overall
RATINGS: 2226   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
Arrogant Bastard Aged with oak chips.

cbkschubert (2901) - BFE, Arizona, USA - NOV 11, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 9, 2007 2006 12 oz. bottle from Plaza Liquor - Pours a deep amber color with a big size off white head. Nice lacing. I guess its the oak I’m smelling. It’s just a little off. Taste like a toned down AB. Medium to full body. A good beer, but I’m glad I didn’t buy a full case.<P> Sampled again 5 months later. Oak aroma and flavor has mellowed. Vanilla is coming through nicely.

Heathen (1500) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - NOV 11, 2006
Twelve-ounce bottle. Dark brown with small, off-white head that dissipated quickly and didn’t lace much. Had a sweet, citrus aroma. Almost overpowering citrus, pine and wood taste, which took a few sips to get used to. Oak came out more with warmth. It’s been about nine months since my lest regular Arrogant Bastard, so I really can’t compare the two, but I definitely remeber enjoying the original more. Still a pretty good beer, but I don’t think it was worth the nearly $16 I paid for the six-pack.

jimbowood (1036) - Freeport, Georgia, USA - NOV 10, 2006
Bottle courtesy of Naven. The oak definitely adds some depth and complexion to this already great beer. Very good.

Pailhead (6539) - Rochester Hills, Michigan, USA - NOV 10, 2006
Bottle: Aroma is definitely more mild with the hops which brings out a moderate peach aroma with some wood and mild citrus hops. Pours a transparent amber with a moderate off-white head and very good lacing. Like the aroma, the flavor is much more mellow wtih a strong peach presence. Citrus hops in the finish are very subdued with some mild woodiness. The oak aging really does a lot to tame the beer. I prefer the regular AB.

Cliff (355) - The Land of Milk and Honey, Ohio, USA - NOV 10, 2006
This wasn’t too good. Pours a hazy mahogoney with a ligh tan head. Aroma of being in the wood section of Home Depot. The pine aroma of the hops emphasizes the intense wood aroma. carries into the flavor, not so much oak, just wood. Cuts into the flavor of the hops. Good mouthfeel and a bitter aftertaste. I’ll take the original over this any day of the week.

HopheadHans (804) - Bay Area, California, USA - NOV 9, 2006
Bottle. Well, this one disappointed me. I would imagine that licking a 2x4 would get you the same results. Way too woody not even oaky. The hoppiness of the regular bastard is over shadowed by aromas and flavors of simple wood. Yikes, bring on the double bastard.

asmithbeer (71) - California, USA - NOV 9, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 22, 2012 Medium amber pour with good fizzy head. Aroma is a little sweet and sour, very hoppy. Flavor is hoppy but very smooth, the oak is a nice mellow addition. Slighly watered down on the finish.

TomDecapolis (4618) - Milton, Delaware, USA - NOV 9, 2006
Pours a translucent darker amber with an average creamy off white head. Aroma of vanilla, woody, citrus and grapefruit. Flavor was lots of vanilla and oak. Followed by a nice hop bitterness yet balanced with a malty sweatness. Would be nice to try this side by side with a standard AB.

dogfishho (669) - Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA - NOV 9, 2006
Sampled out of one of the new 12 oz bottle from the 06 release. I have been waiting to try this for a long time. The aroma was similar to the standard AB, but as can be expected, there was an adiitional oaky character to it amongst the citrusy hops. The flavor, again was standard AB, but the oak character contributed a smooth vanilla flavor that, in contrast to the hops, gave the Oaked Bastard a much sweeter and well-balanced overall flavor profile. This was really delicious. This beer did feel somewhat watery on the palate, but this is the only detraction I can take from it. Fantastic. I wish that the standard AB was aged in the oak chips.

mjg74 (3106) - La Mesa, California, USA - NOV 9, 2006
Tap, San Diego Brewing. Dark amber/ruby pour. Fruit and citric hop aromas. Strong wood character. Seems to make the finish a bit hoppier than normal AB. Some dark fruits. Tastes like a tree, I think. Interesting and still holds alot of good qualities.