overall
RATINGS: 2170   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.s commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. Its brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so its a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coasts Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2014 vintage: 11.8%
2015 vintage: 11.9%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 17/20
unixweb (237) - Sherman, Texas, USA - MAR 21, 2002
Didnt know what to expect from this one at all. Aroma is sweet, almost like molasses. The head is very small, almost nonexistent in my glass, but the color is a nice deep amber. The taste is totally intense---sweet, almost cloying at times, with lots of malt and some hops too, but not as much as I expected. In that respect, this reminds me more of a concentrated Fullers Vintage rather than something like Old Foghorn. In other words, I wouldnt know this was a barley wine unless someone told me. I expected much more hops here, especially given the commercial description. I love the taste, but yet I dont. To be honest, it reminds me of cough syrup---the strong, alcohol-based kind. I dont mean that in a bad way, believe it or not. In this mixture, it works, at least to a large extent. There isnt any really hoppy bitterness in this except a brief, sharp moment before the alcohol takes over and numbs everything. It only becomes sweeter as it warms, and a bit more viscous. I like it...alot...or maybe its the alcohol talking from the bottle I just finished, but I definitely have not tasted anything quite like it before. An acquired taste, to be sure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
nstal (237) - Houston, Texas, USA - MAR 21, 2003
had this on tap, very nice. very very dark. great abv. malts definitely dominate this beer, but time to time that's good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Eberndt (235) - - SEP 29, 2013
2013 bottle poured. Very dark and murky color. Tasted a little syrupy with some sort of fruit undertone.

Dan269605 (235) - Rocky Hill, Connecticut, USA - NOV 16, 2013
Dark orange, almost crimson pour with a rocky two and a half finger beige head that dissipates rather quickly. Theres more carbonation that I was expecting, looks great in the glass. The aroma is a sweet malty bomb, big dark fruit esters, brown sugar, dark bread, sweet chocolate and of course alcohol booziness. On the tongue, I get big dark fruit flavors like fig, date, berries, cherry, caramel, slight citrus and chocolate in the back. I definitely taste and feel the alcohol, but its not in an unwelcome way. Good complexity and something quite different from a lot thats out there. North Coast are pioneers and one of the more under appreciated breweries out there.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Pedro_Pinho (233) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - APR 22, 2016
Brown, slightly redish liquid with off white head. Aroma is mainly bread to me. Smooth, but rather anonimous taste. Not bad, but definitely overrated.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
dhlesq (233) - Thousand Oaks, California, USA - OCT 11, 2005
2004: Aroma of cotton candy, toffee, fig, citrus. Appears ruby-brown in color with a thin brown head that dissipates very quickly. Flavor is malty sweet with fruit and bread notes, very bitter on the finish, and with an overpowering taste of alcohol; I should have heeded the label and laid it down for a longer period. Palate is thick, chewy, and appropriate. Overall, this beer is greater than the sum of its parts and worthy of any cellar.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Spelt (232) - East Kingston, New Hampshire, USA - APR 28, 2012
This was the 2012 Otsuchi commemorative bomber. Aroma of molasses, apples, raisins and a hint of cotton candy. Gorgeous clear garnet beer with thin tan head. Medium to heavy sweetness. Strong but well placed alcohol. What a phenomenal collection of flavors in the finish. Raisin, molasses, leather, pipe tobacco, brown bread. Wow! The very full body is balanced by a fairly effervescent carbonation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
CarlJonas (231) - Linkping, SWEDEN - AUG 26, 2011
2010 vintage. Smells and looks a little like stale Coca Cola only browner. OK, that might be a bit harsh, theres also notes of liquorice and chocolate, in fact it reminds me a lot of a milk chocolate coated sweet liquorice candy that is somewhat of a personal favourite. The taste is wondrously complex registering all over the tongue. Compared to when I had it a year ago, Id say some of the alcohol sweetness has worn of leaving more space for the other flavours to shine through. And although I liked it a lot then I like it even more now.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
leeburg (230) - Juneau, Alaska, USA - JUN 30, 2009
2008 vintage, red-auburn with a moderate tan head. Love barleywine noses, and this was a nice potpourri. Like a fruit stand inside a flower shop, plus generous hops and barley. Flavors were thick, sticky sweet and strong, nicely balanced and followed the aroma profile. Alcohol was not as whelming as I thought 12.5% would be, and it didnt feel like it was destroying my enamel the way other barleywines sometimes do.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
JuanFlk80 (230) - SPAIN - DEC 28, 2016
UPDATED: DEC 29, 2016 Botella 33cl, Tercer Tiempo Tienda (Santander) Cerveza oscura con un fuerte olor y sabor alicorado, no es mi estilo lo cual no quiere decir que no sea una gran cerveza