finish and lots of alcohol.

POD (198) - USA - JUN 14, 2006
2005 12 oz bottle poured into glass dark amber with quickly dispersing head. Heavy raiseny aftertaste and noticiable high alcohol content. This one made my liver quiver. I can only recommnend this ale for real men.

bhensonb (15744) - Woodland, California, USA - JUN 7, 2006
2005 bottle. Deep reddish amber color. Little head. Something of a cooked raisin aroma. And malt. A dark malt (not chocolate) flavor. Perhaps a bit plummy. There is sugar. Not so much as Lagunitas Brown Shugga, but more sweet than bitter. However, the hops are there, and they come out in the finish. It makes a strong statement. The alcohol becomes noticeable after a few minutes. Definitely not a session ale. Do not drink this and drive.

User37895 (3085) - - JUN 7, 2006
Poured an amber brown color with a thin but respectable (for the style) head initially. Lacing was almost nil and the head wasn’t long-lived. Aroma was sweet whiskey, some resinous hops, raisins. Flavor was much of the same, although the hops became stronger than they were in the aroma. Mouthfeel was strongly carbonated for the style with a somewhat thin body. Pretty on par for a solid barleywine, except for the mouthfeel.

Gachupines (1252) - USA - JUN 6, 2006
2004 bottle. Brown color with a decent head which disappeared quickly. Taste was alcohol sweet with some malt. Some subtlety but overwhelmed by the alcohol sweetness. Not the beer I remember. Overall, a little too sweet and strong which surprised me because I remember like this beer more than I am now. I’ll have to rate a fresh bottle to see if it just doesn’t age well to my palate. I know beer is supposed to mellow with age, but I don’t remember it being this one sided when I had it fresh.

bgburdman9 (861) - columbus, Ohio, USA - JUN 3, 2006
2005 bottle. poured a clear brownish red color with an average head. Aroma of carmelly malts and alcohol not much hops. Flavor was alcohol with a little alcohol on top on alcohol maybe a little sweet maltiness. I usually rate beers that have a high alcohol % higher just because they are stronger, but I am just not getting much flavor at all out of this one. Maybe with a few more years of age this would mellow but i dont know. Im kinda dissapointed.

IrishBoy (4233) - Bakersfield, California, USA - JUN 2, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 29, 2007 2006 Vintage Transparent mahogony body with almost no tan head, Malty, caramelly, raisiny nose, and caramelly, malty, fruity flavor along with some alcohol taste and finish. Pleasantly warming!