overall
RATINGS: 2163   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.’s commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. It’s brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so it’s a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coast’s Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2013 vintage: 11.9%
2014 vintage: 11.8%
2015 vintage: 11.9%

Admiral (524) - Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 20, 2001
This, my friends, is obscenely good. It's like coming home; every other barleywine I've tried has had too much floral hop aroma, too much alcohol flavor, or such, but this is a marvelous balanced velvety phenomenon of a beer. I'm drinking one as I write this, just below room temperature and in a snifter. It's rosewood-colored, and lacks a head. Call this Tantric Beer; it must be consumed slowly and with intense focused mindfulness for it to work properly, and if it works properly you will attain satori after only one...

dins (266) - Texas, USA - NOV 7, 2001
Also vintage 2001. Most excellent. Lots of fruit notes, definite hops presence though very refined. Strong alcohol mouthfeel at 11.4%. Clean finish.

opiate (199) - Sandy, Utah, USA - OCT 1, 2001
One of the best beers I've had the pleasure of drinking in my life! This stuff is BIG! Big alcohol. Big flavor. Big nose. Big mouthfeel. Yet smooth and easy to drink in my opinion. I didn't find the alcohol to be overwhelming at all. Noticable for sure...but not overkill. A great beer for a cold winter night. I'm gonna get my hands on some so I can see how it ages. I tried it (about 6 times) at the GABF last weekend. :-)

Oakes (19576) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - SEP 3, 2001
Dark amber, with little head and a mild carbonation; Aroma like cognac, although a few of us were tasting this and arguing over which kind of spirit we were smelling. Smooth palate, as the malts wash over you. I've never had a beer this big with Maris Otter before. Warming, complex and delicious. A fireside ale.

bonvivant (169) - Smithfield, Virginia, USA - AUG 21, 2001
This beer is supposed to get better with age. I may never know-it's just too good!

Shadallion (534) - Sacramento, California, USA - FEB 25, 2001
A very enjoyable brew; thick, creamy, and very potent. A rich, luxurious beer that is best served cool, not cold.

Aubrey (3516) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - FEB 21, 2001
UPDATED: MAR 7, 2006 02: Nice mahogany color with a lasting head. Chocolate brownie nose. Strong alcohol feel and flavor... and olfactory sense. Hard liquor notes; alcohol is very evident and warming. Burnt brown sugar and bitter chocolate notes; just a hint of sweetness. Zingy hop bitterness. Rather intense; pretty good; will undoubtedly improve with age. 05: Thin head but it has a beautiful, deep ruby-redness. Malts have a really nice underlying sweetness reminiscent of Belgian candi sugar and toffee. Nips of smoke blend with the alcohol wonderfully. I really need to age some of this stuff.