overall
RATINGS: 2151   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 357   ABV: 11.9%
As a continuation of North Coast Brewing Co.’s commitment to quality, our Old Stock Ale is crafted in the tradition of our critically acclaimed Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. It’s brewed with classic floor-malted Maris Otter Pale Malt and Fuggles Hops imported from England, so it’s a beer to be served proudly. Like a fine wine, North Coast’s Old Stock Ale is intended to be laid down. With an original gravity of over 1100 and a generous hopping rate, Old Stock Ale is well-designed to round-out and mellow with age. North Coast Brewing Co. Old Stock Ale is a vintage dated ale. We produce a small quantity each year and it remains available from release date until our stock is depleted.

pre-2006 ABV: 11.4%.
2006 vintages: 11.6% & 13.25%.
2007 vintage: 11.7%.
2013 vintage: 11.9%
2014 vintage: 11.8%
2015 vintage: 11.9%

lethe (177) - New York, USA - JUL 12, 2006
2005 edition. Rich, deep pour with a brown that tips toward black and has a sweet nose of toffee, brown sugar and plum. Palate is velvety thick with a careful amount of carbonation. Flavor is more of the dark richness with a dominating buttery toffee tone throughout. This is excellent. It seems very much in vein with an English barley tradition of layered malts and little hop intrusion. Boozey, blissful and blustery this is one of the best barleywines I’ve had.

PhillyHomeBrew (176) - Forest Hills, New York, USA - APR 24, 2008
raisiny aroma with a little bit of a boozy smell. There is also an acidity aroma, maybe grapefruit. There is a bit of a metallic flavor, but that is overcome by the yeasty flavor and a barleywine flavor.

Fulkrum78 (175) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - OCT 27, 2005
I tried this in a bottle in Atlanta. Very good stuff though a little on the sweet side. Very drinkinable, but definitel notes of the acohol in it as you would expect with this big of a beer. I’d get more of it if I could!

FLnative80 (174) - Orlando, Florida, USA - MAR 21, 2007
Bottle. 2006. 12 FL. OZ. Pours very brown with a hint of red and very little head that eventually disappears. No lacing either. Aromas of raisin and butterscotch. Fairly full-bodied with very little carbonation. Flavor is smooth and sweet with a long finish. Although you can tell its in there, this beer hides its 13.25% well.

beerstop (173) - Roanoke, Virginia, USA - JAN 27, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 5, 2003 Strong alcohol presence, nice balance between the malt and bitterness. Worth trying again.

Justin666 (172) - - SEP 17, 2016
Amber colour, medium lacing. Aroma resembles brandy. A full bodied beer, with strong flavours of caramel and toffee cultimating in a long finish. Very good.

Keil (171) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUL 10, 2011
2010: Aroma is fruity, boozy, some notes of leather. Pours a dark brown. Taste is malty and sweet with a strong alcohol finish. Not too bitter. Fruity yeast notes and malty sweetness dominate this one. Taste that leathery-tobacco leaf. 2011: Barely no nose. Faint fruit notes. Pours a transparent dark brown. Taste is much sweeter, much more intense. Lots of booze and heat. Notes of leather again. Much more bitter this time around. Really strong alcohol finish. Not the same roundness as the 2010, malt backbone isn’t as strongly supported.

Loddeer (171) - USA - OCT 16, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 19, 2004 Damn! Now we’re talking. First off I did not check the alcohol content until after I drank this. I was stunned when I saw this was 11.4%. I never even noticed since I was really blown away by how smooth, gentle, and warming this ale was. It has incredible depth and really has one of the best sweet malt tastes I have had. I feel this blows away Old Rasputin. Also, it has great smell and apperance. An excellent choice, I am extremely pleased, this was an awesome ale.