overall
RATINGS: 2151   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.’s commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. It’s brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so it’s a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coast’s Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2013 vintage: 11.9%
2014 vintage: 11.8%
2015 vintage: 11.9%

DigitalMan (193) - Idaho, USA - JUN 7, 2009
2009 vintage (wait? nah.) ENORMOUS head. Sweet aroma. Strong, sweet, malty, surprisingly smooth flavor. Lots of alcohol.

Wolfenkopf (193) - Villa Park, Illinois, USA - FEB 1, 2011
This review is for the 2010 run. The aroma is chalky and malty, medium in body, but not overly enticing. The head is off-white and disappears as if afraid of its own shadow. The brew itself is a gorgeously deep brown. The taste malty and pleasant, but like a bomb going off, I received the most harsh sourness just after the first swig. I was certain that I had happened upon a bad bottle, but taking another, the sourness was not there. It did not appear again until much further into the bottle, and then much less severe. At the bottom of the bottle, the sourness was not to be found. I am certain that the sourness was an anomaly. Silky smooth on the palate, the carbonization is not strong. Overall, an enjoyable ale save for the random attack of sourness that I hope will not be in the next bottle I am sure to have.

walrussell (192) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 24, 2009
Tastes like whiskey, and it only tastes more like whiskey as it warms. It is pretty sweet, but the sweetness is countered by a generous hop presence and pleasant alcohol burn. Honey flavors, very warming, suprisingly easy to drink.

ivan9856 (192) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - NOV 17, 2005
The 12 oz. bottle is labeled 2004. It pours with a clear dark amber body, and a large, tight tan head with average lacing. Aroma is rich caramel and floral hops, with a touch of alcohol. Palate entry is honey sweet, with mid-palate flavors of beef broth, caramel, toffee, raisin, cherry and fruit esters like ripe banana. The is a nice well-hopped finish with slight alcohol warming. Very good.

Imperial-John (192) - Mississauga, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 1, 2008
2006 bottle. Bubbly murky brown with creamy tan head that coats glass as it thins. Sweet oakey whiskey aroma. As aroma would suggest, wweet oakey raisin whiskey taste with clean aftertaste. Very warming and so smooth for 13.25%. It brought a tear to my eye as I drank this as it is the last of the 2 I had. This and Old Rasputin are 2 of my highest ratings. Thank you North Coast, hope to see you again soon.

Lectvay (191) - Boise, Idaho, USA - DEC 6, 2013
2013 bottle at Brewforia Eagle. Pleasant malty sweetness, smooth for 11.9% but slightly medicinal. Mouthfeel is light and tingly, doesn?t seem right for this style.

I.C.suds (189) - Da U.P. eh?, Michigan, USA - AUG 15, 2004
This brewery never quits! Dark orange color with a tan head. Sweet malts and generous hops. A nicely balanced beer. I had no idea it was 11.4% untill the label started getting blurry.

cernjoh (188) - Ohio, USA - APR 3, 2014
2014 bottle poured into a snifter. Aroma was somewhat boozy. Appearance was a clear red amber with a very small light tan head that rapidly vanished. Taste was fairly boozy with dark fruits, prunes, raisins, plums. Palate was excellent. This beer is definitely a sipper and can use some age. I have multiple years of this beer and they can be aged a number of years with great results. I highly recommend setting some aside.