overall
RATINGS: 2144   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.’s commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. It’s brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so it’s a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coast’s Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2013 vintage: 11.9%
2014 vintage: 11.8%
2015 vintage: 11.9%

IMtheOptimator (1170) - Brookfield, Connecticut, USA - APR 16, 2005
Sampled at Brewtopia 2005. Poured a hazy amber with a creamy off-white head. Sweet malty aroma, with touches of hazelnut. Taste is sweet malt with a slight alcohol twinge, with a nutty character in the finish. Thick syrupy body. Nice barley wine.

jackamackson (127) - USA - APR 16, 2005
2003 bottle-2 years old then. Definietly mellowed out over time. Pours a dark dark red, with a tan head which all but disappears. caramel, alcohol aroma. taste is a caramel malt background, pretty dry though. alcohol in the finish, but barely any hops. maybe its because I just drank a rogue IIPA, but I cant really taste the hops in here. nonetheless, a nice smooth mouthfeel.. dry, and a very tasty barleywine.

PuckLSHS (101) - USA - APR 15, 2005
Excellent Ale. Very high alcohol content so it leaves you feeling very warm inside. Smells like caramel, malts and butterscotch. I really enjoyed this selection of Barleywine. Will age quite nicely.

wnhay (722) - Princeton, New Jersey, USA - APR 14, 2005
Sampled in a 12 ounce bottle, I am not sure which year it is from. Pours a red amber with an off white head. Similar appearance to the Old Numbskull. Smells like caramel, malts, candy apple and butterscotch. Taste has all of those qualities plus white wine. It is more malty then it is hoppy. Certainly a nice Barley Wine.

JK (6203) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - APR 11, 2005
Outstanding aroma. Calvados, light hops, white wine. Red. The beer is highly carbonated, and there is a large head that is gone in seconds. Strange flavor. Very dry for a barleywine. There is some underlying sweetness, dirt, some hops, and lots of bread. It seemed like something was off with this 2003 bottle, but I purchased it at a fine store, and stored in a cool basement for a few months; and the cap was on tightly, so I don’t know what went wrong. Heavy and a serious alcohol kick. I will try a fresher bottle, but even with some flaws it is a fine beer.

IndianaRed (4794) - Boise, Idaho, USA - APR 2, 2005
Bottle pours a dark cloudy caramel amber with a thick dense light tan head. Terrific smells of caramel toffee, butterscotch, apples and alcohol. Flavor is sharp, green even. Woody and earthy. Quite strong alcohol taste. So much that it puts me off a bit. Malty and not much hops. A finish of sediment or unfiltered. I may get a couple and cellar them for a while and compare notes then.

Arayaga2 (2201) - portland, Oregon, USA - APR 1, 2005
UPDATED: APR 4, 2007 Reddish brown with smallish head. Tastes like malt and cherries, and little else. I can’t really taste the hops, but I can definitely feel the alcohol. $3/12oz

Mads Langtved (2243) - Copenhagen K, DENMARK - MAR 30, 2005
Red. No head. Slightly roasted. Loads of warming alcohol in the finish. Spicey flavour. A bit to earthy and dirty.

AlabastorJones (814) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAR 30, 2005
300! ! ! ! ~* 2004*~ thinly laced pink/tan head on a clear ruby body, tart cherry aroma, very sweet flavor, slightly limey, syrupy mouthfeel, dull hop burn on top of a strong alcohol finish, warming medicinal feeling in throat, tastey

ChrisPants (317) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAR 26, 2005
2004. "intended to be laid down:" whatever. Goldbeige head, dissipating in a minute. Body is rich ruby red--I want to mount it in a white-gold settingand wear this 12-oz gem on my thumb. Aroma is cherry, sweet rhubarb pie, and caramel malt. WOW! Alcohol cherry NyQuil flavor. This is peeling the fuzz off my tongue. Sweet, astringent. Does Listerine make a beer? Actually, the alcohol can be felt, but not tasted until the after-swallow nose-exhalation. Spicy and bold. I’m impressed that this hits over 11% abv, but I am definitely going to cellar the remaining three bottles for at least a year. I’ll update then.