overall
RATINGS: 2173   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.’s commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. It’s brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so it’s a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coast’s Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2013 vintage: 11.9%
2014 vintage: 11.8%
2015 vintage: 11.9%

RAYBOY01 (2011) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 28, 2005
My buddy Scott served this to me as a thank you for fixing his screwed-up woodwork. I made out like a bandit...The first thing I told him was, "This tastes like a floor-malted Maris-Otter Malt." He said, "You are an idiot!" I think it’s safe to say that we did not have a meeting of the minds.....

BeerTurd (1) - USA - APR 28, 2005 does not count
This is one kick a@# beer Wee Wee Woop! Hells yeah, this is full of rum and friuty flavors. My new session beer!

Bumhoolery (1) - USA - APR 27, 2005 does not count
2003 ed. Very pleasant aroma, deep reddish tint, but I just didn’t dig this. Not very hoppy, sweet and nutty, but the flavor doesn’t come through too strongly through all the alcohol. Not bad, but not worth the price.

JensenTaster (1719) - DENMARK - APR 25, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 24, 2005 (on bottle 2004 edit.) On the good side, this beer proves that I still have ground to cover in turms of tastes. This one was too hefty for me, way overmuch. Mahogony color and a small, lasting beige head. Hoppy , very; nose, with notes of wallnuts, earth, chocolate and alcohol- A very powerfull, allmost cognac-ish alcoholic a bit too high carbonation. Finish is lightly burning and with impressions of calvados(me don´t like calvados), wood and chocolates. Way to big and alcohol-flavoured -filled beer for me.

ThomasE (5174) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - APR 23, 2005
Dark reddish colour with a small light brown head. Sweet malty aroma with some oak and plum, clear alcohol notes. Nice flavor with a good balance between the fruity sweetness and the alcohol. Smooth mouthfeel.

1FastSTi (3360) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - APR 20, 2005
UPDATED: APR 9, 2009 Thanks JCapriotti for this one. Vintage 2001. Aroma has sour red grapes, rhubarb, and fermented caramel and butterscotch undertones. Hint of cognac-ness to it. I wish it was stronger in aroma. Very light. Murky mahogany color. Thin non-existent head. Malty and oaken flavor, toasted malts, black raisins, Bing cherries. I don’t notice the alcohol at all, which is nice, given it’s 11.4%. Flavor is nice given this is supposed to be a moderate % barley wine. Damn, I could use a cigar right now. If it weren’t 50 degrees out... Palate leave a sweetness but it goes down smoothly. Well, I broke down after the rating and busted out a Hemingway Short Story to go along with this beer. It matches VERY nicely. 8,4,8,4,16=4.0
2003 sampled in 2009. Pours to a really dark garnet body with a thin ring off-beige head. The body looks viscous with a slow carbonation. The aroma is really caramelized toffee and nougat. Ferraro Rocher candies. Rich complexity. The flavor is a really rich caramelized toffee. Lingering aged hops (no flaws). Notes of cashew brittle and molasses. The palate is rich and coating but doesn’t get overly stick and has a nice "chewy" texture. Absolutely amazing!

IMtheOptimator (1170) - Brookfield, Connecticut, USA - APR 16, 2005
Sampled at Brewtopia 2005. Poured a hazy amber with a creamy off-white head. Sweet malty aroma, with touches of hazelnut. Taste is sweet malt with a slight alcohol twinge, with a nutty character in the finish. Thick syrupy body. Nice barley wine.

jackamackson (127) - USA - APR 16, 2005
2003 bottle-2 years old then. Definietly mellowed out over time. Pours a dark dark red, with a tan head which all but disappears. caramel, alcohol aroma. taste is a caramel malt background, pretty dry though. alcohol in the finish, but barely any hops. maybe its because I just drank a rogue IIPA, but I cant really taste the hops in here. nonetheless, a nice smooth mouthfeel.. dry, and a very tasty barleywine.

PuckLSHS (101) - USA - APR 15, 2005
Excellent Ale. Very high alcohol content so it leaves you feeling very warm inside. Smells like caramel, malts and butterscotch. I really enjoyed this selection of Barleywine. Will age quite nicely.

wnhay (722) - Princeton, New Jersey, USA - APR 14, 2005
Sampled in a 12 ounce bottle, I am not sure which year it is from. Pours a red amber with an off white head. Similar appearance to the Old Numbskull. Smells like caramel, malts, candy apple and butterscotch. Taste has all of those qualities plus white wine. It is more malty then it is hoppy. Certainly a nice Barley Wine.