overall
RATINGS: 2146   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.s commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. Its brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so its a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coasts Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2014 vintage: 11.8%
2015 vintage: 11.9%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
UnsofistaCat (241) - Garden City, Michigan, USA - AUG 17, 2006
2005 bottle: Let it be known Im not the biggest fan of the style. Enter the cloudy line where brandy and beer meet. Great looking beer, dark red, with tiny little bubbles underneath a tannish head. Simple smell of moldy brown sugar. Taste is very sweet and syrupy. Sugar dates, faint roasted malt, little bitter hops all topped off with a ton of brown sugar. Too sweet.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheKegergator (241) - California, USA - JAN 31, 2007
2006, 13.25% ABV For a new guy this beer almost put me on my ass. Also this was very drinkable for a 13% beer. The smell "nose" was ok, could be better. This was probably the third beer i tried since expanding my horizons and i just think it weakened all other beers. Yeah, I said it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Hoptagon (239) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - MAY 28, 2010
12oz. Bottle. 2008 Vintage. Just breaking into my first of two four packs from 2008 and it does not disappoint. Essentially a very traditional English style barleywine that is done exceptionally well. Pours a deep reddish mahogany color with almost no head. Huge malty nose with aromas of candied sugar, dark fruit, toffee and caramel. The flavor is malt dominated and has a bit of everything including rum cake, overly ripe plums, dates, caramel, brown sugar and a hint of raisin. Hops are subtle and used nicely to give just enough bitter kick to balance out all the malt flavors. Beautiful texture to this one that is slightly syrupy and viscous like every respectable barleywine should be. Finish is slightly fizzy and faintly warming. The 12.5% ABV is essentially imperceptible. Simply put Old Stock is the chronic and a must for every beer cellar.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - MAR 6, 2007
2002. This one held help nicely. Apple cider unfiiltered appearance. Caramel and fig with a slight hint of hop. Not as sweet as it once was- must have exhausted the yeast and begun to break down. This results in a dry and fairly clean finish. Glad I sat on it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beerheart (237) - Erie, Colorado, USA - AUG 19, 2007
I am growing to enjoy barley wines. This is one of the finer ones Ive tasted.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 17/20
unixweb (237) - Sherman, Texas, USA - MAR 21, 2002
Didnt know what to expect from this one at all. Aroma is sweet, almost like molasses. The head is very small, almost nonexistent in my glass, but the color is a nice deep amber. The taste is totally intense---sweet, almost cloying at times, with lots of malt and some hops too, but not as much as I expected. In that respect, this reminds me more of a concentrated Fullers Vintage rather than something like Old Foghorn. In other words, I wouldnt know this was a barley wine unless someone told me. I expected much more hops here, especially given the commercial description. I love the taste, but yet I dont. To be honest, it reminds me of cough syrup---the strong, alcohol-based kind. I dont mean that in a bad way, believe it or not. In this mixture, it works, at least to a large extent. There isnt any really hoppy bitterness in this except a brief, sharp moment before the alcohol takes over and numbs everything. It only becomes sweeter as it warms, and a bit more viscous. I like it...alot...or maybe its the alcohol talking from the bottle I just finished, but I definitely have not tasted anything quite like it before. An acquired taste, to be sure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
nstal (237) - Houston, Texas, USA - MAR 21, 2003
had this on tap, very nice. very very dark. great abv. malts definitely dominate this beer, but time to time that's good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Eberndt (235) - - SEP 29, 2013
2013 bottle poured. Very dark and murky color. Tasted a little syrupy with some sort of fruit undertone.

Dan269605 (235) - Rocky Hill, Connecticut, USA - NOV 16, 2013
Dark orange, almost crimson pour with a rocky two and a half finger beige head that dissipates rather quickly. Theres more carbonation that I was expecting, looks great in the glass. The aroma is a sweet malty bomb, big dark fruit esters, brown sugar, dark bread, sweet chocolate and of course alcohol booziness. On the tongue, I get big dark fruit flavors like fig, date, berries, cherry, caramel, slight citrus and chocolate in the back. I definitely taste and feel the alcohol, but its not in an unwelcome way. Good complexity and something quite different from a lot thats out there. North Coast are pioneers and one of the more under appreciated breweries out there.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
dhlesq (233) - Thousand Oaks, California, USA - OCT 11, 2005
2004: Aroma of cotton candy, toffee, fig, citrus. Appears ruby-brown in color with a thin brown head that dissipates very quickly. Flavor is malty sweet with fruit and bread notes, very bitter on the finish, and with an overpowering taste of alcohol; I should have heeded the label and laid it down for a longer period. Palate is thick, chewy, and appropriate. Overall, this beer is greater than the sum of its parts and worthy of any cellar.