overall
RATINGS: 1052   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.01/5   IBU: 22   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
Named for the delicate engravings popularized by 19th century seafarers, Scrimshaw is a fresh tasting Pilsner brewed in the finest European tradition from Munich and Klages malts, Hallertauer and Tettnang hops. Scrimshaw has a subtle hop character, a crisp, clean palate, and a dry finish.

BeerRules (243) - Houston, Texas, USA - OCT 26, 2005
Slightly orange color, much darker than the other pilsners ive tried. Aroma was doughy and a bit citrucy. Taste was malty with grassy notes and a slightly bitter finish. Was quite dry. Mouthfeel was crisp and mouth coating. Pretty good, with I had some of this during the summer.

Veeve (312) - Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA - OCT 20, 2005
I would drink this one again but I wouldn’t buy it. I got really excited when I poured the beer because it looked like hefeweizen at first (even though I knew it was a pilsner) but I’m hefe fan. anyways.... it pours like a pilsner. light and golden but this one has hints of orange and copper in it. very small and thin white bubbly head that settles to the tiniest barely there layer. lacing. corn and citrus (lemon) and some caramel malts. quite a bit of caramel malt that lingers in the aftertaste. which is the best part. the caramel in the back of your mouth. watery mouthfeel though not too watered down flavor as you can tell from the above comments. its ok.

Scubatrip (610) - Annandale, Virginia, USA - OCT 20, 2005
Pours a clear, dark yellow/light orange from the bottle. Head is white and bubbly, sticks around the edges and rim. Not a very deep aroma of corn and light malts, tastes of bland, with an unfortunate aftertaste. Nothing to write home about, but I’d drink it again if it was offered to me.

11026 (1772) - Alabama, USA - OCT 17, 2005
Bottle. Pours a light amber color, very clear. Moderate sized white head and some lacing left. Aroma is lightly sweet and toasty, a little bit of earthy hop presence also. Light bodied. Decent mix of malt and hop, slightly drying, not as crisp as I would have liked. Nice lingering hop presence in the finish. Decent.

npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - OCT 12, 2005
There’s ind of a dusty, musty, slightly fruity nose emanating from this hazy yellow brew. If I want pils, I want hops, and this just isn’t showing them. Instead, it evinces a thin, fruity flavor, which, though not altogether unpleasant, is not at all what I look for in "beer."

timmy300 (203) - bloomington, Illinois, USA - OCT 6, 2005
pretty good session beer from north coast.....a little sticky im the mouth.....went well with peperoni pizza....

1FastSTi (3360) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 4, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 28, 2006 Thanks Chuck! Pours to a glowing gold body with a thin white head. The lacing slides right off the side of the glass. The aroma is strange. Biscuity and cheesecakey. You’ll be surprised that it smells like that. Strong Tettnang hops. Did they use the Hallertauer as the bittering hop and the Tettnang as the aromatic? The flavor is a clrean, crisp aromatic hop with some nice refreshing malt. Light sourdough bread. Not bad, just not exciting. Seems to be decently made. The palate is medium-light and crisp and refreshing. 6, 3, 5, 3, 12 = 2.9

I thought I hadn’t had this already, so I picked one up. It pours to a nice golden body. Thin white head. The aroma is dry, herbal, sourdough, cheesecake. The taste is biscuity and sourdough bread. Moderate palate. Not much different from what I’m reading of my old rating. 6, 3, 6, 3, 12 = 3.0

MIBRomeo (2570) - Wisconsin, USA - OCT 4, 2005
golden copper color small white head dissapated quickly. Hot smell sweet carmel and some yeast. Very thin palate but some what well coated. sweet flavor lots of grains some honey. Not a bad pilsener but not that good either.

Nel (180) - Virginia, USA - SEP 28, 2005
wow...a pretty sweet tasting pleasant pilsner. Good for them. Pours out a nice gold color. What a badass shark fin with a whale in it.

yayforbeer (753) - Orange Park, Florida, USA - SEP 16, 2005
Pours golden with a small white head that doesn’t last long. North Coast makes an honest effort, but the end result is uninspiring. I find pilseners in general to be a lame style of beer, and while this rises above the average offering of the style, its not high enough to be remarkable. Moderately flavorful for the style. Crisp and lightly hoppy. Body is better than the average macro. Its just not what I’m looking for in a beer. $7.99 for a six pack at Broudy’s, Orange Park, FL.