overall
RATINGS: 2226   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
Arrogant Bastard Aged with oak chips.

surffisher (198) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - APR 21, 2008
12 oz 2006 bottle. Pours an opaque, cloudy peachy amber with a frothy, fine yellowish-tan head that mostly dissipates and leave nice lace. Aroma is dominated by aged, oxidized notes of wet cardboard along with some nice dark fruits (prune, some citrus) and a touch of freshness well underneath - an interesting combo. Flavor is very bitter tempered by an earthy, woodsy character and some fresher, piney hops. Medium bodied and smooth, but a bit watery. Not my favorite but definitely a tasty and unique strong ale.

dirt55 (198) - Washington, USA - DEC 8, 2008
bottled, mod dark brown pour with small brown head, aroma of spices mixed with light oak, sweet and spiced flavor with nice oak finish, mildly hoppy palate, good stuff.

Cruzan59 (197) - Lititz, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 5, 2008
12oz bottle at Annie Bailey’s Irish Pub, Lnacaster, PA...right up there with my SAB rating, yet smoother. Excellent.

rollerton (194) - SWEDEN - AUG 17, 2015
Bottle at Haket. A very muddy look, dark and with granules of oak(?). Aroma of strong, malty ale and whisky, at least a hint of oak. Taste is complex and rich. A surprisingly good ale!

bigabe (194) - California, USA - FEB 21, 2011
This is a heavy bitter one. Stone doesn’t give an IBU measurement on it, but I’m guessing that it is 100+. First sip made me think I made a mistake... then I let my glass sit a while and warm up a bit and that made the beer 10x better. This thing is like drinking a nice malty stout, a hoppy bitter IPA, a shot of whiskey, and smoking a good cigar all at once.

DirtyMartini (194) - Los Angeles, California, USA - FEB 28, 2007
if youve read my comments about arrogant bastard, you will know its one of my least favorite beers. that said, i thoroughly enjoyed the oaked version. something about the oak has added a mellowness that seems to balance out the overly bitter hops of the regular version. i find this to be much more balanced than the regular version and wish they would just do away with the original, and make this all the time instead.

hopslovin (194) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - SEP 7, 2007
Deep brown pour, a bit of ruby on the edges. Thick tan head that diminishes into a thin film and lace. Sweetness, vanilla, oak and a bit of alcohol on the nose. A bit of hop bitterness with sweet malt in the flavor. Smooth finish that abrubtly turns to bitterness. The oak definately mellows the flavor.

Bobsy (194) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 18, 2008
The drink pours a dark mahogany, and the tan head leaves generous sheets of lacing. Mmm...citrus and pine in the aroma, along with some oak and vanilla. This should be interesting. At first the flavour isn’t as bitter as I expected, and I can taste tobacco leaves amongst a smooth vanilla-caramel sweetness. Then the pine and citrus flavours kick in, bringing a good deal of oak along for the ride, before tailing off into a pleasing bitterness. The body is medium, extremely smooth, and delicious. This is one relaxing drink. I had extremely high expectations for this after really enjoying a bottle of Ruination I brought back from vacation, and I’m really pleased to say that I was not disappointed.

DigitalMan (193) - Idaho, USA - MAY 17, 2009
UPDATED: SEP 10, 2009 After trying several different regular Arrogant Bastards, I’ve sort of concluded that it may be a bit of a temperamental beer... that when really fresh, it’s really hoppy/bitter... but near or past its printed date, it can be flat or just "off". The Oaked bottle I got is great just like the best Bastards, but with a smoother front end and a more lasting finish (where the oak is noticeable to me). Nice one.

Jerm719 (193) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - DEC 6, 2013
Woody improvement to a classic. Great balance. Oak chips give more complexity to this ale. Balanced hops. I prefer this to the original, yet nothing special.